4.0 out of 5 stars A great Love Story
This is the first book that I have read by this author, and I don't think it will be my last. The main characters (Conner and Erin) have loved each other from afar for many years, both unable to breech the barrier that circumstance has placed between them.
Published on 23 Aug. 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars not what i expected
I am amazed Connor and Erin had time to defeat the baddies, given the time they spent in bed. Had I wanted that much graphic sex I would have bought "Fifty Shades". It would have been quite a good story otherwise. How Erin could possibly live with such a jealous man beats me . I enjoy a good romantic thrilller but doubt I will try this author again.
Published on 8 May 2013 by Mystery Buff

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Love Story, 23 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Standing in the Shadows (McCloud Brothers) (Paperback)
Until Conners deadly enemy makes a break from prision. Certain that Erin is in danger, even though the rest of the world thinks he's paranoid he sets out to provide the protection Erin deperately needs.
I really enjoyed this book however one niggling thing - Where did the prolouge fit into the story. Was this Conner and Erin or someone else?
I will definately be ordering this authors other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved It, 21 May 2004
This review is from: Standing in the Shadows (McCloud Brothers) (Paperback)
I loved this book. I thought the story was wonderful. I could really believe Conner had loved Erin for years. He wanted her and suffered for her so much it made me want to cry. Lot's of hot sex, and wonderful characters in Davey and Shaun. The humour was just right and stopped the book becoming morbid. The bad guys got theirs in an appropriately bloody fashion which was mercifuly kept short. All in all a great book, I shall certaily continue to buy Ms.McKenna's books if she keeps writing like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS AND SENSUAL, 20 Jun. 2011
Reader (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
in this the second book in this series we meet Conner McCloud an FBI agent, who was set up to be murdered by his old boss Ed Riggs, but Connor survived albeit that he was in a coma for a long time he has scars physical and mental his leg was badly injured and he now walks with the aid of a cane. Now due to the fact that he was instrumental in having his old boss charged and eventually imprisoned has had a knock on effect for Conner as he has been in love with Ed's daughter Erin since she was sixteen, so no way would she even look at him now! But an old enemy Kurt Novak has escaped from prison and Erin is a probable target of Novak's revenge. Connor knows that no matter what he has to protect Erin whether she wants him to or not.this is how the story begins. The relationship between Conner and Erin is electric the first time they are intimate wow I have rarely read such a well written love scene the emotion passion and pure sexual chemistry literally oozed off of the page! In fact all of the interactions between the two leads was so well written it was fantastic. The plot was great with plenty of real menace from the bad guys, all of the secondary characters were fully rounded and totally Believable. I just could not put this book down, Connor's brothers who are also in this story feature in their own books. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, sensual romance with protective, possessive hero, 27 Sept. 2013
Its not very often that I give 5 stars, but this book was so emotionally charged and captivating with such refreshing and interesting hero that it just ticked all the right boxes for me.

I like this book better than the first one (Seth and Rain Behind closed doors). This one is as intense, gritty, erotic and full of angst that keep your emotions on edge. Damn Connor! he is my dream hero..I would not expect him to be so endearing and flashing out with so much qualities.....YES he was gruff, bossy, possessive and intense but MY GOD... he had that half side of his personality that i fell in love with and was even jealous of Erin to have him! YES for the first time I am jealous! I loved the fact that there was that forbidden element with Connor' and Erin' love...and i even liked better the fact that Connor could not stay away from sweet, innocent and beautiful Erin when she was just 16 years old and add that her father was Connors boss. Connor was so overwhelmed with his feelings for Erin, all that consuming love for her...he was not interested in relationships with other women because he was obsessed with Erin and only so her..I like that in a hero, when there is only one woman that can fulfill his longing and passion....and my absolute favorite....he stayed faithful to his love for her....not destroying it like his brother mansl*t Sean f****g different girl every night!

