on 11 July 2011
There's something comforting about this series; I do like a character who's not constructed like Angelina, I love that she has a cat (tho at 23 pounds, it's way too heavy!), and I like the recipes even tho I have no intention of making them. Unless someone has a good recipe for the cinnamon/raisin bread she keeps talking about, I'll give that a shot).
I also felt really smart when I figured out the reason for the lie about the Styrofoam coffee cups - and am happy to say I had really no idea who the killer might be, or even why.
It's a series that's a little like Lake Woebegon, with added murder. It's a plus, for me, that none of the murders are really ghoulish and nothing really squalid or disgusting actually happens - just nice, clean, random killings, that won't keep you awake at night with the horrors.
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2007
In this, the ninth book in the Hannah Swenson series, Hannah is judging the baked goods category of the Tri-County Fair. All is going smoothly until one of the other judges, Willa, is found murdered. Hannah and her sisters begin to investigate the possible reasons for the murder along with the usual team of characters, Norman, Delores, Lisa, Herb et al.

This is another enjoyable instalment, cosy and comforting to read. There isn't as much about the Norman - Hannah - Mike love triangle, but I welcomed that as I'm not sure what else Joanne Fluke can do with it!

You really need to have read the other books in the series to fully appreciate this book, so I would recommend starting with 'The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder' and working your way through!
on 23 April 2010
There are times when you just need some escapism in your life and when those moments arrive, I reach for a Hannah Swensen murder mystery by Joanne Fluke. There isn't really much mystery, but the characters in these books have become so familiar that it is always a pleasure to join them in a town with more murders than Midsomer!

I love the recipes and this book inspired me to make my own Key Lime Pie. Delicious nonsense.
VINE VOICEon 26 October 2013
I am back with Hannah Swensen, in Lake Eden and the beauty of reading a book in a series is that you can catch up on all the characters. There is something familiar about them all and you like to take a peek at their lives.

This time round, Hannah has been called to judge a baking competition at the local country fair. Of course this means that we get to hear about even more delicious recipes besides Hannah's cookie ones. Although Hannah knows one of the judges she has only just met Willa the other judge. There seems something mysterious about her. Hannah likes a good mystery however this turns into a murder mystery when Willa is found dead at the county fair ground by, yes of course, by Hannah.

Hannah's mother despises the ability she has in finding dead bodies. But she is also most keen on finding out all the gossip as well. In such a small town, everyone knows everyone else's business and it is that which helps Hannah solves nearly all her mysteries.

Of course Mike, the local sheriff does not want Hannah involved as it puts her in danger and he does not like that, especially as he still has his heart set on her. But then so does Norman, who seems to be winning favour with Moshie, Hannah's rather changeable cat. But who will eventually get her heart. Who knows and now at book nine, I wonder whether this particular story line is wearing a bit thin. All the other characters are happily getting on with their lives, there are developments, there is progress as well as heart ache and setbacks, but for Hannah it all seems to be standing still for her.

However, the only thing that does move is Hannah in the right direction and finds out who claimed the life of Willa so cruelly. This is a cosy crime book which does well to incorporate the aspects of small community life where everything seemed all that much nicer - obviously apart from the murders!

Great escapist easy reading. But worth reading in order to really understand Hannah and the recurring characters in the books.
The Tri-County Fair has opened in Lake Eden, and it promises to be a busy week for Hannah. Her cookie shop is providing cookies for the chamber of commerce booth, her two sisters and one niece are in various contests, and Hannah has agreed to step in as the third judge for the baking contest.

It's through the contest that Hannah meets Willa. She seems like a bright, engaging woman, but she hints at secrets in her past. The mystery surrounding Willa is only compounded when Hannah finds her dead on the midway just after closing one night. The list of suspects is actually rather long. But who hated Willa enough to kill her?

These books are an equal mix of charm and mystery. We get doses of Hannah's life as well as the crime at hand. There is a good mix of the two, although the mystery does stall ever so slightly around the middle. My bigger complaint was Hannah's bad habit of not sharing info with the police. That seemed more of an issue this time around then in previous books, or maybe I just noticed it more.

It's best to read these books in order because when you do it feels like catching up with old friends who are as delightful as always. And, if you care about what is happening in their lives, you'll enjoy the many sub-plots that run through the book.

The character moments provided some of the best laughs of the book, especially the scenes where Hannah continues to face her two suitors. This is the most unrealistic storyline of the series, but I love watching the love triangle continue to unfold.

As always, there are more recipes as well. This go around, we get 16 of them. I've already tried the title recipe, and it's delicious. The others sound just as promising.

Even though this is a murder mystery, the book is a throw back to small town life and a more innocent time. If that appeals to you, you'll love this series.
on 2 April 2010
Having read the first of the Hannah Svensen murders just a few months ago, I was hooked anyway but once again Joanne Fluke came up with the goods. The book is as entertaining as always with plenty of humour thrown in for good measure even though you know that Hannah will 'get her man' as always.
The recipes are great as usual and now that I know that 'Graham crackers' are like our Digestives I am looking forward to making some of her cookies & desserts.
In just a short while I have progressed through her whole reportoire and enjoyed every one - I'm sure that you won't be disappointed with this fabulous offering
on 12 June 2007
love hannah adventures. this time its summer and the rodeo is in town! as usual hannah stumbles upon a dead body and starts nvestigating. with the usual family adventure and still not decided who to choose to marry and a lovesick cat, its a busy time for our hannah
on 28 May 2015