5.0 out of 5 stars from Leeds
Published on 12 Mar 2006 by Ms. C. L. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves
The instructions and information in this book take up the first half and are excellent. You will find tons of useful information written in a friendly, chatty and enjoyable way. It tells you much of the stuff you really need to know and includes helpful tips. My three stars is for this part of the book alone (and if you double them you get six stars and in my view this...
Published on 25 Oct 2009 by Louise K

5.0 out of 5 stars from Leeds, 12 Mar 2006
Ms. C. L. Martin "theskepknittingandquiltingshop" (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
Loved it! I have been knitting since I was 5 (nearly 30 years) but could never crochet, being left handed neither of my Grans could get their heads round it being backwards, so when I heard this was coming out I was very pleased. I have both Debbie Stollers stitch and bitch books and this is very much in the same vein. Great history, personal stories, and best of all for me patient and well explained instructions. Also loads of very cool patterns - where else would you find a crochet cowboy hat? After very little time I have made a flower and I think mastered the basic stitches. Other patterns are skirt, halter top,i-pod cozies,shawl, scarves, afghans, toys, bags, accesories, cape, slippers, gloves, doormat and more! It was interesting coming to this 3rd book as someone who really needed the basic instructions this time rather than just the funky patterns - now I realise how good her writing is. Fantastic value, can't wait for her next one. P.S. it's still a challenge being a south paw but it's worth a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take it from a crochet virgin, 20 April 2006
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
this is a super book. Neither of my grans can crochet and my mum claimed to know how but when it came to it she actually didn't have a clue. I've tried to learn from online tutorials and other books in the past but they were all useless so I was getting desperate. With this book I learned in less than a week. The instructions and diagrams are clear and the patterns are all nice things you might actually make. My only complaint is that all the patterns are for worsted weight yarn and all the patterns are for branded yarns that I can't find anywhere (the book is American). But that's a small gripe since you can convert them for yarn you like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking crochet!, 5 Jun 2006
K. Hodge (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
This book is amazing. I have tried to learn to crochet before using the "Crochet for dummies" book which made me assume i really was a dummy as i couldn't understand it! I spent many frustrating hours attempting to make things and getting nowhere. However, Debbie Stoller is a genius and in half an hour i had learnt all the different basic stitches as well as how to crochet in a circle. The book is funny as well as informative and has really detailed instructions and pictures. Obviously written by someone who can remember what it's like to have no idea how to crochet! Good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 28 Nov 2006
Jillian Brewster (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
I have always been a knitter & (if I'm honest) looked down on crochet as too frumpy. I am eating my words now. In a few days I have managed to make some georgous flowers for the scarf in the book & I have NEVER crocheted before. Wonderful. And so fast compared to knitting. The book is really clear & the diagrams second to none. If you only want to get one how-to-crochet book then get this one & Happy Hooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaching this knitter to crochet at last!, 24 May 2007
pitmillie (Scotland, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
I have always been a knitter rather than a crocheter and I bought this book originally because I had enjoyed Debbie Stoller's other books - but as this one was crochet, I only glanced at it and it sat on the shelf unread for a long time. Just recently, I found a crochet item that I really wanted to make and The Happy Hooker came down off the shelf at last!

When I read her knitting books, I already knew how to knit but nevertheless I very much enjoyed them - and still managed to learn a lot from her clear and amusing style of writing. So it was interesting to approach this book from the point of view of a beginner to the craft. I'm currently working through the book and not only am I actually learning how to crochet but I'm enjoying every minute of it! Like another reviewer, I've also looked at Crochet for Dummies, which is quite useful but dreary - Stoller's book makes learning a pleasure! I find her instructions and diagrams extremely clear and easy to follow and she seems to explain things that other publications don't.

As a UK reader, I like the fact that she has tables giving the alternate UK and US equivalents for hook sizes, yarn types and stitch names. I'm pencilling in the UK names of the stitches as I get to them. (The Dummies book, by contrast, just briefly mentions the fact that the UK stitch names are different but doesn't tell you what they are! What sort of use is that?)

The book is very witty and sparky, and attractively produced, so the reading is a pleasure in itself, besides the fun of learning a new craft. I've never persevered with crochet before but Debbie Stoller's combination of humour and clarity are carrying me through this time. I've not got as far as making any of the patterns yet but there are quite a few I'd like to try - and I'm an oldie!

5.0 out of 5 stars So clear and easy to follow!, 21 Oct 2006
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
Wow, this is exciting for a crochet book! The instructions are easy o follow and clearly illustrated, the projects funky and modern and although the writer is American she gives European equivalents for hook size and yarn weight.I'm hooked!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Twirl that yarn!, 30 Aug 2006
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
The lady in the yarn store asked me as I bought some beautiful yarn and a crochet hook, "Do you have somebody to teach you to crochet?" I lied and said I did. I was frightened that she would refuse to sell me the yarn otherwise.

I speedily hopped up to the bookshop and before I knew it I was holding in my hands the "friend" who would teach me to crochet: Debbie Stoller's "The Happy Hooker". Later, with my yarn in my hands and the book propped open on the desk in front of me, I taught myself to crochet within the afternoon.

This book is a great tutor, and I look forward to many happy hours twirling that yarn and making beautiful garments and throws, all thanks to The Happy Hooker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Hooking with Debbie Stoller!, 19 May 2007
Jen (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
I had wanted to learn to crochet for years but all the books I had ever looked at were just no good for beginners and I never got anywhere. I found this book on Amazon last October and bought it after reading the reviews on here. I sat down one evening with the book and learnt to crochet basic stitches within a couple of hours. I was a complete beginner who had never even seen a crochet hook before but the instructions and diagrams in this book are so clear and well explained that anyone with a bit of patience can learn. I think the key is that you really need to concentrate and persevere. I got a bit frustrated at first but kept going and eventually, it all began to make sense. I'm usually quite impatient and tend to skim through parts of any instructions but with this book I followed every single line and it paid off.

The book is well written and Debbie is entertaining and really keeps your interest. Some of the patterns are really stunning and even if you don't really like some of them, there is lots of scope to improvise and adapt them to something you would love to wear. So far, I have made a couple of scarves from the book, a hat and the fat-bottom bag but I am planning to make many, many more of the items. There are a few errors and typos but Debbie Stoller's website has clear corrections so if you check them out before starting any pattern, all is fine.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn to crochet - just keep reading and re-reading the basics and keep going and you will get there! I would also recommend it for those who can already crochet as it's a good reference manual for the more unusual stitches, and of course you can never have too many crochet petterns!

4.0 out of 5 stars Too many errata for 5 stars, 1 Sep 2007
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
A good book that I have referred to many times since I bought it. As an experienced crocheter I thought the book might be "too basic" for my taste but I find the patterns interesting and wearable. I have made the short and simple shrug 3 times although I must admit that I have now adapted it to use thinner yarn as being an oldie I prefer a less chunky garment. The bunny slippers are worth buying the book for! Very cute.

Quite a few errata to confuse the unwary and inexperienced. I would have thought that a reprint would have corrected these mistakes by now after all it has been a best seller for a long time or at least an errata page or slip added.

Altogether a good book if you can navigate your way through it. No problem for me but I can see that some of the patterns would cause a bit of head scratching to a novice crocheter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and inspiring!, 5 Dec 2006
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (Paperback)
Debbie Stoller has done a cracking job with this book; the projects are very cute, very cool, and you won't know which one you want to try first. The instructions are so clear, I had no problem picking it up despite being left handed, and a total beginner. Happy hooking!

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller (Paperback - 25 Feb 2006)