Published on 25 Sept. 2012 by S. Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much mind control
Published on 21 Feb. 2013 by Anne

4.0 out of 5 stars I drank the Kool-aid and enjoyed this book more than the last one, 25 Sept. 2012
S. Richards - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One Wrong Move (Paperback)
I'm tired of the mind control/mad science baddies SM has going on. Osterman, King, and now this bunch. Hoping to find a different sort of bad guy here, I was so frustrated when I started this book. I really had to concentrate on the two main characters in order to enjoy this book. Once I got the hero and heroine together in Ch. 6, the story picked up for me. By Ch. 13, I was definitely feeling more sexual tension and chemistry, and I was finally reading with a smile on my face. The character interaction in that chapter was pretty awesome. Then, Ch. 14... Why does sex make everything better? The sex was really hot and gritty with this bad boy. Aaro really makes this story for me.

As one of the McCloud Crowd, Alex Aaro's been called in by Bruno and Lily (Blood and Fire, the previous book) to help Lily's bff, Nina, who's been jabbed by a needle-wielding woman spewing garbled messages and dire warnings about the mystery substance Nina's been injected with and the people who control the drug and want to keep its power secret. I know, stick with it; it gets more complicated and over the top. Soon, Nina and Aaro are on the run with mind-controlling baddies after them.

It was convoluted. Not only baddies with guns, but these guys can reach into the mind and mentally crush you with a thought. That took some getting used to. I really wanted just your average, garden-variety baddie here. You know, just someone mean and naturally crazy and not necessarily hopped up on the crazy juice and wanting to rule the world through compulsion and mind control. Is that so much to ask for? I have to say that SM managed to keep all that together, somehow, even with baddies running here and there.

I've been wanting Aaro's story for a while, and I'm glad I hung in there and waded through the mind control freaks here to get to him. Aaro is definte jerk hero material. He's rude, crude, and basically, socially unaccecptable to most people, but he kind of does it for me. Aaro is a sexy, lovable jerk, a real reluctant hero, a bad boy who meets his match in Nina. While a wounded heroine, for sure, Nina is strong and more than capable of standing up to the bulldozer that is Alex Aaro. I loved the interaction between these two. While the love felt very quick (in this romance, 1 day is like 7 dog years), the sexual attraction was heady and strong, very sexy and needy.

We do see previous characters again: Miles, Bruno, Lily, Zia Rosa, Kev, and Edie. And we get some shocking news about Miles, and for me personally, I was very happy to hear it. That also made wading through the mind freaks worth it: seeing Miles again and getting ready for his story, which should be the next book, as One Wrong Move ends with Miles in quite the serious situation, and SM leaves us with several threads left hanging loose for Miles and the crowd to deal with later.

While not as great as Seth or Connor, or Nick or Tam's stories (imo), I think One Wrong Move is an improvement over the previous book, and way better than Kev's book, for me personally. If, like me, you're a big fan of the series but are tired of the mind tricks, still give this one a shot. Hang in there, and ride it out. I think it's worth it to have Aaro and to be ready for Miles. Not my favorite of the series, true, but overall, a good read. Even with the things I didn't particularly love (the baddies), I still liked Aaro's story and am glad I stuck with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much mind control, 21 Feb. 2013
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One Wrong Move (Paperback)
Shannon McKenna's novels about the McCloud brothers and their friends have always been unrealistic in the way that a lot of romantic suspense escapes reality. Her heroes are just a little too like Superman, her villains are way too over the top and sinister, and the plots definitely don't bear much examination. Personally, I love them and have always enjoyed the fast paced, and slightly racy, writing.

Unfortunately, by the time that we get to this installment in the series, featuring Alex Aaro and his Ukranian/American family the author has begun to run out of new ways to present her stock material and the lack of originality brings to the fore some other usual ingredients which are not so attractive - the main couple come together too fast for belief, the author seems to have to get all the characters from her previous books rammed in somewhere, all the characters are overcome with emotion for children, all the men pretend to be tough but are really very sentimental, people are overcome with guilt for letting each other down, and all older women are endearingly wacky. We've read about these themes before and there isn't a lot new in this volume.

And then there's the mind control stuff ...... By my calculations this is at least the third book where this has been a major theme. The author really needs to find another motivation for her bad guys other than to commit evil acts by taking over the minds of others.

This book seemed very familiar, it incorporated elements of most of its predecessors and used a lot of the same plot devices. It is beyond just being unrealistic and edging towards fantasy now and the plot and characterisation are just not good enough to carry the unreality. The earlier books in this series were very good but this is disappointing in comparison.

3.0 out of 5 stars I honestly dont know if I liked it or not, 8 Oct. 2012
I like the McCloud series the first one, Behind Closed Doors is one of my favourite books, but I am tired of the theme of the bad guys they all seem the same to me, same mo just diffrent names and thats why I am not sure if I liked this or not, I loved the leads but again same as the others really tough hot man who has zero communication skills and comes across as a total arse 90% of the time but when finding the one he tries to be softer and the woman always sexy smart and get themselves involved in a dangerous situation with some sort of drug / nutty doctors! and its all here the same again. I love the way Shannon Mckenna writes I just wish she would shake it up a bit and give her next book some diffrent baddies, as Miles seems like he will be the next lead and Vicki the female lead I am guessing we are sticking with the brain stuff again, I will read it to finish the characters so far in the series, but to be honest I dont know if I will read anymore unless they change a bit I found myself getting board with this as I pretty much knew where it was heading and how it would end up but not a bad read just not anything new or special.

Alex Aaro has spent most of his life on the run from his Ukrainian mafia family (I liked his dad in it made a bit of a spin to the story). He finds out his Aunt Tonya, the only person who ever cared about him and tried to help him escape his dad, is dying, he risks going to say goodbye to her. on the way he gets a call from Bruno Ranieri, asking him to help Lily his wifes friend who has been injected with a drug and left a message on her phone that they dont understand he doesn't want to help but agrees and the book begins he meets Social worker Nina Christie in a secret closet where she is hiding from the bad guys and the chase begins.

I can't make up my mind with this so I will say any fans of the series will probably like it anyone who hasn't read one of the McCloud books before go back and read Behind closed doors and the next few books as they are the best of the lot.

One Wrong Move
One Wrong Move by Shannon McKenna (Paperback - 21 Sept. 2012)