5.0 out of 5 stars I liked it a great deal., 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: Love on the Run (Daw Book Collectors) (Mass Market Paperback)
It's more than 20 years since I first picked up a Katharine Kerr book. That was Daggerspell, the first book of her epic Deverry fantasy series. It was the start of a long and happy relationship in which Kit would write books and I would read them and love them. When Deverry came to an end, I was bereft.

Then Kit started writing these Nola O'Grady books, and all was well in the world again. I said in a previous review of License to Ensorcell that these books were perhaps "Kit lite", and I still think that's true, but it has to be said that Kit's skills in world-building, character development and her ability to make new and exciting stories about the established tropes of fantastic literature mean that her "lite" is many another author's full-fat.

Some of the complaints I've read about the series are laughable - some reviewers were even complaining about the lack of description of the sex in the books! Personally I usually find literary sex ridiculous and excruciating, to the extent that for me the best example of literary sex is Radclyffe Hall's in the Well of Loneliness ("and that night, they were not divided"). I have a bookish god-daughter who reads at an adult level, so books like these are perfect for her, too.

I think the word "teal" only appears once in this book, which will be a relief to some earlier reviewers who had little interest in what Nola was wearing...

Love on the Run is well-paced, vivid and enjoyable. I read it straight through in an evening. I had to, because I wanted to know what happened. I love the combination of exciting plot, family drama and Nola's angst.

I can't wait for the next one!

I have only the vaguest idea how fantasy is categorized these days as it's all either "Kit" or "Not-Kit" to me after twenty years in Deverry, but I imagine this will appeal to fans of "urban fantasy" and I think that those teenagers who like those silly vampire books should give Nola O'Grady a whirl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry says, 7 Jun 2014
T. R. Shoebridge "Terry" (Tonbridge Kent UK) - See all my reviews
I would thoroughly recomend this excellent series to anyone interested in fantasy fiction featuring a brilliant heroine operating in a very interesting alternate reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 19 Mar 2013
i love katherine kerr and this series is just as good as the Deverry series and will hopefully be as long!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4th Nola O'Grady story, 16 Mar 2013
These books are an enjoyable read, mainly because the chief characters are so sympathetic but the story line doesn't live up to the Deverry series. The main theme of parallel deviant worlds is interesting but psychic squid? Only real grouse is the ghastly word 'gotten'. What happened to good old 'got'?

Love on the Run (Daw Book Collectors)
Love on the Run (Daw Book Collectors) by Katharine Kerr (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Aug 2012)
4.75