Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2013
I think this is a good book overall but with several "mistakes". It is a good guide line for everybody searching for an inspiration and information to travel, but several parts make me have a bitter sweet felling. In first place the autor indicates only hotels with 5 stars and all very classic and the current world is not looking in that direction. The average person cannot afford all that luxury and some of them do not even want to. To be honest travel should be about the travel it self and the experience. Going to the midle of Nepal to stay in a 5 star hotel seams to me a bit strange. Also the restaurant recomendations are only 5 and 4 stars (most of the times) and everybody knows that this is not the place to eat like the people of the country eat. That you can only find where the locals eat. In my opinion this is a book with a high focus in american society and thats normal as this is an american autor :) for for those who are like me european, living in central europe, that might be anoing, but then again still very good. Places are showed to us with a big accuracy and very well listed. :)
on 17 February 2012
I have an old version of this book and loved it so much that I recently bought an updated copy for a friend. I am tempted to buy myself the new verson as well since it now has colour photos to increase the pleasure of thumbing through it. It is not a substitute for a detailed guide book, rather an inspiration to visit new places with reminders of previous trips
on 17 April 2015
This book is fantastic, packed with information about thousands of places to visit including photos. It even includes ideas for accommodation and restaurants, which is very helpful but it is worth noting that the prices given are in dollars. I look forward to planning a year abroad with my husband using this book as our inspiration!
on 27 September 2013
a very interesting book, not sure i will get round to see all these interesting places before i die, but will try
on 27 August 2013
I had the previous edition of the book & i decided to buy it and gift it to a friend of mine who loves travelling.Synoptically, it gives the guidelines for a trip that someone would like to organize in any place around the world.
on 5 April 2016
I bought this as a retirement present for someone that is looking to travel but loved it so much I'm going to buy one for myself.
Firstly the positives:
Its very comprehensive. You can find somewhere worthwhile visiting in the most remote part of the world.
It's easy and enjoyable to read & will certainly whet you travel appetite.
It's a huge book - whilst not large in terms of landscape size, it has the thin paper pages meaning it crams in an incredible number of pages.
I'd recommend the book over download it it were able so you can make notes, turn down pages, whatever you want. It's definitely a 'working' book, not a coffee table book.
Downsides:
It could be argued it falls between two stools - it is neither a coffee table book, nor an in depth guide book. It skims the surface - which is exactly what I wanted.
As mentioned, there are no glossy pictures - if you liked the sound of something & it conjures up images for you, then great but if you are a visual person, then perhaps its not for you.
The paper is thin so could be easily damaged by rough handling, but agains, this allows for an in incredible amount to be crammed in.

If you bear these points in mind, then you should be happy with the book. I winced at the cost but when it arrived, I do think it's good value - there is so much and I challenge anyone to get close to seeing even half the 1000 places!
on 3 November 2013
f you like to travel this book is perfect for you, it is very informative and gives you holiday ideas, I love it and think that most of my friends would love it too.
on 1 January 2014
A great idea. It has a fair section on the UK as well as the rest of the world. My main gripe is that it is very wordy and the pictures are somewhat limited. So, if you're doing serious research, this may be a useful addition to your library. If you want a coffee table book, look elsewhere.
on 14 December 2013
I bought this for my 24 year old daughter who loves travelling and is always looking for the out of the ordinary places to go. This book is just the right one for her. Informative, interesting and just full of wonderful places to visit. Well worth buying.
on 11 May 2013
Very nice and comprehensive book in deed. I would have liked the book to have more and bigger pictures and maps. The textual content is superb but a few full page pictures and maps would have made it even better.