5.0 out of 5 stars Human Body
Excellent book for graphically displaying the structure and systems of the human body. This book is worth its value for the diagrams/pictures alone. Common diseases are clearly presented and overall adequately explained. It is a very useful book for reference at home or for students starting their education in health related professions.
The DVD is slighly...
Published on 25 Jan 2008 by MScott

2.0 out of 5 stars You may well be disappointed with accompanying DVD-Rom
Published on 11 Mar 2008 by Book Reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Human Body, 25 Jan 2008
MScott (Co. Fermanagh, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
The DVD is slighly disappointing as it would have been more useful if the daigrams in the book were on it. As it is the book itself is the main asset.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very informative book on the body, 14 Aug 2008
M. Eagle (UK) - See all my reviews
To start with I would like to clear up a comment a previous reviewer said about misinformation in this book. I was surprised to think a book written by medical people could get something supposedly so wrong. Having done some research of my own I have found that saliva can contain the HIV virus, not always and in very small amounts, usually fragmented RNA. The book didnt mention transmission by saliva, just that bodily fluids such as saliva can contain the virus. The reason HIV isnt transmitted through saliva is that there are enzymes in saliva that are reported to break down the viral RNA.
Now that has been cleared up I can say that the book is a great reference source for students, school children, medical people or anyone with an interest in human biology. There are plenty of well detailed pictures that go along way towards explaining how the body works along with text explanantions. This is further enhanced by the DVD-ROM which allows you to move your mouse cursor over different areas of the body to tell you what they are. I was particularly impressed with the muscular system as pointing your cursor at each muscle not only gave their name but what effect they had on movement.
There are a few animations on the DVD-ROM that look at a nerve impulse, beating heart, immune response and conception. I felt a voice over narrative would have finished these off better.
To summarise this book is by no means an exhaustive look at all body functions but is good at explaining all the basics alongside some great looking diagrams. As an aside and like others have said, the dust jacket of the book is quite clever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of information, 18 Aug 2009
Mrs. D. Nolan "Debbie Nolan" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book and DVD Rom is excellent. I have used it to brush up and
re-visit areas I had not thought about for some time. I think the visual aid and illustrations make it more exciting and improve the learning ability of the reader than the general books on sale. I would recommend it for anybody interested in A&P or taking an NVQ to Level 3(ITEC may need to research other books for more detailed information).The DVD worked on my pc, laptop and in the DVD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, clear, concise, a must have!, 14 Feb 2008
A. Pedliham (UK) - See all my reviews
I have found this book to be one of the best human body books around. DK have done it again with amazing illustrations, design and clear explanation. The process diagrams are excellent and the DVD attached to the book brings the described processes to life. It really does have everything from core anatomy to diseases plus a highly eye catching jacket!! - A must have in anyones book collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFULLY ILLUSTRATED & EASY TO READ - MUST HAVE, 27 Jan 2010
N. chung "heal with herbs" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
I don't normally write reviews (actually this is my first one having been an amazon shopper for years) but I felt compelled to tell everyone who is thinking of buying this book that they should definately do it. I have been studying anatomy/physiology/patholgy for the last 3 years and I wish that I had this as a resource when i started. This may be too basic for some but I would argue that it makes a great-looking reference guide for quick revision. I cannot convey how refreshing this book is compared to other physiology/pathology texts. This book was a life saver for my exams and I honestly think that I owe my high exam grades to this book! What it lacks in depth (students of medicine will need other more detailed textbooks too) it more than makes up for in clarity, breadth and delivery. Even if you don't like it for some reason when it arrives, it would make a lovely gift for someone who will. Everyone should own this book (medical student or not)to get an overview of how amazing our insides are! I have shown this book to so many people and everyone has gone on to buy it for themselves.

The book is clearly divided into all the systems of the body, each starting with a body map, a few double pages on the physiology, followed by a few double pages on the most common pathologies (which are neatly boxed, succinct & with photos & illustrations). The illustrations are colourful and detailed, graphics well laid out and making every page you turn different and exciting, cover design is cool (much fun adjusting whilst procrastinating over study), the pages are glossy and thick...professor winston and Dorling K deserve their reputations. WELL DONE it was worth every penny!

ps. no the cd isn't great (cardio was really disappointing) but its all about the book! D&K fans will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 14 Jan 2012
This book tells you every thing you need to know about every system in the human body.it has a reference on how systems work wich is realy easy to cross reference.i have learned how the body functions.it tells you about every thing from a molecule to an organ. i realy recommend people to buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Human Body Book, 23 May 2009
Mrs. K. L. Rollinson (England, Kent) - See all my reviews
I am sitting for a ITEC Diploma Anatomy and Psyiology course and found this book very helpful. I would recommend this for study or just fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book and DVD rom., 2 Feb 2009
R. Nightingale (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Quick delivery. An excellent book and DVD which will be great for my University studies. I look at people in a different way now that I have a real insight as to what is under the skin !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant book, 28 July 2010
I was recommended this book when doing my Access To Nursing Course. The book is brilliant at explaining things without going into too much detail. Its got great graphics to help you picture and understand exactly how all the body systems work. I would recommend this book to anyone who's doing Biology from GCSE upwards.

2.0 out of 5 stars You may well be disappointed with accompanying DVD-Rom, 11 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Human Body Book (Hardcover)
I purchased this book recently and the book itself is lavishly illustrated. In fact the illustrations are great. One of the reasons that I wanted the book was the accompanying DVD, but that is a major disappointment. It will not play at all on my computer (where I wanted to view it from). Windows Media Player comes up with error message CooD1199, "Cannot read the file". Additionally another error code 80040265. The DVD rom will not play on a Daewoo player that plays all other discs in my collection. When I go to play the DVD on a portable DVD/TV/Video player - it will only show 4 mpeg movies.
It's a fine book, but the DVD may disappoint you. It is frustrating not being able to access what is describe on the dustjacket of the book as "A spectacular DVD-Rom adds an extra dimension to the book, with dramatic, state-of-the-art animations and fully-interactive renderings of each body system."

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Human Body Book
The Human Body Book by Steve Parker (Hardcover - 30 April 2007)
Used & New from: 7.37