5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I have Ever Read.
I have just received my copy of 'Universe, the definitive visual guide' from Amazon and I can say it is the best book I have ever owned. It is not just an Astronomy book although it covers that vast subject area like no other.
Published on 15 Jan. 2006 by Tim Costello

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, not so good condition
the book itself is very good, full of amazing pictures and illustrations with enough knowledge for the everyday person not wanting to study the subject. However the condition of the book wasn't as great, as it was advertised as good condition, but when it arrived the paper cover had rips and tears as well as the whole spine of the book had come away, leaving some pages...
Published 8 months ago by Jess White

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I have Ever Read., 15 Jan. 2006
Tim Costello (Dublin, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Universe (Astronomy) (Hardcover)
Everything we should know about our Earth, the Moon and surrounding planets, Galaxies and Nebulas to the 'edge' of the Universe are lavishly illustrated and knowledgeably explained, leaving just enough of the mysteries for us to look at and wonder.
Just open this beautiful, huge and heavy book at any page at random and you will be blown away. The quality of print, photographs, animations and artwork is unsurpassed and the research and, yes, centuries of history and knowledge that have made this book possible are all laid out. They all combine to truly make it 'the Definitive Visual Guide'. You will need no other to understand your place in the Universe.
It took some courage to undertake the production of such a magnificent volume of over 500 pages at such a give-away price and we all wish the DK company success. But there is a different and frightening kind of bravery needed to really show how insignificant and indeed random is the existance our planet Earth. You will see how we were formed, what a tiny place we occupy and finally how we will be swallowed up and snuffed out by what is now the friendly, but expanding, Sun. That is of course if the approaching Anromeda Galaxy doesn't get us first.
This is an unforgettable work of art and science into which you can dip at random anytime. It will truly change your life and the way you see things, for the better. If you only ever again buy one book, make sure it is this: 'Universe, the Definitive Visual Guide'.
Tim Costello, Dublin, Ireland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !, 6 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Universe (Astronomy) (Hardcover)
This is one of the best books I have ever bought.
Amazing photographs, excellent text, up-to-date.
The book is divided into three sections
1)Basic concepts of astronomy
a)What is the universe
b)The beginning and end of the universe
c)The view from the earth
d)Exploring space
2)Guide to the universe
a)Solar System
b)The Milky Way
c)Beyond the Milky Way
3)The night sky
a)The constelations
b)Monthly sky guide
If you are interested in astronomy-cosmology then this book should be in your library.
Not just a visual guide, this book is packed with interesting facts, especially, about the fabric of space-time, the origin and the end of the universe and space flight.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent book, 11 Aug. 2008
This book is exceptional for the money. Dorling Kindersley's usual excellent formatting means that the book is easy to read & beautifully illustrated. In the past, the one criticism that I'd make about some of their books is that the information contained within sometimes didnt quite match the standard of the photography. However this book has very concise & detailed information making it useful for both experienced enthusiasts as well as newcommers to Astronomy & indeed, anyone who has an interest in Science as it covers everything from atoms right up to galactic super-clusters. If you want one reference guide to Astronomy or Cosmology then you won't go far wrong with this. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Universe, 31 May 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Universe (Astronomy) (Hardcover)
`Universe' is part of the amazing DK reference book series that covers many topics in a big book format. This book is simply incredible. It is extremely easy to read through and perfect to dip into when you have a spare hour, but it may be best to leave a couple of hours free as you'll get so engrossed. It covers such a variety of topics in a rich and engaging way and this book is worth buying for the photos alone. The photos really are stunning and you may find yourself gaping at the stunning imagery. You may also feel, as I did, humbled by the sheer scale and beauty of the images depicted and it really puts into perspective the size of the universe and our tiny place within it. This is another great coffee table book to be picked up and enjoyed whenever you can!

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY & UTTERLY AMAZING, 3 Feb. 2006
Matt Verboom (Alton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Universe (Astronomy) (Hardcover)
This book is awesome, i was hesitant at first but it is money extremely well spent. You could lose yourself in this book for days at a time.
It is well written to make it an easy read and the pictures and illustrations put everything into perspective & are mind blowing. How can people still believe that we are alone in the vastness of our universe I'll never know. This book is a MUST for anybody interested in Astronomy.....
A big thank you to all involved in making this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe Inspiring, 20 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Universe (Astronomy) (Hardcover)
If you have ever wondered, then buy this book. It is the best reference book i have ever read. Mind numbing and humbling. If you think the Earth is unique and created, then this will sureley give you food for thought. If you are a little more aware, then this will put alot in perspective. From atoms and particles to super black holes, galaxy clusters and dark matter.
'a hundred years ago we believed the milkway to be the extent of the universe, we now know there are over 100 billion galaxies in our observable universe'
WOW

5.0 out of 5 stars The Universe in one big book., 24 Nov. 2006
M. Carter (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Universe (Astronomy) (Hardcover)
I purchased this book recently and was so impressed I just had to write this review. It is a huge and heavy book that is absolutely crammed to the rafters with in-depth detail, astonishing facts, informative diagrams and beautiful photographs (many from Hubble Space Telescope). There are detailed sections on galaxies, stars and planets, as well as the Big Bang and a series of sky maps. I was particularly impressed with the galaxy section, as up till now I only really knew about Andromeda and a few others. "Universe" has broadened my mental map of the cosmos by several hundred million light years! It is also very up to date, with pictures taken by the Spirit/Opportunity probes on Mars and also Cassini-Huygens.

Dorling Kindersley are brilliant at producing these complete reference guides, I also have their Dinosaur reference book which is similarly broad in depth. Pretty much everything you need to know about the Universe, without going into specialised areas, is here in this book. If you only ever buy one book on space, this should be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 41, 15 Feb. 2007
Bob Singleton (West Molesey, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Universe (Astronomy) (Hardcover)
This book is as close as I'll ever get to understanding life, the universe and everything else, so not quite 42.

From the beginnings of the universe with the Big Bang, this book takes us on a journey through our own solar system, the Milky Way and beyond employing some of the most stunning photographs I have ever seen, and clear and concise illustrations where photography is impossible.

This is a "must have" book.... not just for people interested in astronomy, this book is for everyone and a truly humbling read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 4 Nov. 2008
G.L.C (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
Just bought this book for £14 and feels more like a steal, worth every penny. Pages and pages of enjoyable information and fantastic images.

Helps you to understand the smallest things up to the biggest.
Contents include

What is the universe?
The beginning and end of the universe.
The view from Earth.
Exploring space.
Guide to the Solar System.
The Milky Way.
Beyond the Milky Way.
Monthly Sky Guide.

And everything in between.

Want to know how the universe works? Want to know what an atom is? Want to know the life cycle of a star? Want to know how it began and how it may end?

If yes, then this book is for you. The list of what this book covers is almost endless. Whether you wonder about space or know someone with a small or keen interest in astronomy you won't go wrong with this book.
RECOMMENDED 5 STARS! Really is 'THE DEFINITIVE VISUAL GUIDE'

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Universe (Paperback)
Having recently developed an interest in what lies beyond our world, I was looking for a book that is informative, interesting and not too dry. Now the topic of the universe can not in any way be described as being dry, but this book is a brilliant attempt to explain everything you would want to know about the universe.

The book discusses the beginning and possible end of the universe, the planets, stars and other celestial objects that frequent it.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and looking at its stunning photgraphs. The book is presented in a more compact and paperback version which makes it easier to read. I would definitely recommend this book and you will not be disappointed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Universe
Universe by Robert Dinwiddie (Paperback - 19 May 2008)
Used & New from: £7.11