5.0 out of 5 stars from Leeds
Loved it! I have been knitting since I was 5 (nearly 30 years) but could never crochet, being left handed neither of my Grans could get their heads round it being backwards, so when I heard this was coming out I was very pleased. I have both Debbie Stollers stitch and bitch books and this is very much in the same vein. Great history, personal stories, and best of all...
Published on 12 Mar. 2006 by Ms. C. L. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves
The instructions and information in this book take up the first half and are excellent. You will find tons of useful information written in a friendly, chatty and enjoyable way. It tells you much of the stuff you really need to know and includes helpful tips. My three stars is for this part of the book alone (and if you double them you get six stars and in my view this...
Published on 25 Oct. 2009 by Louise K

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 413 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book taught me to crochet, 22 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
I had already attempted to learn to crochet around 3 years ago and had given up in sheer disgust, as it just didn't seem to be happening for me. I decided I was probably a knitter and not a crocheter. I only bought this because having enjoyed (and learned knitting from) "Stitch 'n' Bitch, The Knitters Handbook", I thought it might give me some hope, if nothing else. I was really impressed. The instructions are simple and clear, as are the diagrams, and I was able to cast on and crochet a swatch while I progressed through the book, experimenting with the various stitches listed. The series of techniques to learn are laid out in a systematic and sensible fashion throughout the book - this means that while you stretch yourself, you don't get intimidated. I have tried a couple of the patterns too, which were great to for a beginner, and as far as I'm aware they had no mistakes in them (although I'm not an expert). The projects are varied - there are some in particular that would make lovely gifts.

I recommend this highly as a first 'learn to crochet' book - it is written in straightforward language and with Debbie Stoller's characteristically light hearted style. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can finally crochet!, 1 Nov. 2006
F. Pook (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
I bought this book after reading the other reviews. Several times Ive tried to teach myself to crochet only to end up with triangular pieces of fabric as the rows get narrower and narrower. Not any more. One evening with this book and I was doing better than ever before. It is all simply explained and contains interesting facts about crochet - such as the fact it is the youngest of the needlecrafts having only been around for about 200 years. Im desperate to start on several of the projects in the book but first I must get my other projects completed. I thoroughly recommend this book - "it does exactly what it says on the cover"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crochet Queen!, 17 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
This was my first attempt at crocheting and I'm definately not a natural (took me a long time to pick it up and I'm still not great) but this book is excellent, the illustrations and descriptions are really clear. The designs are brilliant and really gave me the motivation to carry on with it (even when I was making a complete hash of it!) Would definately recommend this book to anyone wanting to take up the craft!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I could have bought..., 5 Feb. 2011
Tiny (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
I tried my hand at knitting last year using Debbie Stoller's Stitch & Bitch, which was very easy to use. This year I decided to explore the world of crochet - so when I discovered that there was crochet book in the Stitch & Bitch series I couldn't have been happier! I had no idea how to crochet before picking up the yarn, but within 2 weeks I feel comfortable and confident enough to start a decent project, like making a toy or hat. I couldn't recommend this book more highly to anyone considering taking up crocheting. It's written in a very laid-back and informal style, so if the book was a teacher, it would be the cool favourite one of all the kids, rather than the one that gives stern looks if you so much as sneezed. Definitely the only book you need to learn how to crochet.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!!!, 30 July 2008
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
I bought this after a recommendation from a friend. I had never ever crocheted before in my life and from buying the book on a thursday I was creating my first grannie square by tuesday.

If you read through the instructions slowly, you will soon pick up the knack of this fantastic craft - Im about to start the pattern for a flower scarf (only a week ago I thought Id never understand all the lingo and the diagrams, but again, Debbie makes it very easy to pick it all up).

Im totally obsessed by it now and would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn from the beginning.
One thing - if you read a paragraph and dont totally understand it, re-read it and just take your time with the detail and it soon falls into place and starts to make sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can Crochet at Last!, 5 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
My mum has christened me 'the worst knitter in the world' I just can't get the hang of it! As a joke she said I would be good at crochet as that has as many holes in it as my knitting!! So i decided to give it a go! :)

I tried a couple of tutorials I found on the net and in a pamphlet from my local wool shop but couldn't even manage the chain stitch and was getting very frustrated! After reading the reviews on here I decided to give this book a go!

What can i say, after a couple of hours playing this evening not only have I now mastered the chain stitch (still have to work on the tension but that will come with practice) but I have also managed the double crochet (UK) (single crochet USA) and I am now 100% confident I am holding the hook and wool correctly (I wasn't before)

Short of having someone sat next to you showing you, this is the next best thing! Her descriptions and diagrams are so easy to follow and the book doesn't assume any prior knowledge - perfect for me!

If, like me before i bought the book, you are reading the reviews thinking "instructions and diagrams won't work for me" then i urge you to still give this a go...the instructions are so clear and precise that it is near on impossible to follow them incorrectly and the diagrams show exactly what your hook and thread should look like at each stage!

As others have mentioned, the stitches are the US ones but there is a conversion table which is easy to use and I will probably end up penciling in the UK names next to each title for easy reference!

The patterns are gorgeous too and I am planning on making my sister that pink cowboy hat for Easter!

I am so happy i bought it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather ho-hum, 25 May 2008
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
So many mistakes! I've been crocheting for many years and could probably figure out the errors on my own, but for those just learning I can see how they would be very confused and discouraged. Most of the designs don't appeal to me or anyone that I know regardless of their ages. I have made an afghan from the skull potholder design charts and I've made the Jolly Roger sweater (another skull design) for my daughter. Nothing else appeals to me. If I'd had a look at this book in the shops instead of buying it sight unseen online, I'd have put it back on the shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dive right in!, 25 Mar. 2008
K. Roycroft "LadyK" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
This book is wonderful for anyone wanting to explore crochet. The instructions are great for learners and the photos and diagrams provide extra help when needed. There are loads of different designs and the patterns are fun & varied. This book was the start of my passion for crochet, and it will keep you going for ages. The target audience is teens-20's so there may not be much interest for older crocheters looking to make garments for themselves. The designs are fun & funky and may not appeal to people wanting classic style clothing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
Took me a while to refresh my skills, but this book is almost falling apart now as have made so many things since buying it. I never thought I was creative but this book makes things really easy, although it does help if you know someone who can crochet already at the start to help you out if you go wrong. This book gave me a whole new hobby to persue this winter, and I am proud to say that my hat creations have seen me through the rough weather in funky style. Buy this book if you are at all into home-making. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book For Learning To Crochet, 27 Jan. 2012
Best Book For Learning To Crochet

My Grandmother taught me to knit and sew. I have a vague her showing me how to make a basic crochet chain. That was about as far as I got with crochet. I am sure that my lack of motivation to continue was influenced by the fact that she only ever made doilies. I did not know that you could make things to wear or sleep under in crochet. If only my Granny had shown me the granny square, my crochet obsession would have started many decades earlier.

More than thirty years since last holding a hook in my hand, I picked up this book in the hope that I could tech myself to crochet. I loved the wisecracking style, simple exhalations and diagrams. I was soon making some of the basic items in the book. Even after years of crocheting, I find that I still have cause to refer to it. There are a couple of patterns that have made over and over again. My original copy is starting to fall apart due to overuse. If you want to teach yourself to crochet, this is the book for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 413 | Next ›

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller (Paperback - 25 Feb. 2006)