VINE VOICEon 5 October 2003
This book is well laid out with every thing from dietary information to cooking time. This book has tables and sketches for just about everything vegetarian. Included is a comprehensive index. There are a lot of items here that took me hours to find searching through the cook and diet library.

With 1120 pages it would be cumbersome to describe the many items and variations. Therefore I will narrow it to beans. Big warning Hold the salt until after they are cooked tender, as they will toughen the skins.

Other items are subjective. She says a traditional use for pinto beans is in Texas chili. Everyone knows you do not put beans in real chili.

It may be suggested that some items may be rare or expensive. This is much better than having two pages dedicated to beans, rice, and water. The recipe is not written in stone and I often make adjustment to taste and to adjust to sugar free cooking. I usually by my ingredients in a whole foods or organic store anyway so cost and availability is negligible. In any event this does not distract form a well-written book that tries to leave nothing out.

Again time availability has nothing to do with the recopies in this book. I take time on the weekend to cook enough for lunches and quick dinners. Can you say freezer? Many times it take time for the elements to homogenize.

Bottom line is this book is essential to any cooking repertoire.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2015
Good recipes, tried quite a lot of them.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 March 2012
UK readers should not be put off by the 'in your face' cover or by her name CD writes both cookery and childrens books (around 50 published!). It is in fact her real name - changed when she was sixteen. I have many vegetarian cookery books and I cannot emphasise how much I use this book and I've had it for years. It's big, covers anything you might wish to know about vegetarian cookery with plenty of options for vegans. She ran an Inn for many years and the book features numerous menus with a lot of suggestions for time saving and simplifying things in the kitchen. It's an absolute bargain for the price, I wish I could get it in hardback here as mine is definitely showing signs of a 'well loved' cookery book. Useful, practical and highly recommended. I also have two other books by CD, both of which I use regularly.
on 3 May 2010
I have no idea why the person who bought me this book thinks that because I'm a vegetarian I must be a new age hippy who needs tips on 'living fearlessly'. Or that I have hours to trawl around shops looking for the ridiculous ingredients listed in this book. I'm sorry Ms Dragonwagon (or can I call you Crescent? Hey, who cares it's not like it's your real name. I might as well call you moonbeam shinebucket for all you care), but this book is ridiculous from start to finish. I actually suspect the writer made up a lot of these ingredients for laughs. Avoid at all costs if a) you like eating and b) you like cooking.
0Comment0 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse