5.0 out of 5 stars Two books in one
This book fills an important niche: most statistics books do not include all the terminology used in SPSS in the index, so it is often impossible to make informed choices about which of the many options to use without consulting a statistician. SPSS manuals, on the other hand, explain what features are available, but not the theory behind them.
This book explains...
Published on 28 Mar 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Fairly average material which is more tedious than comical
The author comes across as very genial but in this statistics book his approach is more likely to annoy than enthuse. There is a reasonably good range of material here although it often is not presented with enough depth. In summation I think this book would be suitable for absolute beginners who don't mind reading through pages of irrelevant banter to get to the...
Published on 5 Dec 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Two books in one, 28 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Discovering Statistics Using SPSS for Windows: Advanced Techniques for Beginners (Introducing Statistical Methods series) (Paperback)
This book explains complex statistical techniques in a way that anyone of modest intelligence can understand, whilst also being an excellent manual for SPSS. It also concentrates on the more complex statistical techniques, such as MANOVA and logistic regression, which many books still seem to regard as exotic irrelevances, but which are becoming the first-line tools of most researchers in the social and biomedical sciences.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 20 Mar 2002
this book is a MUST for anyone wishing to 'fast-track' their knowledge of statistics. It teaches via concepts and application rather than bewildering formulae. After reading one page I guarantee you will have an 'aha' moment (as in "Aha, I've always wondered what that meant!"). Great for beginners or advanced strugglers (like me!).

5.0 out of 5 stars I had to do this when I saw the two-star rating!, 30 Sep 2001
By A Customer
I had much difficulty with the statistics on my Psychology degree course, and even more difficulty when I was introduced to the SPSS program! That was until I bought this book, which not only made me understand SPSS but also the statistics that I had struggled with. Andy field was a lecturer at my university until quite recently and his refreshing style maintained our interest and made us laugh. I feel that this also comes across in his book. Buy this if you want to understand statistics and SPSS - it is excellent in both respects!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, one I can't recommend highly enough!!!, 26 Feb 2001
By A Customer
A disagree entirely with the above reviewer. I have a BSc. in Psychology and am now completing my PhD in Psychology so I would hope that I know a fair amount of statistics relating to my subject. Even with this knowledge I find this book an invaluable source of reference covering all the topics I need in great detail. However, this is not the best thing about this book, it really is quite fun to read and everything is explained exceptionally well. I recommend it to all the undergraduates I supervise and so now I am recommending it to you. In summary it is excellently written, the statisitcs are well explained and extremely thorough, and the potential maze of SPSS statistics becomes a lot clearer.

5.0 out of 5 stars inexperienced statisticians, 4 May 2003
George H Marshall (Irvine, Ayrshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
Let's face it; SPSS is a scary program unless you're a mathematician. I've done research that I need to make sense of, and have been given SPSS without any instruction or help. OK, you can find your way around SPSS if you are semi computer literate, but you will never use 10% of SPSS's capacity in a month of Sundays. So, what capabilitieis do you use? Most of the SPSS books that I've read assume a more than basic understanding of statistics, or simply concentrate on the number-crunching capability of SPSS. Field does neither and the title is actually accurate. He does try and get you to understand statistics by using SPSS. OK, he's not infallable, some of the examples that he uses are very simple and can be difficult to relate to complicated research. But, by and large, it is a very good book to use if you are a research student who just wants to analyse your survey, or whatever and have an understanding of what SPSS can do and why it does it. Contrast with the SPSS Survival Manual, which is superficial and raises more questions than it answers. There are a lot of SPSS books out there. Field's book is enough for most students.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book if you need to know about SPSS and statistics, 8 Dec 2000
I have to disagree with the first reviewer. If you want to know how to use SPSS, it is hard to find a book that covers the statistics you are doing. If you want to know about statistics, you are stuck, unable to analyse your data with SPSS.
This book covers both very well.
If you can do statistics, and want to know how to use SPSS, this is not the book for you. If you want to know how to use SPSS and learn about statistics, this book does exactly what it says on the cover.
And with a humorous approach, missing from many texts.

4.0 out of 5 stars extremely helpful and practical!!!!, 2 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This is a book suitable even for those who has no previous knowledge on SPSS at all!!! however, it is so practical and logical that can help you acquire such knowledge in one night, believe me!!! nonetheless, the multiple regression is not clearly explained, which is probably the only fault is the whole book!!! It would be perfect when working with research projects

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not your grandfather's statistics book!, 9 April 2003
I am a public health professional who uses SPSS quite frequently and this is the best introductory book on spss and statistics that I have come across.
It is written in a light-hearted manner while at the same time covering a tremendous amount of ground. The examples used are refreshing and particularly relevent to today's generation--for example looking at interactions between the effect of alcohol on attractiveness of mate selection. The author guides you through different types of analyses in SPSS so you can learn by doing. I recommend this book to everyone, it is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcome your fears of SPSS and quantitative stats in one go, 22 May 2001
By A Customer
...Andy Field should be congratulated for making life so much easier for those of us who have tried to make both SPSS and quantitative statistics that little bit more bearable to learn! No book is perfect, but there again, neither is research. With some imagination and a bit of elbow grease on the reader's part, this book helps to cover many of the pertinent statistical techniques for Exercise and Sport Science students (my area of expertise/interest). The CD-Rom is packed full of great data sets that allow the user to explore the techniques first hand. In my mind, all that appears to be missing is a section on how best to present research findings (e.g. F-ratios, alpha levels) as we might expect to see them in peer reviewed journals - my students often struggle with this transition from analysis to publication. Well done Andy and thank you for writing such a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE book for anyone involved in statistical analysis, 4 Nov 2004
It is always difficult to do a PhD and let alone in another language. And to add to the problem, I had to do complicated statistical analysis without having a clue about what I was doing most of the time (never had attended a course in statistics before). This book was like a private-on-call-teacher to me throughout my PhD. Never thought I would manage but now i can confidently say that I am an SPSS expert (well, with Andy's book backing me up...). I recommended this book to a friend and she was also impressed.
I always planned to write to the author and thank him but with being so busy never got around it (I am sure he knows what it means doing a PhD). So this message is kind of a delayed THANKS!