5.0 out of 5 stars What makes me me, 16 Feb. 2009
C. Winfield "Cazza" (Maldon, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What Makes Me Me? (Hardcover)
Bought it for my daughter as an interesting Christmas present and she could not put it down reading out facts that even I was unaware of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best body book, 2 Feb. 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: What Makes Me Me? (Hardcover)
This book is very good. It helps you learn about the body plus it has quizzes!
Caoilin, aged 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun interesting book........., 10 Dec. 2009
This review is from: What Makes Me Me? (Hardcover)
What makes me, me? A very interesting question, and one that is explored, mainly from a physical biology point of view......

It begins with elements that we are made of, with a bowl of what we are made of,
then it explains how and why it's not as easy as mixing some elements in a bowl..........

and from there we see the cells, and the body parts and so on,
and learn about DNA, and genetic inheiritance, our differences etc
and more.......

my son likes the idea of creating a body! he even got various elements together, saying, carbon from a pencil etc, in a bowl, and then we saw first hand how just mixing them together doesn't work- and of the infinite complexities of a human body,which when we look at it in the way this book does, quite a miracle that it exists - to gain all these various elements, but them together in a trillion piece 3d jigsaws of cells, put the cells into body parts, and the body parts into the body, and even then, there is more to it......

It doesn't exactly answer the whole question of 'what makes me me', in the spiritual sense, which may warrant another book altogether, but it is an interesting look at what makes me me in the biological/chemistry sense.....

i'm not sure whether to give it four or five stars really, as i think it doesn't fully answer the question in that way, but its worth 5 stars for the excellent information on the side that it does give, and its presented in an easy to understand way, the layout is appealing to look at, which photos, picutures on each page with the writing spaced out amongst the pictures and interesting backgrounds, if all science books were like this at school, i'd probably have learned a lot more!

OK, I'll give it 5 stars then, for what my opinion is worth! It will be interesting to see if the other books is the series are as good. 'What makes me' compares with Richard Hammonds 'Feel the Force' which is another excellent science book that, like this book, is also interesting and colourful to look at, as well as to read, with facts that can have adults and children alike going 'oo, i didn't know that!' (and suchlike!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, 28 Nov. 2011
Bought this book for my Nephew for Xmas - sat and read it myself and have decided to order another one for my own daughter. Def recommend it for those children with inquisitive minds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information and lots of fun, 2 Mar. 2012
I bought this book for my 11 year old daughter. She has delved into it a lot and has enjoyed reading it. The tests at the back of the book were fun to do and the one on personality was particularly fun when we did it together. We both learned a lot about the other person. A fun and informative book that I would recommend highly. It ties in well with Year 6/Year 7 topics covered in biology, by helping the pupil read further into this subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant range of books!!!, 26 April 2015
These books are brilliant!! Suitable for my 6 & 9 yr old equally. He makes everything fun & really gets questions & thinking going. Even as an adult you will learn things. We are collecting a lot if this range as supports learning in school. Full of colour, things to do, quizzes, some books have pop outs (Utterly Amazing Science is Fab!! & Science Experiments.) Really worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great doorway to world of human biology, 31 Dec. 2013
Bought this book for my 10 year old daughter for Christmas, she absolutely loves it. Content is easy to understand, filled with fascinating facts and illustrations. The book seem to have ignited in my daughter a fascination for science.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for inquisitive kids, 22 May 2014
Gave this to a 9-yo as a birthday gift. It was great for him, although he read it all in one evening. Great except for the too cheekily written male-female brain and traits section that provoked the feminist me way too much!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 17 Aug. 2013
It really is a lovely, informative book which has been really well thought through and is beautifully presented. I bought it for my Grandsons but haven't given it to them yet, not until I have finished looking at it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for inquisitive child - with things to do., 20 Feb. 2014
A Nesbitt (UK) - See all my reviews
Lots of great information and interactive things to do - anyone want to know their personality type ? He will be coming back to this for years

What Makes Me, Me?
What Makes Me, Me? by Robert M. L. Winston (Hardcover - 16 Aug. 2004)
Used & New from: £1.57