Connor was dreaming about Erin and wanted her to be his bride...for goodness sake he gave her a beautiful diamond ring..who would not resist this sexy, delicious and sweet hero? It was inevitable that they would reconnect together and when the trouble strikes at Erin Connor was there faster than light...devoted to protect her at any cost and finally put an end to their separation. Even though many though him crazy over his worst enemy Novak he did not back down a bit with his protectiveness over Erin. I just loved Connor's other softer side..the vulnerability and insecurity he showed towards Erin just made me love him more....He was an alpha hero, possessive, oversexed and needy but also very uncertain around Erin and that gave him extra dimension. Erin was likable, sweet and smart enough to know there was something very creepy going on around her family and hold tight to Connor. I liked that she unleashed Connor's passion for her and was not scared to take it...raw and aggressive. I love their slow emotional buildup and sex was as hot and intense....I was so captivated by their interactions, it kept me reading and stayed glued to the pages with anticipation and feeling on edge...there was so much tenderness between them..Erin washing and cutting Connor's hair, Erin saying that.."even though his brothers were extremely handsome they could not beat him" and that she visited him in the hospital when he was in a coma...reading to him and talking to him just proved how much she loves him! But Connor saying first that HE LOVES HER was just so sweet and romantic that somehow restored my believe that there are still some good heroes out there who are not scared to admit their feelings to the women they loved and a man does not need to be a manslut to prove he's a man but being simple himself is enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 11 May 2011
Book 2 of the McCloud's.

We first met Connor in Behind Closed Doors. Connor is the ex FBI partner of Seth's dead brother. We learn a little about Seth & Raine since the last book but the main story focuses on the love between Erin & Connor. During Seth's story we learn a little about Erin & connor, he rushed off to save her from the clutches of Novak's hench men, but we just assumed everything was fixed but along came standing in the shadows.

Following in a similar pattern to Behind closed doors: the flawed hero, the inexperienced damsel in distress, the villain. What is different about this story is Erin & connor already have history however brief it is and have always had designs on each other without realising how the other felt.

I'll not give anything away, but yet again Shannon Mckenna sucks you and leaves you breathless turning each page wanting to get to the next. A Story that can't be put down and awakens every 1 of your senses. I absolutely love the stories and as I'm a huge romantic this book really has a special place with me, I can't wait to read the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful and sweet read, 8 Oct. 2014
Ever since novak and georg lusch have escaped from prison he knows erin will never be safe and offers to be her bodyguard as he thinks they will come after her again but erin doesn't believe him but humours him as he wont give up and shes always loved him. What occurs next is a beautiful sweet romance between conner and erin that soon heats up the pages.

this is a really nice and sweet story I enjoyed it so much I couldnt stop reading until I finished the whole book. The romance is hot and steamy but also sweet loving between the two main characters, there is action from all the mccloud brothers and a storyline that kept me wanting to read and read.

The characters are all great and fully formed they could walk straight off the pages, the story is great with no boring bits at all that usually make me want to skim or flick through pages. This is the second book by this author ive read and I want to keep reading her books especially the other two mccloud brothers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it., 29 Dec. 2014
Rating~ 3.75 stars.

This was my first read by the author, I saw this book ages but it appeared on my scribd homepage and I took a chance at reading it. I did not read the first book in the series which made certain things confusing not many that effected my enjoyment just in terms background of certain things that had happened in the first book.

I quite liked Connor and Erin. Connor and Erin were likeable and great together. Connor was slightly goofy and sweet towards Erin apart from the whole being obsessed with her which though contradictory worked here I still am not entirely sure how but it did. Erin on the other was sweet but at times she got on my nerves with her naive behavior.

I liked it though I did think that I would liked it a lot more if I had read this book earlier than some similar romantic suspense novels I have read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Already started book 4, 20 Mar. 2015
Already started book 4 as soon as I finished this one, so glad I have discovered this series late as I can know go right through the series to book 11 I think, I actually feel giddy inside knowing I do not have to wait for the next one in the series to be published and I don't have to search around for my next fix of alpha male.

4.0 out of 5 stars great suspense, 28 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Standing in the Shadows (McCloud Brothers) (Paperback)
IF you like Shannons other work then you will love this book.
The suspense keeps you turning the pages - the bad guy is sooo bad you know he is capable of anything so you are on the edge of your seat as you turn each page - although i expected the end where he gets taken down to have been a bit more drawn out.
The romance part is good as well - 2 people that have wanted each other for so long finally getting it together.
Do we get the story of Conners other brothers next ?? - hope so

1.0 out of 5 stars not what i expected, 8 May 2013

Standing in the Shadows (McCloud Brothers)
Standing in the Shadows (McCloud Brothers) by SHANNON MCKENNA (Paperback - 26 Sept. 2003)