5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously fabulous!
Published on 8 Sept. 2001 by Marek Kuczynski

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Tamora's Best But Still Enjoyable
I should probably start by saying I've been hooked on Tamora Pierce's books for almost six years now. I have to admit that even I have never been the biggest fan of her Circle of Magic series set in Emelan, so I wasn't all that sure if I wanted to catch up with these new characters.
Published on 3 Jan. 2004 by Scriber_scouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously fabulous!, 8 Sept. 2001
Marek Kuczynski (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is amazing. I don't care what other people say about the books set in Emelan being "not up to standard", or any of that rubbish. I think that this quartet and the one preceeding it are some of the best she's written. In this book, Briar and Rosethorn are staying in Chammur when Briar spots a girl polishing stones in the market. He sees that she has magic, but will he be able to find a teacher for the girl (Evvy), and what of the Vipers - the street gang controlled by a noble? Will Briar be able to stop them from capturing and using Evvy to find them riches? Find out in this thrilling book, which is part of a thrilling series. Read it - you'll love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Tamora's Best But Still Enjoyable, 3 Jan. 2004
The basic plot of this quartet is the Circle of Magic gang, a few years older and wiser and trained in their powers. In each book these young mages find themselves a reluctant teacher to an apprentice who like them has an unusual magical Gift.
This book catches up with Briar a loveable ex street rat and now a fully trained Green Mage, whose power is in plants. Briar is a few years older than when we saw him last which gives the series a welcome maturity, the one thing that always bothered me about COM was that it seemed to be marketed at much younger readers.
Briar with his teacher Dedicate Rosethorn are travelling through Chammur and are seperated from his foster siblings Sandry, Tris and Daja. Briar whilst sight seeing in the market meets Evvy who he realises has a magical connection with the stones she polishes. Briar also comes to the attention of some street gangs, and the gang's wealthy beneficiary a Lady wants Evvy to help her pet gang become the fiercest in Chammul. Briar's new incarnation as teacher doesn't get off to a smooth start.
Evvy is a nice fully rounded character, her actions are believable if at times she seems too sweet and cloying to have survived on the streets. Her interactions with Briar are interesting and ring true. The plot for this part of the series is definitely the most exciting so far as it focuses on gangwar fare and Briar's reflections on his old life as a street thief. The scenes where he must use his magic to rescue the kidnapped Evvy are thrilling. Who knew what seemed like such a hippy power like gardening magic could cause so much damage?
I only give this title 3 stars, because the characterisation, while much better than the predecessors, is rather weak. We are never given adequate reason why the Lady should want to have a pet gang at her disposal or why she wants a young untrained stone mage. Especially as she proves later in the book that she can bully the only trained stone mage in town to do her bidding.
This also gets a star knocked off for the intrusion of modern slang in the book, which the author draws attention to in a very annoying way, e.g 'kid wasn't just a young goat it was street talk where Briar came from for an older child.' Yes all those bits while it may seem trivial really really annoyed me.
This is a good book, but not her best. It will appeal to the die hard fan and those who enjoyed the Circle Of Magic series but for more discerning readers this will fail to excite and delight across the age groups as the Tortall series' did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way Better than I thought!, 12 April 2001
By A Customer
Tamora Pierce's books are brill!! All her books are exelent!! i love all her books!! This Book was not what I exspected!As I said all her books are good but the seris of the four young mages had some flaws ,I was exspecting a good can't put down read ,but this book was beyond good!! If you gat this book, even borrow it you'll have a great time!! But you have to read magic in the weaving, Power in the storm, fire in the forging , Healing in the vine and Magic steps before you read this item. you may think not worth it, but its more than worth it!Some parts of the seris may leave you stunned some parts will make you cry, some parts might make you snore ,But this book has no flaws! If you enjoy these titals you'll love the rest of her books!
I think Tamora Pierce ha real talent for drawing children and adults to her world!! Give this booki and the seris a go you wont be left hanging!...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 6 Sept. 2003
H. Albert (Norfolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed reading this book. Having read all of Tamora Pierce's previous books, I would probably say that I generally preferred the Tortall to the Emelan books. The first quartet set in Winding Circle, although good, were (I thought) aimed at a rather lower age group than her other books. However the Circle Opens quartet appear to be more on her normal level, and are very enjoyable. I much preferred Briars character in this book to 'The Healing in the Vine', probably because his role was so much larger due to the absense of the other 3. The only criticism I would have of this series is that the plots of each of the books are a bit similar.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've read Magic Circle you must read this!, 31 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
This book is one of Tamora Pierce's best written books. A perfect sequel to the adventures of Briar, Tris, Sandry and Daja. I'ts not one of those boring books that you can juess the plot to straight away, far from it! Once again you Join Briar Moss and his teacher Rosethorn in an exiting adventure that involves an untrained girl with gem magic and a gang that wants to use her to rob houses in the city, and Briar who has to train her but how?

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT AS USUAL!!!, 3 April 2001
Ruth (Clackmannanshire, Scotland. UK) - See all my reviews
Once again tamora pierce have created a book that is exciting and different than any of the book before. Briar is away from home with Rosethorn and see a girl who is untrained in her magic. Briar again gets mixed up in alot of trouble and finds out he has to teach the girl. Great book with a good ending. My only wish is that i hope in the four book that they all meet up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Tamora Pierce book. Definately not a disappointment., 8 May 2002
Having been an avid reader of Tamora Pierce for a while now, I was not disappointed by this latest addition to her Emelan series. I must admit the series set in Tortall did not quite satisfy me, as I didn't enjoy the ending, and I have found the books featuring the Winding Circle mages a lot more interesting. Unfortunately, the new series 'The Circle Opens' only seems to use one of the children in each book, in this case Briar, but nevertheless, I was once again hooked by her imagination. Although not particularly different from her other books, this is certainly a book worth reading. Despite any critisms I might have made, Street Magic is an excellent book by an outstanding author.

5.0 out of 5 stars street magic, 22 Jan. 2014
Another excellent story. It follows Briar the street urchin who was taken to learn magic. It shows his interaction with other street urchins and the people who prey on them. But they soon get their comeuppance.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is excellent for all TP fans., 5 Oct. 2001
By A Customer
Since I was 9 I have been hooked on books by Tamora Pierce, but if I was introduced to them now I would probably not like them - the writing style is cringe-making, and the plot predictable, and yet I still love them. So if you have already become addicted, this book is excellent, better than all her other ones set in Emelan, however to a initiate - don't bother. Although the Emelan books can never be as good as those set in Tortall, there are the violent elements, and it is not so painfully politically correct as her other Emelan novels. Disappointingly it does not feature any characters from the previous books other than Briar and Rosethorn - so any hopes of romance are dashed, but throughout it is excellent.

Street Magic (Circle Opens (Prebound))
Street Magic (Circle Opens (Prebound)) by Tamora Pierce (Hardcover - 1 Mar. 2002)