5.0 out of 5 stars History in the making.
Completely and utterly compelling.

If you have a passion for the early days of computing and technology in general, then this is for you.

Published on 7 Oct 2011 by Mr

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull... and errors strewn across this book
I have a strong interest in information technology and worked in two of the companies that feature strongly in this book. I was interested in the inside story on the development of a pivotal OS. What I got was a sensationalist ode to Dave Cutler, very little that really got below the surface and wanted to cover too much ground, in the end quite thinly IMHO.
And the...
Published 10 months ago by JP

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull... and errors strewn across this book, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Showstopper! the Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft (Paperback)
And the style is so... toe-curling.
And the errors... they're everywhere - typos, spelling mistakes, page formatting errors, split lines, badly punctuated etc etc and the killer on the back cover blurb tells us it's a story of a project "...driven by the legendary BRUCE Cutler" ha ha ha ...

4.0 out of 5 stars A great chronicle of a historic piece of software's birth, 10 Aug 2013
Abizer (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Showstopper (Kindle Edition)
If you are at all interested in what it's like to be a working programmer, this is a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars History in the making., 7 Oct 2011
Mr "Mol" (Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Showstopper (Kindle Edition)
Completely and utterly compelling.

It's also slightly terrifying, as someone who actually bought a copy of Windows NT I felt I was getting (naively, I Know) a rock-solid, secure 32 bit OS, only to discover, in-retrospect just how many problems they had building it. This OS nearly killed a lot of programmers through the shear workload.

This is one of those books that makes the heart race and I would highly recommend it.

Used & New from: 10.93