5.0 out of 5 stars Review from The Word Fiend
My Life As A White Trash Zombie is zombielicious! