5.0 out of 5 stars Geniuses and Demons
This is the fifth installment of the Artemis Fowl series, with reportedly just one more to go. Most of the surviving characters are back, including of course Artemis, the teenaged criminal genius and Butler his bodyguard, as well as Holly, the former female LEPrecon official, Foley the Centaur and Mulch the amazing digging dwarf, but this time there are also new and...
Published on 28 Sep 2006 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Artemis, but not as we know him
Having simply adored the previous Fowl books, my anticipation was at Fairy-pitch for the latest addition to this fantastic series.

Colfer has great ability as a story-teller; he can beautifully craft a narrative in a succinct, concise and hilarious style - what he does in a few pages takes most other fantasy authors chapters apon chapters.

But the...
Published on 18 Dec 2006 by O. C. Bryant

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Artemis, but not as we know him, 18 Dec 2006
O. C. Bryant - See all my reviews

But the Lost Colony seemed very padded for a Artemis Fowl book.

Firstly, there was alot of character building, especially within the Imp/Demon world of Hybras. Normally Colfer's characters (old or new) have a vibrancy and charisma, but I was left cold by the pre-pubescent No.1 and his bullying tribe.

Secondly, Colfer never really got to grips with Artemis' supposed nemisis, Minerva Paradizo and her place in the story. I was looking forward to someone who could give Fowl a run for his money, but this never really materialised. Although there were fleeting moments of this, I felt Colfer missed an opportunity to beguile Artemis for a change.

The passages with Diggums & Short were brilliantly crafted, and the introduction of Doohdah Day was Colfer at his finest - the small pixie driving a nuclear suped-up child's car around a French Chateau was worth the admission fee alone.

Perhaps the development of Artemis, the fact his criminal past is seemingly behind him has taken some of the bite out the story. And I'm worried that Artemis' new-found magical abilities will make writing another Fowl book even more difficult.

But I have faith in Colfer's undeniable genius. The background to the Battle of Talite was superb and I am desperate to know how on earth the Mud-Men forced the Fairy's underground. There is plainly much more to come from this series.

When you have so much to live up to, it must be extremely difficult to re-produce brilliant sequel after brilliant sequel - but that is what I have come to expect from Eoin Colfer and his case-study genius, Artemis Fowl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fowl back and form, 8 Aug 2006
L. Hogan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Eoin Colfer does it again. Great fun, great locations and great gadgets. The perfect book for any fan of young adult fiction (aged 9 or 90!), its an irreverent take on many facets of Irish culture from our image of the green "oirish" to the Celtic Tiger and more. Artemis is almost becoming a nice likable young man in this book, Butler develops a sense of humour and you are left with a big smile on your face. What more could you need? The movie version perhaps?

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous!, 20 Aug 2006
Loved this book. Fantastic!

The only disappointment is when you reach the last page and find you've finished the book, but want the adventure to continue. Please Mr Colfer, hurry up and write many more of your excellent books very soon. I realise arty's now nearing adulthood, but there has to be more adventures in store for him and the gang for us to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Artemis is BACK!!!, 14 Oct 2006
Artemis Fowl is the criminal mastermind of the century! And he's still in his teens! But what happens when another young genius comes along, who doesn't yet know the rules!

The latest adventure where Artemis is not just fighting to save this world, but another - a demon land! Can Artemis still cope under the pressure??

Magic! Demons! Elves! Dwarfs! Bodyguards! and Artemis! -----> Here we go again!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 25 Jun 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Artemis Fowl is back (finally)! I was terrified that my favorite Irish billionaire genius teenager was gone for good because author Eoin Colfer has been publishing a variety of books in the last couple of years that had nothing to do with good old Artemis. But, fortunately, the boy genius hasn't been forgotten. He's back and more brilliant than ever in this fifth installment of the high-tech fantasy series.

As THE LOST COLONY opens, Artemis is fourteen years old and experiencing the uncomfortable pangs of puberty. While that alone is enough to keep most teens busy for a few years, Artemis has to contend with his surging hormones while trying to save an entire fairy race as it teeters on the brink of extinction. But it's that kind of multitasking that has made Artemis Fowl an international sensation.

THE LOST COLONY has all the elements that Fowl fans have come to expect, including a dizzying array of fairy-issue gadgets, danger whizzing past our heroes from a variety of sources, ingenious plans, and a bodyguard who is as loyal as he is lethal. This book also includes a few new characters who were, for the most part, likeable and fun. The one notable exception is a twelve-year-old French girl who could give Artemis a run for his money in the genius category. She is pretty, rich, and highly annoying. I often found myself wishing that one of the other characters would "accidentally" dunk her in a sewer, or shave her head, or something equally unpleasant. Is it wrong for me to have feelings of aggression toward a fictional character? No, I don't think so. And you'll understand what I mean once you read the book.

Fans of the ARTEMIS FOWL series will not be disappointed in this newest adventure. There were a few problems with the story, including some hard-to-follow descriptions of how Artemis and company escape their latest predicament, and an irritating French girl (see above). Overall, though, I found this an enjoyable book with an ending that knocked me for a loop. And, as always, I was left wondering what mischief Artemis will dream up next.

Reviewed by: K. Osborn Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars Demon Fowl, 18 July 2008
A.K.Farrar "AKF" (Timisoara, Romania) - See all my reviews
Keep it simple, keep it fast and keep it jokey: Perfect entertainment for the mid-teens (and older).

