5.0 out of 5 stars Once in the grip of BEHIND CLOSED DOORS you will not stop!
When a man bent on revenge encounters a woman that is good and kind their fate gets intertwined. But will the scintillating passion be enough to overcome all the obstacles when truth wants to find a way to be revealed? It is a battle of character and courage as the enemy reaches out with his clutches and wants to ruin everything in its path...

Shannon McKenna...
Published on 2 Jun 2008 by Leontine's Book Realm

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame there isn't a "no star" option
Published on 28 Sep 2011 by K. M. Paton

5.0 out of 5 stars Once in the grip of BEHIND CLOSED DOORS you will not stop!, 2 Jun 2008
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Mass Market Paperback)

Shannon McKenna has left me all hot and bothered and clamoring for more after reading my first encounter with her work, BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. In no way could anything prepare me for the sizzling emotional rollercoaster ride and throughout the book I wondered: `Can a crude, bold, brass male character whom refuses to leash his tongue, in more ways than one, claim me in such a demanding way?' Well, as I closed this book I can fully convinced say, YES! Seth appeared in the story and immediately sucker punched me with his straight forward behavior and wasn't ashamed of it either.

With Seth's very intricate nature Shannon McKenna gives this novel a man that will get all your senses flaring to life. But he will also rub you the wrong way at times, even have full-fleshed, pissed off moments at what he has done as he all did it with me. Nevertheless, it is only the stunning way this author tells his story and discloses his background that allows Seth to just be the man he is at heart and no apologies being made for it that is such a part of his appeal. If you think that this novel is all about Seth think again for he will make quite an impression but without a worthy female adversary this story would have lost a lot of its high voltage vibe!

Raine may be a meek, colorless woman in the beginning but the slowly unveiling of her true nature proves to be very intriguing and triggering forbidden feelings within Seth who responses in the only way he knows how...with scorching mind blowing passion that would incinerate the pages if possible. For if there is one thing that is present in this story is sensuous, hot, page melting passion that will make the need for chocolate obsolete.

Just this quote alone should indicate a certain measure of it:
Having a gorgeous woman stare at his **** as if it were one of the Seven Wonders of the World did great things for his ego. A man's **** could never get enough female appreciation.

If there is one thing that rocked me to my core it is the incredible characterization, interaction and romance building in BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. But it was framed by a surprising plot and suspense that contained far going consequences for both Seth and Raine. For with Victor the past of both Raine and Seth is linked together and if Victor is anything it is cold, methodically precise and distant to any emotions what so ever. Moreover, with his personality he knows how to manipulate people and has no boundaries to get what he desires. He poses a threat to all involved and I just gobbled up the pages like there was no tomorrow to finish reading it.

I would almost say that this romance-suspense story has too much testosterone....almost. For who doesn't want to get to know the McCloud brothers? They give off warning signals for future novels with their male bantering and ego's. Hints to past events that must have effected them in one way or another that gets you all in the mood for a more "close encounter" with each of them. They are just what you need when the going gets tough, and for Seth and Raine the going gets tough...and in the end even tougher.

In the end all I can say is that Shannon McKenna has made a statement with a high quality romance suspense story that gave me renewed passion for this genre. She masters all the ingredients necessary for an all consuming romance read and I closed this book with a fulfilled heart.

Once in the grip of BEHIND CLOSED DOORS you will not stop until the last word is read and will make you hunt down other novels by this fabulous author!

