Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 December 2011
Great motivation for reluctant readers, (often boys) who love Star Wars and hang around the book corner for ages, without finding a book that's written for them.

This one gives interesting information about the Jedi order. All the why's and wherefore's of being a Jedi. It also suits boys who just want to know about 'stuff', like what exactly is a Jedi Holo projector anyway? And what other amazing devices do they keep stashed in that belt of theirs? If you want to know about the rules for Jedi and their training this is great. It is not just a book about Luke as the picture suggests. It explains a thing or two about Sith as well. Use the force young Padawan!

The books are smaller than the average book size, but more bite sized. Having said that; the level 3 readers are really good value - as they contain a fair amount of text on each page, at least one or two good sized paragraphs and lots of longer words. If you are reading it at bed time it will take a fair amount of time!

Illustrated on each page with stills from the films (always a good page turner for boys developing reading stamina). It is not a story/narrative as such - more written in the style of an information book. It has a glossary at the back and call out boxes with additional bite sized details. It also suits children with learning difficulties ASD, dyslexia and plain old reluctant readers, as the text is straight forward and easy to understand. We find the DK level 1 and 2 great for our ASD boy aged 5. Level 3 would probably suit an average to above average young Star Wars fan.
on 5 February 2010
Ideal for Star Wars fans young and old, although a perfect incentive for independent reading for my Star Wars mad seven-year-old.
on 8 June 2013
These are excellent readers for the those wanting to follow their favourite characters in the star wars adventures.My grandson loves them!
on 6 August 2011
I used this for party gift packs for a client's Star Wars themed birthday party. They went down a treat! Great value and quality.
on 5 December 2011
My niece loved this (got her some Star Wars books for birthday presents). Went down really well (with both the kids & parents). Would recommend the DK reader series, if you're not sure what to get kids for presents. I think she found level 3 to be a bit too easy though (it was her 9th birthday), as she's asked for level 4 next time. I wasn't sure how hard these books might be. The subject matter really encourages them to want to read more though!
on 22 March 2012
Having bought this for an 8 year old I now wish I had looked at some of the other "Level 3" books which did have a "look inside" available as it is extremely basic for a fluent reader of his age. Fortunately I also have a 6 year old daughter who is also getting into Star Wars whom it might be more suitable for.
While I could see it only had 48 pages, I had not realised it would have 50% of the space taken up with pictures or that the text would be 1cm tall and very basic. The content is really a summary of the films and you could pick up the gist of what makes a Jedi from the book but it really is a reading book which contains a very basic description of what Star Wars is about rather than adding anything new to any child who has already seen the films.
I would say it would be a good way to get a 4-6 year old to read about a topic they might have an interest in but as I had bought it for an 8 year old and did not know what level 3 was, I can only say I am a little disappointed.
on 3 December 2013
I wanted it for my EFL lessons and my pupils enjoy it a lot!
Easy vocabulary and amazing pictures for them!
on 31 July 2013
George - aged 6: First I am going to tell you about some people of the Jedi; Yoda, Mace Windu, Quigon Gin, Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. Also, they all get forced into the Clone Wars. They destroy some of the Droids, that's the end!
on 6 April 2010
My son has recently become a fluent reader and these books are just right for his level. It helps that he's a massive star wars fan too.
on 2 January 2013
It was a gift that the boys loved to read and copy the pictures.
For the price, it's great! It has lots of photos from the films
and clear text that's easy to read.