on 1 November 2010
I would commend this book as an essential text for anyone who is new to the world of messy qualitative research, or for people who have been working in the field for many years but with little real rigour in what they do. The book is pitched perfectly and is accessible and readable, using consistent examples throughout the chapters to illustrate the points being made. It gives advice on the entire process involved in qualitative research, from research design through practical fieldwork tips to the analysis and write-up of the data.

In large part, this is all done extremely well. The only downside to this book is that it is now slightly out of date, and as such, it doesn't take account of the IT advances we have seen in recent years. For example, the book takes something of a purist approach to analysis of qualitative data, based as it is upon the National Centre for Social Research's (NatCen) Framework Analysis approach which - at time of writing - was very much based upon constructing a paper-based index of coded transcripts. However, developments in programs like MS Excel and NVivo in recent years means that it is now possible to combine use the Framework Analysis approach as a guide for the coding/indexing stage of working with transcripts, before turning to NVivo and/or Excel as a hugely useful tool in retrieving/organising the coded sections electronically.

That said, the book never claims to provide the last word in qualitative research methodology, but rather aims to disseminate the Framework Analysis gospel. This in itself is no bad thing, because the approach helps to bring structure and rigour to the daunting field of qualitative research, which for too long has been seen as lacking in credibility and objectivity. For people working in qualitative research, this book (along with Colin Robson's excellent "Real World Research") is incredibly helpful and instructive.
on 10 December 2004
This book is excellent for anyone wishing to learn more about how to actually do qualitative research. It is very readable and accessible, with clear explanantions, particularly the philosophical underpinnings of research,methods of analysis and issues of generalisabilty.
I have found it extremely useful both for guiding research and for teaching undergraduate and masters level students. It is certainly my favourite of all the qualitative research books I've used so far. Well worth buying.
on 5 October 2013
I have just started my research degree, and this book marvellously comprises all my knowledge and reading on qualitative research methods. The language is very clear and the structure of the book is coherent. It is a must have for everybody who is attempting research within a degree of any level in social sciences. I am sure I will use it throughout my degree and also in the future if I attempt to do research again.
on 9 January 2014
excellent book to learn basics of qualitative research. I especially liked chapter on framework analysis, its well planned, systematic and gives direction to the steps of framework analysis with suitable examples. I recommend it to all social scientists who wish to learn about qualitative research especially analytic procedures.
on 6 September 2011
As a student qualitative researcher, I found the book Qualitative Research Practice a useful guide to some of the fundamentals of qualitative research particualaly the addressing the qualitative-quantitative gap.
on 22 February 2013
Well worth the read. Excellent section on the Framework approach. The layout for practical examples could be improved.For example pages and pages of text surrounded by a box is not very visual.
on 13 February 2013
This book will guide you how to conduct the qualitative research. It is very easy to read and understand. I really recommend this book for the beginner of qualitative researchers.
on 16 November 2013
Excellent book for social science students and researchers interested in qualitative research. I will recommend it to all my university colleagues.
on 13 March 2014
A fairly easy book to use and one I used as I got started in my research. The book arrived quickly, and it was in excellent condition.
on 17 October 2008
i've found this book good, but not so practical. other qualitative research books are more hands-on, this one it very theoretical. for instance, i have found it useful to prepare exams/dissertations, but not for real research work

i would only recommend it for people that alreay has a bit of a basic knowledge on the topic, not for starters

the examples are ok, though