1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly helpful, 25 Aug. 2003
Jl Metcalf (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paris: 1000 of the Best Places to Eat, Drink and Shop (Virgin Pocket Guides) (Paperback)
When I first received my copy of this book, I leafed through it very quickly and wasn't impressed. However, when I started actually reading it, I quickly changed my mind! It isn't a traditional guide book such as Lonely Planet, Let's Go, or Time Out (though I heartily recommend all three of those, as well), but instead is completely categorized in a very easy-to-read fashion.
The categories are divided as such: shopping, restaurants and cafes, bars, clubs, gay scene, entertainment, events, sights, body and soul (beauty and hair essentially), games for a laugh, hotels, practical information, transport, phrasebook, and maps.
But in the front, you can also look up a specific arrondissement to find out which of the above categories are included. Thus, it's extremely user-friendly, so you can check out a category for everything in Paris or just one arrondissment. But the book doesn't just list the name, address, and phone number. It also gives some information about the establishment or landmark, which is very valuable.
What was surprising is that many of the entries are not the same old ones found in most guide books! I found some off-the-wall restaurants, clubs, and record stores that I may never have found otherwise!
I wouldn't recommend this as the only guidebook to read for Paris, but for those vaguely familiar with the most beautiful city on earth, it's a wonderfully refreshing bevy of treats.

Paris: 1000 of the Best Places to Eat, Drink and Shop (Virgin Pocket Guides)
Used & New from: £1.88