4.0 out of 5 stars Best read with a little visual imagination
As a photographer, the lack of photography in this book does reduce its usefulness for me as a source of inspiration for travel ideas, although the sheer volume of the book probably makes it more suitable for flicking through on a rainy day anyway. The author is obviously well-travelled, and the breadth of coverage in the book is impressive, if possibly a little...
Published on 14 Jan 2006 by Ryan Li

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
This book could have been wonderful, unfortunately it's not! The layout of the book is unfriendly, specific countries do not have page numbers meaning to find eg Italy you need to flick through all of Western Europe. The entries chosen are mostly appropriate with most big name places mentioned however each is followed with a commercial plug for specific hotels or...
Published on 9 July 2004 by J. E. Fowler

5.0 out of 5 stars Around The World Hand Book, 8 Dec 2003
By A Customer
If you love to travel and have a fetish for lists, then this book should be your choice as much as mine. It's a work as provocative as it is encyclopedic.
The guide includes lively explanations as to "why" you would want to go, "basic logistics" information, "prices" and "hotels"; making it both an easy read and insightful travel primer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Coffee-Table Fun, 28 April 2004
Susie (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book lives on my coffee table, and everyone who sees it is immediately drawn to it. We start by looking up places we've been, thenplaces we're going to soon, then places we've always wanted to go to. Itsparks off endless conversations and shared wish-lists. Comprehensiveenough, with an American bias (it is compiled by an American, and the USgets a large chunk of the book), there is a small blurb on each placelisted which is often tantalisingly brief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes with me on every trip, 6 Feb 2014
Jane Baker "jan-bookcase" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Someone in the States gave me this 10 years ago. Before every trip I look to see where I should go, what I should see, where I should eat and I tick every visit I make. It's my traveller's bible. This fat book is a part of my itinerary and has crossed the Antarctic peninsula with me. I don't care that it's heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 10 Oct 2013
It's a good book if you want a reference book or possibly inspiration for where to travel, I had a look though and it really helped me think about where I want to go, it's also fun to see where you've already been, but definitely the place to go if you're looking for inspiration...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present, 6 Aug 2013
This book was a retirement gift for a person who never had a gap year after uni. This amazing book will be ideal for their forthcoming travels. Great delivery too. Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book/gift, 24 July 2013
Teacher (Loughton, Essex) - See all my reviews
I have bought a number of copies of this and given them away as gifts to people. The perfect company for those that like to travel, giving inspiration to people on their holidays. I also have one for myself, which I always refer to when I am going away, and ensure that I try to cover as many of the recommendations as possible. Obviously written with an American audience in mind, but nevertheless it is still well written and interesting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 10 May 2013
This review is from: 1,000 Places to See Before You Die (1,000... Before You Die Books) (Paperback)
Not really interesting. I mean in the era of the Internet that book is simply "passe".
It should have a digital dimension to it otherwise its boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book for travelling, 23 Feb 2011
this book included many of the places that I have travelled to and so I would think that by virtue of this the other places that I've not been to will be worth a visit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Check out the list at the library, 8 Jan 2008
I travel extensively, so I actually use this book when heading out to note some highlights. It is useful for this. It is completely useless for organising a trip, creating viable itineraires, viewing maps, etc. It simply wasn't created for this use. Hotels are all 5* * (with few surprises), restaurants are on the high end and there is no useful information about the sites like opening times, maps, etc.

Having said this, the places listed range from the obvious to some genuine gems. It is simply that, a list of places to see with a short description. If you are a frequent traveler, I would recommend the book. If you are looking for some guidance on your annual holiday, skip it or take a look in the library or bookstore. There are generally a handful of places in each country or state, so you can make some mental notes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and exciting, 30 April 2007
Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I know this book gives you only a brief insight into each place mentioned, but it is only intended to whet your appetite. It has certainly done that for me and has made me want to travel even more than I do. I realise that there are hotels mentioned, but some hotesl are experiences in themselves, such as the Ritz for afternoon tea or afternoon tea at the peninsula in Hong Kong as mentioned in the book. I have done both of these and intend to tick them off at the back of the book. I would recommend this book to anyone one who gets excited about new places and new ideas, I hope. like me, it will make you want to try yet more ideas, for the experience rather than merely ticking them off a list.

1,000 Places to See Before You Die (1,000... Before You Die Books)
1,000 Places to See Before You Die (1,000... Before You Die Books) by Patricia Schultz (Paperback - 28 May 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01