4.0 out of 5 stars Instant Therapy (almost!)
Published on 12 July 2004 by Grazza

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good exercises, low quality balls - overpriced product?
Published 15 months ago by angelina

4.0 out of 5 stars Instant Therapy (almost!), 12 July 2004
This review is from: The Miracle Ball Method: Relieve Your Pain, Reshape Your Body, Reduce Your Stress (Paperback)
I'm a born sceptic, yet I was drawn to the novelty of this package. As a long suffering backache victim, I've tried all sorts of ways of getting relief, but the old L4/L5 joints usually don't want to know. Recent encounters with Shiatsu practitioners lead me to believe I had to stretch my lower back and hips in a way I didn't think was wise before. This little package reinforced that viewpoint. OK, the book is fairly small, and there's significant pre-amble about relaxing and breathing, but the 'meat' is quite good, and the relaxation is vital to get the most benefit. I tried the first exercise on the day of purchase - 'Back on the ball'. I have to say (although it sounds ridiculous and incredible after 15 years of chronic pain), that I got more relief from the first half an hour at this than ANY treatment I'd had in all that time! I'm sold! Who'd have thought it? I know that those in chronic pain, including myself, often reach the stage where they'd pay any amount for a little relief. For £14 (and that's the full list price) this has got to be worth a go for anyone. If it helps you like it helped me you'll think this is the bargain of the century! One tiny book and two small rubber balls is all you get, but if I'd paid a therapist £50 per session to feel this good about my back I'd be their greatest fan. Overstatement? OK, try it! You could always sell it on Ebay if it doesn't suit you, but don't dismiss this as just another in the line of latest crazes. And it might just be the best thing you've ever done for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a miracle, but helpful, 1 July 2011
I was given these balls about two years ago by a friend. I had a quick play with them, didn't get any benefit, and buried them at the back of the wardrobe. Whilst having a clear out recently I came across them again and decided to give them another go.

I suffer from muscle tension in my back, neck and shoulders, primarily due to sitting hunched over a computer all day and doing quite a lot of aerobic exercise. I go to a chircopractor once a month, try and stretch as much as possible, and use pain relief gel like Volterol to get by the rest of the time. I've been a bit stressed lately and found that I was using the gel almost every day, so I figured I'd see if the balls could help.

They're not a miracle cure. I didn't suddenly become pain-free, and it took me about an hour the first time I used them to understand the positions, get into them comfortably, practice the breathing, learn how to relax into the balls, etc. However, that over with I'm now using them for about 10 minutes a day and they do help me relax - just the act of lying on them and breathing properly is a good way of taking 10 minutes out of a hectic day as you can't really do anything whilst you're on them without wrecking your position. They feel nice - a bit like the relief you get from a massage (ie. it "hurts" but in a good way), and I've found that whilst I still need the gel, I'm not using it as often.

So if you suffer from muscle tension and want to try something cheap to complement massage therapists, chiropractors etc, these are worth a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Having Pain? Get On the Ball!, 12 Oct. 2009
The Miracle Ball Method: Relieve Your Pain, Reshape Your Body, Reduce Your Stress is a method of pain relief developed by Elaine Petrone after struggling with her own terrible back pain. The key for her, and no doubt many, proved to be proper breathing and decreased muscle tension. Soooo...

The Goal: reduce muscle tension that's causing the pain
The Formula: Weight + Breathing = Release of Tension
How Accomplished: Lay on one or more of the balls in a specified spot
(although the book encourages you to experiment),
breathe properly, and relax. The ball is just a tool to
help you feel the weight of your body.

Don't be turned off by the fact that the book is over 200 pages long- after a brief introduction and a short section on breathing, the vast majority of the book is made up of pictures showing you exactly how to do the exercises. Additionally, its a tiny book and therefore has short paragraphs on each page.