I've enjoyed all the Artemis Fowl novels to date - and this latest, Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony, is no exception.

For those not in the know, Artemis is a teenage genius with a penchant for crime, and a big - very BIG - minder called Butler. He's been annoying the hell out of the fairy kingdom for years, although, having saved each other from disaster more than once, they have the sort of a love-hate relationship neither side would admit to: Holly, ex-LEPrecon (the fairy police), is his principle contact and Foley (the centaur) the technical wizardry supplier - oh, and there is a singularly repulsive character called Mulch, the perfect manifestation of all younger teenage toilet humour jokes - what comes out of his backside on a regular basis shall not soil these pages, even though it might fertilize the ground (and pollute the air).

In this episode Artemis starts off demon hunting in Barcelona - and catches more than he bargains for.

For starters there is an initially slightly younger female genius just as arrogant, just as rich and just as infuriating as he is himself: And with the surging of adolescent juices, Artemis is getting a little emotional: Not his sort of thing at all - he even has to ask Butler for advice! She's too busy working on a paper for her first Nobel prize to take much notice.

Then there are the demons - whose own adolescent juices make the trials of the average human no more taxing than squeezing the odd blackhead. One of the demons seems to have a problem of delayed adolescence - but that turns out to be a good thing for all demon kind, although somewhat embarrassing for the poor individual concerned.

The final element is a suitably manic maniac, Kong - the human equivalent of a Polar bear amongst the seals. He had the misfortunes to have had a creative older brother whose embroidered `boggy-man' stories result in a series of very unfortunate events at the top of a very high skyscraper and an exhibition of very accurately detailed stone carving from the Celtic fringes.
Nothing to worry about though - even though Artemis lets Holly die and fails totally at one point, trapping himself forever on the other side - all ends happy `til the next episode, in the end.

Great read (parents - steal it off the kids and sneak it under the bed covers).

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Colony or Losing the Plot?, 10 Sep 2006
Chrestomanci (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've long been a fan of Artemis Fowl - the fast paced plot and the sharp, witty dialogue ... but speaking personally, this latest offering is my least favourite. It's hard to be precise about the exact reason; all the usual ingredients are there ... but then, perhaps THIS is the problem. At times it all felt a bit "same-old same-old!"

The addition of a potential romantic interest for Artemis didn't feel entirely believable to me; he's always struck me as someone so utterly focussed that not even puberty would be able to distract him. It felt like it was the sort of thing `expected' of the author, and I wondered if there has been some editorial pressure to head in this direction now that, in the world of Hogwarts, Harry and Ginny are an item! I suspect that the majority of Artemis's fan base is male, and research shows that most 9 - 14 year-old boys prefer wall-to-wall action to romance.

In this latest episode, while the setting was new, the plot felt a little more predictable than usual ... and at one point I even wondered if I had the patience to read it right through, (something that practically NEVER happens). Well, I DID read it right through, and by the end felt more optimistic for future books in the series. (Mild plot spoiler ahead), with Artemis acquiring a little magic of his own ... and returning home to discover he's now an older brother to twins ... future plot potential is, once again, looking distinctly hopeful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost - and found it's way to my bookshelf., 23 Feb 2007
Jade Harrison "Book Addict" (Stirling, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read the all of the previous Artemis Fowl books, (and been eargerly awaiting the next installment in the series) as soon as I saw the Lost Colony recommended for me on Amazon I knew I would love it, and therefore had to buy it. I wasn't about to be disappointed. The book has all the wit, humour, magic and fast-paced action of all of the other books so far. Plus there are a lot of interesting developments in the storyline. Artemis being interested in girls? Playing a good guy when there's nothing in it for himself?

As well as being a great read all on it's own, the book is on par, if not even better, than the rest of the series, developing the characters that a lot of Artemis fans have come to know and love. And of course, there are some new editions to the cast, each with their own distinctive personality and sense of humour. Eoin has done an impressive job of writing this series which I think appeals to a large target audience, being childish enough for kids to read, but not dumbed down too much for older readers to enjoy. I would highly recommend this book (along with the other Artemis novels) to anybody, especially those with a fondness for books with a magical theme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interview with a warlock, 30 Aug 2006
J. Garton "Jo Garton" (Swindon) - See all my reviews
The best of the Artemis Fowl books so far! Number 1's trials and tribulations contrast brilliantly with the goings on back on the mud world and there are some excellent new characters. Although the plot twist and turns, Colfer never loses sight of the characters and his trade mark humour continues with witty lines for everyone. It's great to see the characters growing up- not just Artemis, but Foaly too. I look forward to the series continuing- some great possibilities for the future with a powerful warlock and the little surprise for Artemis on the last page!(Don't read ahead you cheaters!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - has got my son to enjoy reading, what more could you ask for?, 27 Jun 2007
C. Gurd (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I've only read parts of this book myself, as a bed time story for my son who's 11. I'd read a few pages and then leave him to read a bit more. I'm delighted as this is the first proper sized book that he has really enjoyed. Every other book I think I've read most of it for him,as he's never really got into them. But this...It was all I could do to get him to put it down. At last he's got exited about reading. The story's action packed, witty yet understandable. Artemis Fowl is for my son what Terry Pratchett's Discworld was for me when I was younger.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl (Prebound Unnumbered))
The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl (Prebound Unnumbered)) by Eoin Colfer (Hardcover - Mar 2008)
Used & New from: £137.08