5.0 out of 5 stars The Title Says it All!
There are more BBQ recipe books out there than you can shake a stick at... But believe me... this one is very different.

Published on 3 Aug. 2009 by Mr. Aa Whatley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough pictures
I bought this for my husbands birthday as he likes to think he's a bit of a whizz on the BBQ... Wanted some more recipes for him to try out and this seemed to fit the job and came with good reviews.
Published on 28 May 2013 by bella

5.0 out of 5 stars The Title Says it All!, 3 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes (Paperback)

Recently I bought a Weber Gas BBQ, a really good one, but after using one of their charcoal grills for many years I was totally disillusioned. Dull, flavorless, limp offerings are the only way to describe my early efforts. It seems only after you have invested your small fortune in a gas BBQ do you learn the truth... You really can taste the difference.

Now I could have given up with it at that point, but I didn't.... I started looking for information on what I was doing wrong. Naturally you turn to the shelves full of recipe books, but that seems to be all they are. You might find the odd page or two at the beginning of the standard recipe book describing the differences between various grills, but really very little on how to get the best out of them.

This book is as much about technique as it is about recipes and that is precisely what I was looking for... not that the recipes are short on the ground either.. And they cover the world over... Just let the book fall open at any page and you will find something to inspire you... guaranteed.

The style of the book is also superb, from the wonderful photo's to Steve's stories around each of the 500 recipe's and backgrounds to the cultures he has explored in his global trek of Grilling nations. No dry, humorless list of instructions here... Each recipe is described as a tale of how he found it and its history.

One possible let down in the book is lack of any Metric measurements... perhaps the publishers should consider this for a future edition as I believe the audience for this book is far wider than the USA.

Even if you never BBQ this book has so much to offer in terms of how to prepare and enjoy food... If I had to choose just one cook book in my life this would be it hands down.

Forget the rest... This really is the Bible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough pictures, 28 May 2013
This review is from: The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes (Paperback)
The American measurements are easy enough to translate so that's not a problem but the downside is the lack of photos / colour in the book. The recipes do look good though and we are keen to try some out whenever we get some sunshine :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my BBQ excel, 27 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes (Paperback)
Over a 14 or 15 year period I must have bought hundred's and hundred's of books from Amazon.com and then Amaxon.co.uk. The Barbecue Bible is maybe the 3rd to move me to write a review.....

I'm sat on the couch now, enjoying the smug, satisfied feeling of a successuful BBQ for friends and family. It's a nice feeling.

I really enjoy bbq grilling but don't know much about cooking. I suppose it's a man thing. Fire, beer, meat...it all adds up to testosterone.

My wife bought this book for my birthday and it is a monster. There are hundreds of receipie's in this book and for my first bbq after receiving the book I picked three to try. My selection criteria was not exactly scientific....good photo, not many ingredients - let's give it a go.

a
I can't recommend this book highly enough. I'm no cook but today I served up a brilliant meal that everyone loved and I'm thrilled.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, and writing, but where are the images?, 15 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes (Paperback)
I really like this book for the recipes and for its guidance on a lot of the styles of Barbecue cooking, but it has a few flaws.

It is nicely structured, reads well and really does help with getting the best out of bits of meat you might not have thought to try on your barbecue but I have one main issue.

This has a real lack of images, and so you can't always relate to what the finished product should look like. Part of the whole aspect of food enjoyment is visual, so to have the small number of finished items is a bit of a strange one to me.

Having said that if you have watched Steve's series - Primal Grill - you will find that not only will you see the finished product you will also see how it is cooked and the techniques he talks about in this book, but should I have to watch the show to get the best out of this really very good book? Maybe there is an assumption that if you read his stuff you will also read his book and vice versa but I don't think that is good enough.

The other issue I have is similar to the issue I had with the other book I have of his - Ribs, Ribs, Ribs - it is very American and takes no account of a different audience. So that means American measurements for ingredients (no big problem as this can be redone with a bit of research) and also American cuts of meat. This is a bit more difficult as UK butchers don't seem to know a lot of the terms in this book - but as this is an American pastime, and is aimed at that market I can't really complain about it too much so only one star is lost.