I would have to say that this book will likely benefit many people with chronic pain. Muscle tension is either the major cause of a lot of pain, or at least present due to another cause. Either way, treating muscle tension and learning how to relax will take a big bite out of your pain. Readers with foot pain may also be interested in The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb! Easy... and they work, 28 Mar. 2009
YM (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The Miracle Ball Method really does work. I have struggled with my lower back, having put my spine out of alignment following a tendon injury in 2008, and found myself walking like a pensioner, especially first thing in the morning. I saw these on a visit to the US and bought them when I got back to the UK. They are so good and easy to use and my back has never ever felt this good. I am now tackling a long standing shoulder problem with them. My husband is a convert, my mother and now my pregnant neighbour. The little book that comes with it gives an idea of how to use the balls, but once you get the hang of it you can easily adapt them to your own routine. Now its just a few minutes of my time each day to keep by lower back supple and pain free. I can't recommend them highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle Balls they are!, 6 Oct. 2005
Ms Nicola R. Dunn (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
These have been great for my back ache which is caused by sitting at a desk all day and for my carpal tunnel/rsi. It's almost the perfect exercise - you just lie there and breath. The hardest part is concentrating on relaxing! They have also worked for various running injuries etc. or for just easing the knots out of my shoulders. Best £10 I ever spent!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good exercises, low quality balls - overpriced product?, 15 Jan. 2014
I have a twisted pelvis, scoliosis and S-I joint arthritis, and lots of experience with related muscle tension, sciatica and chronic pain. The exercises described in this small book are among the best alignment & physical therapy exercises I have come across in years. They are well-explained, safe to do on your own at home, not strenuous (compared to regular Pilates or Yoga) and very effective. Depending on your ailments, some of them may be a bit hard to get into and I found it helpful to have a friend check the position of the ball(s) when I couldn't quite feel what was going on.

The two balls that were part of the package, and are used in about 2/3 of the exercises, were unusable. One of them was pumped up to the max (too hard for the exercises) and the other hardly at all (too flat). When I finally found a sports outfitters who had the equipment to adjust the pressure in the balls, the valves of both balls came apart. In my opinion, without reliable balls this already expensive product is rather bad value for money. You might be much better off buying just the book and getting appropriate balls (4" vinyl, softly inflated) separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracles for modern life, 31 Dec. 2014
My brother originally purchased one of these for my mother and I decided to get for myself. Over the years I have studied/qualified in many different systems of healing and I have to say what a wonderful system Elaine has created with The Miracle Ball Method. I live a very busy and active life, which includes Wing Chun at senior level, Yoga and an extreme sport, so this wonderful system is a great blessing and so easily accessible. Currently I am working through a knee and shoulder injury and I am really impressed with how quickly I have seen results working with this system. Plus the system is so effect in managing the stresses and strains of very day life, the best £11.99 I have ever spent!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing for the back, 10 Oct. 2007
I love the two slightly deflated balls. Despite being a very active person sitting 4 hours ( and a congenital problem of the lower back) at a computer at work left me with costant lower back pain. Specific back exercises were not helping so I gave the miracle balls a try and they do work...just place one or two of them in position and relax ( do nothing and just concentrate on breathing). You can feel the muscles letting go of the tension...Wow.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 22 Mar. 2009
C. Pollard (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This really does work. After many lessons in the Alexander technique, I still despaired of persuading my tight knotty shoulder muscles to let go. Well these miracle balls are certainly helping to do just that. The hardest part is doing nothing!! It is so hard to allow your body to let go and do nothing. Like me, you may find some days your body is too tense to start to let go. I find it best to get stuck into something completely different and try the miracle balls later or the next day. But on good days when you stop trying so hard you really can feel your muscles unwinding and releasing.

The little book is a bit irritating - the pages won't stay open, but the actual conetent is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for realigning my body, 4 Jan. 2014
I have EDS type 3/ hypermobility syndrome and suffer with movement and stiffness in my back and these have been a huge help. I do some suitable stretches suggested in the book, and lie on the balls which does reduce the muscle tension. The best relief is placing one under my spine and slowly lying on it, I hear all sorts of cracks from my back and the relief is instant.
I would suggest to anyone with EDS/ HS- but obviously be cautious, I would say get a Physio/Dr's opinion, but I think we know our bodies best.