4.0 out of 5 stars Got Me Through My 1st Sewing Project in 22 Years!
Published on 10 Jun 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful if you are a absolute beginner
This is a very small book, suitable for someone who knows absolutely nothing about sewing, so if you can sew a bit already, or at least in a straight line I would recommend a more detailed/advanced book.
Published on 2 May 2009 by Orjana

4.0 out of 5 stars Got Me Through My 1st Sewing Project in 22 Years!, 10 Jun 1999
By A Customer
this is a great reference for someone who can sew a straight line but little more. It's a quick, practical, UNDERSTANDABLE, guide for the procedures glossed over in most patterns. The only part of the book that I would expand is the layout, marking, and cutting sections. This is where I would have appreciated a discussion of different techniques/shortcuts that will not ruin a project. Overall a great little book, the kind of thing I'd like to send my kids off with when they leave home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the beginner, 21 Oct 2006
E. Charters (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 101 Essential Tips: Basic Sewing (Paperback)
I class myself as a beginner in the sewing world . This is a great book for someone who is an absolute beginner but surprisingly was too basic for me . Very clearly laid out. Recommended for those who can sew a straight line but sew little else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners who need an easy and concise reference, 6 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This book is exactly what the title says, basic sewing. The book's illustrations are easy to follow and includes information and step-by-step guidance on how to make a dart, seams, sleeves, work with a pattern, hem and other sewing essentials. The book also shows how to make simple clothing repairs, something that plagues every household. In fact, I plan to give a copy of this book to all of my friends who show up with clothes and ask "can you fix this."

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivers its promise, 19 July 2001
This book keeps its promise of delivering "101 essential tips". From choosing cutting tools to repairing a button hole, there are lots of tips to satisfy the beginner sewer. While I like the layout, which includes step-by-step instructions accompanied by photos, this little book could be vastly improved by adding a few more pictures to some of the tips to make them more clear. A couple of pictures could also be improved by better choice of colour (e.g. attaching a flat collar, which is a glaring yellow, and darning a hole, which is so well done you cannot see the example stitches clearly enough!). Nevertheless, overall it is a very useful book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful if you are a absolute beginner, 2 May 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic? Only if you understand 'sewing speak'!, 6 July 2007
This review is from: 101 Essential Tips: Basic Sewing (Paperback)
101 tips, yes. Pictures unclear. Often refers to terms unfamiliar to someone new to sewing. some tips are about choosing the right type of something, it'll list 4 or 5, but only give an explanation of 2, so you're left wandering what the others are. I'll probably refer to it at some point, but I wish I'd picked a different 'basic sewing' guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessible small sewing handbook, 30 July 2011
Elizabeth S. Wells (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 101 Essential Tips: Basic Sewing (Paperback)
This little book is packed with information and clear illustrations for home seamstresses. Not only a book to refer to for items of information, but clear, illustrated demonstrations. I am glad to have this by me, when I am sewing - a really useful discovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars sewing know how, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: 101 Essential Tips: Basic Sewing (Paperback)
I bought this for my daughter to go with her new sewing machine, she was very pleased as it covers a lot of tips and techniques.

3.0 out of 5 stars The size of the book was deceiving., 2 May 2013
This review is from: 101 Essential Tips: Basic Sewing (Paperback)
I was deceived by the book as it looked bigger on amazon. Too small and not enough detail. I would look for a better book next time

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter traching herself to sew, 21 April 2013
This review is from: 101 Essential Tips: Basic Sewing (Paperback)
My daughter has decided to sew in her 30s and as we live 300 miles away I can't teach her, I bought this for her. She really likes it as an absolute beginner. Wish she'd shown an interest when young

101 Essential Tips: Basic Sewing
101 Essential Tips: Basic Sewing by DK Publishing (Paperback - 20 Sep 2004)
2.97