I really like this book - it has some fantastic insights into how to cook some different techniques to what are normally used in the UK and recommend it even for its flaws.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mustard !, 12 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes (Paperback)
All I'm going to say is.................GRAB YOURSELF A COPY............fantastic book and has everything I'm looking for to develop my grilling skills............very ADDICTIVE !!! oH AND THE POSTAGE WAS VERY QUICK.

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased I bought this book, 16 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes (Paperback)
I bought this book after returning another BBQ book I had ordered and was disappointed with. Not so this book, there is such a wide choice of recipes. If you are only going to buy one BBQ book I would recommend this one it has everything you need to know from choosing the right BBQ for you, right the way through to puddings! I also have his Sauces,Rubs and Marinades which I also love.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only BBQ book you'll ever need!, 27 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes (Paperback)
Purchased this for my husband who uses a standard Weber and a smoker. He loves the rubs and the sauces. I love the marinades and the smoking directions! We have had rave reviews on our BBQ food since we started using this book. We went to a friend's BBQ and had the best ribs outside the States I'd ever tasted! I asked him what his secret was and he whipped out the BBQ Bible! He wouldn't tell me which recipe he used though! A friend from the States had sent it to him as a gift when he purchased his new gas Q. Our rainy UK weather isn't stopping us as many of the recipes are suitable for the oven. In fact, we let our neighbour borrow the book and he made four recipes out of it and his family loved them all including his wife whom I suspect really did the cooking!

The book is easy to use and most of the ingredients are probably in your cupboard right now. The BBQ Bible goes well with beer and wine...highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum., 20 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes (Paperback)
Ordered from Amazon and got the usual very quick delivery and great service. As for the book contents, well, I thought I was OK at BBQ'ing but soon found out from this book that I know nothing and I am not doing it right when it comes to setting-up and lighting the BBQ. I use a charcoal Weber kettle copy, and this book was enormously helpful to guide me through how to arrange coals for different cooking styles. As for the recipes - I have tried a few and they have all been delicious. Many other reviews of this book say they've had many hits at parties using recipes from this book, and all I can say is that I agree 100%. The Thai peanut sauce was devine, as was the honey and sesame prawns. Up to now it's only been hit after hit. Can't wait for next summer already.
If you like to BBQ, you have to own this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of variation in the book makes barbecueing really seem like a culinary speciality, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes (Paperback)
SO MANY RECIPES! Plenty of variation in the book makes barbecueing really seem like a culinary speciality. It has recipes for all meats, fish and veg and can cater for all palates. In particular its method of barbecueing ribs was my favourite as well as adding guava paste to bbq sauce, which made my pulled pork a real crowd pleaser. However, one sticking point for me is that it really doesnt have a recipe for a good basic bbq sauce from scratch, instead it says to mix together a load of shop bought sauces, which I think is beside the point and will probably cost more than simply buying shop bbq sauce, adding brown sugar and honey to ketchup just doesnt cut it as a recipe for me. Apart from that its a great buy. Bear in mind that as there are 500 recipes there are not pictures for all recipes. Word to your mother.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 25 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes (Paperback)
I would honestly say that of the many cook books I own that without a shadow of a doubt this is my favourite of them the recipes are brilliant and are taken from all over the world giving every bbq a little bit of diversity. there are recipes for the bbq novice or the most hardened bbq veteran everyone is able to use it and follow the recipes.

Without this I don't believe that my bbqs would be as good as they are, the book details everything about bbqs showing you how to start the bbq right through to the cooking and provides sections on how long to do your steaks for and its these little touches that make the book one of my favourites.

you should buy this if you bbq for breakfast, lunch and dinner or if you just have one bbq a year and want to make it a good one it is a definite must have for everyone.

The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes
The Barbecue! Bible: Over 500 Recipes by Steven Raichlen (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2008)