5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant story with Toby and ALL the gang
Published 11 months ago by J. Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars No Growth and Lacking Excitement
Published 8 months ago by Dianne Socci-Tetro

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant story with Toby and ALL the gang, 20 Sep 2013
J. Cooper "Jude" (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimes at Midnight (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
Seanan McGuire is probably the best example of a fantasy author around today who has not started going downhill after book 4, book 5 or book 6 of a series. A brilliantly realised world with a great array of characters from our heroine 'Sir' Toby, her cat-shifter boyfriend Tybalt, her fetch/sister May (I still love the May to October joke), her squire Quentin (who is 'Canadian') and the first-born Ludaeig - all of whom feature strongly in 'Chimes at Midnight'. With a theme focused on Toby's relationships and how they would change (whether they would survive) if she were all human this is a great addition to the earlier novels. You start to learn much more about Quentin (I'm looking forward to follow-ups there) and there are a few clues along the way of things that relate to Toby and her mother that will no doubt crop up later. Strongest of all is the growth in the relationship between Toby and Tybalt with Tybalt nearly losing it when he isn't allowed to see Toby by the Duke and then when he tries to persuade her to turn human to save her life. Superbly written - I only just managed not to turn it into an all-night read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does immortality excuse a person from engaging with mortals?, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Chimes at Midnight (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
I first discovered Seanan McGuire through her pseudonym Mira Grant. I enjoyed her "Newsflesh" characters so much that I wanted to give October (Toby) Daye a chance. Here I am seven novels later still reading about the adventures of changeling / knight / hero / granddaughter of Oberon: Toby Daye.

Why is it I like the October Daye series so much? My main reason has to do with the development of Toby’s character. Growth (whether for light or dark) in a character is what keeps me reading certain authors. If that development stops I move on. Thus far, I have had every reason to remain with October Daye and her faery world.

By now there have been so many losses and changes in Toby’s life that it is a wonder she is still up and about. McGuire has not given Toby the easiest life to live. Simple lives can be fun to read about but in the long run complexity is so much more fun. McGuire doesn’t slow down Toby’s challenges in "Chimes at Midnight".

Once again, Toby discovers that just because something is bad for the changelings and for humans does not mean that the pure-bloods care. Some do, but faery who care about the lives of changelings and humans are definitely in the minority. So it has been throughout history. Many are the tales of faery interacting with people with devastating results for the person. Perhaps being immortal has something to do with that. At least that is an excuse we hear in "Chimes at Midnight".

There is romance going on between Toby and Tybalt, but romance is not a major part of "Chimes at Midnight". Action is. As with the other Daye novels, McGuire keeps her novels free from explicitness.

I liked "Chimes at Midnight". When "The Winter Long" comes out I am going to buy it.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great instalment in October's story, 28 Oct 2013
E. Nicholson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimes at Midnight (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
I love urban fantasy and Seanan McGuire's brand is one of the best. Her heroine is engaging and the world building is detailed and fascinating. The plots are exciting and owe much to modern 'takes' on myths and fairy tales. I am very impressed by a couple of things: the series is uniformly good i.e. there are no less exciting volumes and the author maintains a high standard in every book - and - the actual book is lovely, with beautifully written English (and yes, the 'local' slang etc. is perfectly reproduced) and no typos, which is a treat nowadays, even in novels from reputable publishers.

The series has individual adventures for October, the changeling heroine, but the underlying sequence of events needs to be understood for much of the story to make real sense. I would recommend anyone wanting to sample McGuire's work to go for the first in the series and keep the rest as treats to come later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chines at Midnight. Seanan McGuire, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Chimes at Midnight (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have become hooked on Toby and have already started her last book to
date. I don't want to put them down and can't wait for the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book!, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Chimes at Midnight (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
Chimes at Midnight is another great book in the October Daye series. Action, character development and a touch of humour - I recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars No Growth and Lacking Excitement, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Chimes at Midnight (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is supposed to be the book that bumps this series up to a new level of understanding and excitement. It should have shown how October has grown, matured and become better at everything. It did not. If anything I am now worried that October is going to become a Mary Sue type of character. However, don't get me wrong. I still really like this series and most of the characters and will keep reading the series. I just won't expect too much in the way of character growth.

