5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow and funky patterns
This is a brilliant book for anyone who is just starting out or is fairly new to knitting. Like the author I had been taught to knit at an early age but gave up fairly quickly due to my lack of co-ordination and terrible results! This gives simple step by step instructions which are easy to understand and will have you knitting like a pro in no time. It also provides a...
Published on 12 Jun 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit irritating..
A short review.
This book had many designs for things I would want to knit, but as someone who can't knit I bought it first and foremost to teach myself the BASICS. The BEYOND basics. Unfortunately the 'humourous' writing really distracted me and I had no idea what the woman was going on about when she explained how to cast on, despite her saying how easy and...
Published on 26 Oct 2010 by MW

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 12 Feb 2011
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook: Instructions, Patterns, and Advice for a New Generation of Knitters (Paperback)
This little book is a must have for anyone interested in knitting, especially if you are starting out and wanting the techniques explained in a simple way.
Contains a selection of patterns for all abilities that I am gradually working my way through. Only down side is most of the yarns mentioned are American so you have to find an equivalent

4.0 out of 5 stars Time to get stitching, 12 Oct 2010
L. Hogan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I got this after I used Strollers Happy Hooker book to teach myself to crochet. This book is just as effective at bringing a total beginner from being all fingers and thumbs to fairly confident. The answers to most problems you will encounter as a novice knitter are here and it really teaches you everything you need to know to get yourself started. It brings you thorough every thing from casting on to increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round and colour work. There is also a useful section on web resources for knitters and crafters in general. Im halfway through knitting my first top and am quite looking forward to being able to say "I made it myself!".

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 12 May 2010
I took up knitting 2 months ago using this book and have actually learnt to knit from it. I've still got a long way to go but I've already knitted a scarf, in the middle of knitting another scarf and a bag! This book is quite modern so no raindeer jumpers. I'm so impressed I'm going to pick up the other books for more great patterns.

The only complaint is that it is hard to get hold of the yarn but I managed to substitute in some cases.

4.0 out of 5 stars All in all would definitely recommend, 19 Mar 2010
All around an excellent buy! I'm a new knitter and found the instructions easy to follow, as well as entertaining to read - for Ms Stoller writes in an amusing, entirely non-condescending way that makes even the pain of trying to learn something from scratch a bit more fun. I haven't got around to reading the whole of the book yet, or to go through all the proposed techniques, but if the first quarter is anything to go by I'd say that this is a very helpful source for beginners and a good reference for more advanced knitters. If I had to change one thing I think that the book would probably benefit from colourful pictures - if only from an aesthetic point of view. Finally, I didn't find the suggested projects all that exciting, with three or four exceptions but tastes differ and maybe that's just me. In any case, as far as I'm concerned this wasn't a problem, as I bought this book to learn how to knit and wouldn't mind spending some money on pattern magazines/books more to my liking when I get more familiar with the techniques.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Beginners' Book, 2 Jan 2010
Miranda McDade "mirandamc" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I learned to crochet with Debbie Stoller's 'Stitch and Bitch: The Happy Hooker', so when I wanted to learn to knit I knew who to turn to. This book gives clear instructions about how to do all the basic, and some advanced stitches and techniques in knitting. The patterns are for modern, usable garments and gradually build your skills until you feel confident enough to tackle any pattern. Debbie guides the novice like a kind aunt or friend with her light tone and helpful hints - this book is a must for any beginner knitter.

4.0 out of 5 stars stich n bitch, 8 Jun 2009
M. Kunst (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Very useful book with basic information but also cute facts about yarn, knitting and everything that has a link to it.

recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Re-Introduction for the Lapsed Knitter, 2 July 2008
K. O'Reilly "Gloss Girl" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I havent knit a stitch since I was ten years old, so I had completely forgotten everything about knitting. This book is a great re-introduction to the knitting basics and I found the diagrams and descriptions really easy to follow. The authors writing style includes lots of personal knitting experience stories which are inspirational and it also makes the book a good bedtime read too! I read the book on a Sunday night, its now Wednesday and i'm halfway through my first scarf, and thoroughly enjoying it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Instructional Knitting Book, 6 Sep 2011
I knew how to knit before I purchased this book, bought originally for one of the knitting pattens that it contained.
I was pleasantly surprised at how informed it was, which is written in a light hearted and slightly whimsical way!
I'm an English knitter and this is by an American Author, so I knew some of the terminology would be different, though it dose contain the English alternative.
I like how Debbie Stroller takes you through all of the pit falls when knitting and how to get out of them, with-out having a nervous breakdown!
This is a must have book for all knitters, whether you are a beginner or an old hand, and I bought mine here on Amazon at a very good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellant book, 27 April 2004
I love this book, its got some great patterns which are fresh and funky.Every knitter should have one!!!!AAAAAA+++

1.0 out of 5 stars Not that good, 13 Nov 2007
I purchased this book on others recommendations. Unfortunately, I was that innocent. This book is cheeky and more fluff that factually straight forward.

I got a book by Debbie Bliss and now I am finally knitting. Other better books are available by Debbie Bliss, Rowan and Vogue Knitting.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›