Reviewed by Leontine
Courtesy of Realms On Our Bookshelves

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, hot and perceptive, 18 Aug 2003
K. Newman "krazykmcd" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
A good combination of thriller and very erotic romance. There’s a lot of sex in this book, so if you object to such, then this is not a tale for you. However sex is used here as much to show how the two central characters change in the course of events, from power plays to tenderness, touching on punishment and eventually even forgiveness. In this, as well as the quality of writing, McKenna makes this about more than sex, and brings in something of the human condition, as well as drawing in other themes and subtexts of the novel. Thus, although plentiful, the erotic nature of the book actually adds meaning to the relationship and thus integrates into the story as a whole.
As for the thriller side, there is certainly no ‘mystery’ here – we know whodunnit and why the various characters are taking the actions that they are. The two central characters are Raine Cameron, who has recently begun working for identified baddie Victor Lazar, and Seth Mackey, whose brother had been killed 10 months prior to the opening of the book. All that drives Seth now is the need for vengeance. He likens himself to a cyborg – focused, emotionless and with a single purpose. To this end he has extensively bugged the house of Lazar’s mistress (Lazar being involved in his brothers death), which is now Raine’s house. Raine is actually related to Lazar, and blames him (rightly) for the death of her father. She has been on the run from Lazar for 13 years, and considers herself to be a bit of a coward – the shy, retiring, unnoticeable type. Now convinced that she needs to find out more of her fathers death, she has ‘infiltrated’ Lazars firm, supposedly anonymously – almost a joke as Lazar knows exactly who she is. Seth, for his part, has been watching Raine with fascination, becoming more and more attracted to her. And now the plan moves along, as he seeks to make contact with Lazar, and through him with Lazar’s new assistant. Both of them seeking knowledge and retribution, neither sure of who they can trust, both unable to deny the attraction they feel for the other. An attraction watched with interest by many…
It’s a very well thought out story, containing many elements. Revenge, hate, manipulation, rage, and the seamer side of life are definitely a part of it, but so too is a great deal of warmth and ‘family’ feeling. Seth on his side has the memories of his brother, and his developing relationship with the McCloud brothers (who I hope will have their own stories in the future). Raine brings her historical relationship with her parents, and her ongoing complex feelings about Lazar. There are others very central to the book too – Novak and Riggs whose roles become important in the telling of the story. There is no ‘mystery’, but a great deal of human nature, as characters change and develop as they deal with very real danger and cope with the shifting nature of reality. I particularly liked the triangle of Raine, Seth and Lazar’s roles as they played against each other.
Overall I enjoyed the book very much, particularly as a study of human characteristics and relationships, and indeed and how we as individuals affect each other and touch each others lives, for better or worse. I liked very much that this ‘erotic thriller’ was deeper than a surface story, and that the characters within were constantly evolving not only as they grew and changed within themselves, but also in their dealings each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, what a fast pacing erotic read!,, 20 Aug 2004
S. YALCINKAYA "sbnm" (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
This is my first book from this author and then I immediately read the following ones. Even though Shannon Mckenna repeats herself in other series, she is a bright star in this genre. I liked the fast pacing storyline very much. If you dont like too controlling male characters you probably wont like it. On the other hand, I must say that it was an amazing read. I could not put it down, a real page turner. Great for lazy days, particularly perfect for the beach.
Behind Closed Doors has a good storyline and sizzling scenes. I recommend this book if you want to read suspense, love and some sex. I was entertained with Behind Closed Doors. Also recommended: 'Standing In The Shadows' by Shannon McKenna.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Hot I Nearly Burnt My Fingers!, 27 Jun 2007
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first book I read by Shannon McKenna and, well...wow! I have to admit when I bought the book I had only read the synopsis on a website, I was not prepared for the blantent sexuality which is present troughout all her books. Raine is trying to get closer to her employer to find the truth behind the death of her father, leading her straight into the arms of Seth, a ruthless security expert who has been watching Raine for some time. Both trying to get closer to Victor the pair start a brutal affair which gets hearts pounding faster and faster. Shannon writes scenes which fit the context of her stories, though it is sometimes hard to understand why her heroines would fall for the heros when they display such violent possesive behaviour and go out of there way to make there bed partner surrender. There are no flowery edges to the love scenes in her books but that is exactly what we need these days. Have we not had enough of the 'love making' in the majority if romance books and the frankly amusing euphemisms for parts of the body! Don't misunderstand, I, like many other women enjoy the likes of Nora Roberts and her comtempories, but it is a refreshing to read a sexually candid book which targets what women secretly desire, becuase as much as our brain cannot understand any woman wanting to be overpowered, deep down this is exactly what we want to read about. I would recomend all of Shannon's books, bit they should carry a warning, not for the faint hearted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great novel from Shannon McKenna, 11 Jun 2009
RozziD "Rose" (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the third book I have read by this author and I am still a huge fan of her work. While its true that the book does contain a lot of very descriptive sex it does, I think, enhance the story and is not just there for the sake of it.