What we have here in this book is October and friends still fighting the same villain (The Queen of the Mists) and although things do move along in this book, we never really see a conclusion. The crew is always fighting secondary villains to get to the main one and it is getting a little tiresome. Why? Because I am worried that Ms McGuire is going to be one of those authors that drags things out to a frustrating point by fighting the same thing in every book but in a different way. Very few authors can do this with grace, and even less of them know when to end a series.

Ms McGuire is a very talented author that has created an interesting world. Some of the secondary characters are truly fascinating. Some are just useless as far as furthering the plot line. However, her plots have become predictable. Toby is asked to help someone, she blunders around, is nearly killed, requests the help of The Luideag and of course is told that The Luideag cannot help but of course, there is a lot of hinting involved. Tybalt always comes to the rescue (is he even doing his King activities anymore?) and eventually October seems to blunder her way into saving the day.

-------------------------> Spoiler Alert<------------------

What happens with Quentin and his parent I could have predicted. I still liked the idea of who his parents are, but it was predictable if you had been paying attention.
The main plot of Treassa (sp) not really being the Queen of the Mists was an interesting one that I didn't see coming, but it was handled somewhat boringly. To have her escape at the end of the novel just seems a little trite and a way to keep the series going. If the author had wrapped this up a little more cleanly, she could have just come up with some new villains to keep the series going.

-------------------->End Spoilers<------------------

The romance between October and Tybalt is bland. There was more excitement between Toby and Conner (and sex too) than with Tybalt.

I really had expected and looked forward to ever so much more than what we got in this novel.

PS ---- Could we cool it on the coffee addiction? It is getting a little nerve wracking to read about coffee on what seems like every page. It was funny and endearing the first few books but is now just grating to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intrieging, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Chimes at Midnight (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
She gives the caraters life and the suspence are breathtaking. I loved it...waiting eagerly for more. Would be happy if the books comes more often.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toby versus the Evil Queen, 17 Oct 2013
David Paul Jebb "trainboydave" (Craigavon, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
In trying to stamp out the goblin fruit trade, a type of fae drug, in San Francisco, October Daye is exiled by the Queen in the Mists. Never one to take things lying down, Toby decides to pit herself against the Queen... with far reaching consequences.

This is by far the best October Daye book yet. For too long, Toby has accepted the ways of fae court, but in this volume she decides to go against the grain and challenge the Queen herself. The very fabric of the world Seanan McGuire has created is changed, the status quo is completely shaken up. This is what all urban fantasy writers should be doing once their series get past book five or six, to keep their worlds fresh and the readers eager to see what they will do. One thing is for sure, I am very excited about future entries in this series, as McGuire is not afraid to rock the boat.

My one big qualm, only qualm really, is that the 'evil villainess' in the October Daye books are starting to blend into one for me: Rayseline, Oleander de Merelands, and even the Queen in the Mists- they all are cunning, beautiful a little tragic and slightly insane. There is not enough to differentiate them from one another.

However, this is made up for the fact that Toby's supporting cast is full of gems and we as readers start to feel for them as we would our own friends and family.

I cannot wait to see what Toby and her motley crew do next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb book from Seanan McGuire, 6 Oct 2013
James Beal (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimes at Midnight (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have yet to read a story by Seanan McGuire that is not well crafted and enjoyable, this is not the first.

I await the next book and I am bitterly aware that Amazon haven't let us buy her serial in the UK.

Chimes at Midnight (October Daye)
Chimes at Midnight (October Daye) by Seanan McGuire (Mass Market Paperback - 3 Sep 2013)
4.77