on 7 December 2002
I have great respect for Linda Dobson's work, and own most of her books - on the strength of past experience, I pre-ordered this one before publication, but it didn't live up to expectation. Although the first couple of chapters are great, the rest of the book reads to me like a collection of ideas from an HE mailing list. While there is nothing wrong with that per se, I feel the activites lack a clear context or background, and I can't imagine how I would use it. My advice would be to spend your money on one of Linda's other excellent books, join a couple of email lists, and pose some questions there about activities. If you want more specific information, I prefer the Peggy Kaye series of books.
on 3 February 2013
As a previous reviewer said, this book is a bit "copy and paste" from HE boards; it lacks focus and ideas are scattered far and wide. I found it too long and wordy to be useful. You could sit and read through it to get the best ideas, or open randomly to pick a project, but we weren't very inspired by either method! It is just too much info by too many people, cobbled together. It is much easier to peruse the best HE blogs and websites to get ideas.
on 6 February 2016