5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent text book
Published on 29 Nov. 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too cerebral for me. Is there a MSc for dummies?
I don't have time to be exhaustive, but this book was for me a complete waste of money. I wanted a book that would tell me how to write my Masters Dissertation..... The title kinda fits, does it not? What I really needed was a prescriptive, write this section (in this way for most marks) and then this section.
etc. etc. This is one of the most unreadable text books...
Published on 9 Aug. 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent text book, 29 Nov. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Doing Your Masters Dissertation (SAGE Study Skills Series) (Paperback)
This isn't the simple 'how to do book' for dummies who ought not to be on a Masters level course. It's a long book yes but crammed full of good advice and knowledge. It's for the serious postgraduate student whether Masters or Doctorate. Chapters on finding a topic, developing a research proposal, sampling and research methods are invaluable. The chapter on methodological assumptions is one of the few in the literature to make sense of ‘theories’. The chapter on methodological consequences shows what we commit ourselves to when we make choices about what methodological position to take: the examples from sociology, psychology and anthropology are fascinating. The chapter on different types of dissertation made me see there are choices. This is a pedagogical textbook that refuses to ‘dumb-down’, that uses lots of diagrams to explain complex ideas, issues and debates in the social sciences. The appendices list sources on different research methods – very useful. The skills it embraces are those recommended by the UK research councils that all postgraduate students should acquire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Detailed ....., 25 Jan. 2006
Looking for as much help as I can, I needed to purchase a book that gave enough guidance for me to complete my dissertation. This certainly was the book, very detailed and thorough.
I will say it is a little complicated as I read in one review. However, thinking about it, you are completing your masters dissertation, it in essence should not be easy, it might take a little bit of work!!!
Its not the type of book that you can flick to a page and find out what you need. You need to read the book from cover to cover. Mainly because the author often talks about issues that are related to previous issues you need to read etc.
Good book Mr. Hart, but please improve the research methodology section!
Cheers,
James Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and Helpful, 6 Mar. 2010
Murt O'Seaghdha (Dundalk, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This was one of the recommended books for a masters I'm currently doing. Normally I'd borrow it and take notes. But I'll be needing to refer to it frequently over the next few months. So I decided to buy it. Its very comprehensive, combining theory and practical helpfulness, for anyone doing a masters research dissertation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Aug. 2013
Prospero77 "Prosp77" (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The variety of dissertations covered is what sets Christopher Hart's book aside for me. There are so many MA 'Guides' out there but this book is, like previous Hart publications, extremely well organised and visually pleasing to read. I've been referring to this regularly during my Masters and it has proved invaluable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buyer experience., 3 July 2014
Product is exactly as ordered, so nothing but credit due!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy, you wont regret the purchase, 29 Dec. 2014
Essential purchase, very helpful, recommended by university.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 25 April 2010
Great book. Well advised for anyone who wants to do well in their dissertation or assignments building up to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too cerebral for me. Is there a MSc for dummies?, 9 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
etc. etc. This is one of the most unreadable text books out there. OK quantum mechanics for russian cosmology professors is a little trickier, but I have just totally wasted £20.
This reads more like a PhD thesis, loosely hung around the pretence of a text book. Rubbish. Nice door-stop though

Doing Your Masters Dissertation (SAGE Study Skills Series)
Doing Your Masters Dissertation (SAGE Study Skills Series) by Christopher Hart (Paperback - 16 Dec. 2004)