4.0 out of 5 stars A Great resource for any climber, 10 Feb 1999
This review is from: How to Rock Climb (Paperback)
This book is a great book to start with. It briefly adresses most all skills in the world of rock climbing. It is well illustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written guide for the newbie, 22 Jan 2012
Beth McCraw (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Rock Climb! (Paperback)
I picked up the second edition of this book in my local library after having taken a 'taster session' at my local climbing facility and appreciated the book so much, I'm now purchasing this updated edition so that I'll always have a copy of my own. The clarity of his explanations along with the photos & illustrations accompanying them does a terrific job of explaining the moves along with where and how to use them.

But aside from all the technical need to knows, he also does really well on providing the etiquette as well as reiterating safety tips, which I think often doesn't get enough mention in an 'extreme' sport. Plus he has a very friendly 'voice' to his writing style, you can imagine him standing there saying as much to you as your climbing partner.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to understand , teaches you the neccessary skills, 29 Aug 1999
This review is from: How to Rock Climb (Paperback)
I first picked up this book while in a outdoor store with my brother. I only read for 10 min. or so, then I had to leave. Durring that short period of time I learned the undercling, and liebacking. I went rock climbing for my first time a few days later and tose 2 skills helped me out alot. I eventually bought the book and it has tought me so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very accessible book !!, 24 Aug 1999
This review is from: How to Rock Climb (Paperback)
I wanted to learn the basics of climbing if for no other reason than to understand other climbing books and films. After an hour I understood the basic concepts, tools and techniques. Now I can re-read Climbing High, Into Thin Air,... (One caption in the third edition attributes the first ascent of Everest to Willi Unsoeld. To the best of my knowledge it was Jim Whittaker.)

How to Rock Climb!
How to Rock Climb! by John Long (Paperback - 1 Feb 2005)
Used & New from: 0.79