5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant little book that I never want to be parted from.
Published on 6 May 2004 by CZ

1.0 out of 5 stars Bolt the what on where?
Spectacularly unhelpful maintenance manual. Inadequate textual deacription....pictures too small or unhelpful....terms and parts not described or explained....too much assumed knowledge....omits several important basic tasks. Surprising but sadly true as Sidwell's "Bike Book" is great.
Published on 29 Sep 2004 by Neil9797

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant little book that I never want to be parted from., 6 May 2004
CZ (Kingston upon Thames, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bicycle Repair Manual (Paperback)
The minute I got this book I used it to adjust my gears and clean my headset. I do lots of cycling but I'm not too good at some of the more complex repairs - this book is 10 times better than any other bike maintenance book I've seen. It contains everything you need to know, whether you are an occasional weekend cyclist or a hardened racer. It covers all types of bikes from road bikes to mountain bikes and children's bmx's. It is packed with easy to read information on how all the parts of a bike work, how to clean, maintain and repair them. Every page contains easy to follow explanations - all accompanied by very clear pictures. It covers every level of expertise from fixing a puncture and changing a brake cable to truing a wheel and repairing suspension forks. I cannot imagine how I ever lived without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, 2 Jun 2011
This review is from: Bicycle Repair Manual (Paperback)
An excellent wee book with loads of "how to" photos -one of my requirements when I'm a dumbo at doing basic repairs up to more complex bike strip downs. It is well written and is in a handy A5 size. Good value. I have seen other bike books around and I think this is the best I for me for the level of work I will do on my road bike and mountain bike

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference book, 27 May 2009
This review is from: Bicycle Repair Manual (Paperback)
This is a good reference book, I'm using it to avoid paying the extortinate servicing fees the big cycle shops charge for simple servicing of my bike.
The troubleshooting guide could be a little bit more detailed though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get home without it, 3 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Bicycle Repair Manual (Paperback)
Full of practical advice, clearly presented and above all memorable. Got stuck out on the trail recently, but remembered some of the tips gleaned from this book, and ended up being able to contunue back home. Invaluable!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bolt the what on where?, 29 Sep 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Bicycle Repair Manual, 11 Oct 2009
wed1867 (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bicycle Repair Manual (Paperback)
Not as detailed as I had hoped. Good Guide for the beginner cvclist. I had hoped I was buying the "Haynes Manual" for cyclists. But not to be.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant...., 13 Aug 2010
T. Hunt (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bicycle Repair Manual (Paperback)
This book title says "Repair Manual", you would expect it to show how to replace brake blocks, which is the main reason I bought the book.

It doesn't, it shows how to adjust them, not very helpfully to be honest, but no mention of how to replace them at all.

I wish I'd paid the bit extra and got the Haynes Manual now because this book isn't much help at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mostly pointless, 6 Jun 2011
Head4Heights (Camberley, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bicycle Repair Manual (Paperback)
This book has neither breadth nor depth of anything useful. It skips patchily over what I needed to know and left me feeling like a complete clot for wasting my money. Don't make the same mistake unless your level of understanding of bicycles stops at wondering what the big round things are called.

2.0 out of 5 stars Neither nowt nor summat, 28 Sep 2009
This review is from: Bicycle Repair Manual (Paperback)
Although this book appears on first read to be comprehensive, it just isn't. If you want a proper repair manual, it needs to be a lot bigger than this typical Dorling Kindersley approach with lots of pretty pictures.

If you want to learn nothing more than the basics, it's a fine purchase. But if you think you might need to take on more complex tasks later then it falls short. The section on the bottom bracket for example is limited to two pages and does not even show you what the various bottom bracket tools look like. What is the point of such a book? If you know what the tools are and how to use them, you don't need the book.

Buy Zinn & The Art of Bicycle Maintenance instead - it's well written and much more detailed.

Bicycle Repair Manual
Bicycle Repair Manual by Chris Sidwells (Paperback - 19 May 2008)
Used & New from: 2.77