This story is about Raine and Seth, a secretary with revenge on her mind and a security expert/special forces operative with similar intentions. When the two meet, the sparks begin to fly almost immediately and continue throughout the book. I can't say there were many unexpected twists in the story but it was a great thriler and I will definitely be reading more.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic emotional thrilling read, 7 Sep 2014
Raine is a secretary working for her uncle victor lazar but she is there for another reason and that is to find proof that victor killed her father when she was young.
seth is after revenge on the ones who killed his brotherand victor is one of them so seth plants video and audio bugs in raines house to spy on raine and victor but seth cant stop watching raine as he finds her beautiful and interesting. When victor introduces them to eachother the sparks fly immediately between the couple.

what follows is a beautiful story about how their relationship blossoms into love, while they are both keeping secrets from eachother about who they really are and what they are doing. There is plenty of love scenes between the two main characters that shows how they feel for eachother and there is plenty of action.

This is the first book by shannon mckenna ive read and it most definitely will not be the last, this is an amazing read and one I will re-read. The characters are great and fully formed, the romance between raine and seth is emotional and loving, the action scenes are good and exciting.
I love maya banks kgi series and lilliana harts mckenzie security novels but this story is much better than those and I cant wait until I read the next in the series and I hope it is just as good if not better

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, hot and sensual edge of your seat thriller. The perfect mix., 16 Feb 2011
J. Green (Lancashire,) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Mass Market Paperback)
I absolutley loved this book! It's not often you come accross an intelligent mystery/thriller, that's also a top notch sizzling romance as well. Seth is your regular dominant alpha male, but I like that. I've just dicovered this author and will definitely be reading the rest of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars BARGINNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!, 5 Aug 2014
H. Barnes (staffordshire) - See all my reviews
Amazing book have the original paperback and just upgraded to and added to my kindle at the rock bottom price of £0.73p. Can not go wrong with this Author have loved everything she has ever written. This is the start of a series and although ideally I would recommend tol read all works well as a stand alone. This is Raine and Seth's story it is a little twisted and a little rauncy in places but a really good read. Seth's little brother is killed and and Seth sets out to bring justice to his killers the only way he knows how with a little bit of blurring the lines of right and wrong. Raine has been brought up with only her emotionally distant and promiscuios mothers as a steady influence in her life since her father death and shes out to bring justice to the man that killed him her Uncle!!! So as both Seth and Raine go about bringing the killers to justice they meet and fall in lust.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame there isn't a "no star" option, 28 Sep 2011
K. M. Paton (Arezzo, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book on the back of the reviews on Amazon. Having been burnt in the past with "shill" reviews, I do try to be very careful not to buy rubbish as I'm an avid reader and hate spending money on a book I'm not going to at least think was ok. Maybe this just wasn't my kind of book - I read mostly thrillers by a wide range of authors from John Hart, R J Ellory, Lee Child, Mark Billingham, Harlen Coben etc. to Scandinavian authors and also alot of mixed fiction. I love finding a new author & discovering a whole new series that I hadn't previously encountered so decided to give this a go, despite my misgivings...something was niggling that this was going to be one of those I wished I had left alone. And it was. The writing was worse than anything Mills & Boon could've come up with, the so-called "erotic" sex scenes were cringe-worthy ("suckling" is a word that has no place in a sex scene...)and in the end, I threw it in the garbage which is something I have never done before.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS, 20 Jun 2011
L. Sims "Linda" (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Seth is a Surveillance expert he is covertly watching Raine Cameron, the beautiful blond is victor Lazar's new employee maybe mistress, something which does not sit well with Seth he is becoming more and more enamoured of the blond beauty. There have been some lapses in security at Lazar's and Seth has managed to get an appointment with Victor Lazar as a security consultant, this is part of Seth's plan to infiltrate Lazar's organisation. lazar is a dangerous man and a crook. After seeing Raine so many times on the hidden cameras in her house, it is something else to be face to face with this women who he becoming obsessed with. At the first meeting between Lazar and Seth, Lazar sees Seth's attraction for Raine, so hoping to use this for his own advantage he sets up a meeting which will leave Raine and Seth alone! This is a fast paced exciting sexual thriller. The plot is complex but easy to follow I really enjoyed Ms. mcKenna's writing style. The characters are well developed and not just the two leads, the sex in this book plays a very important part of the story as it reflects the mood and relationship development between Seth and Raine. As Seth is a highly volatile man, he does not believe he has the ability to love, but depending on his mood angry jealous or loving this tends to dictate the pace of the relationship with Raine. For her part she has her own reasons for working at Victor Lazar's something she hides from Seth. If you are looking for an exciting RED HOT read I believe you could not do better than to start here, highly recommend

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors by SHANNON MCKENNA (Mass Market Paperback - 22 Oct 2003)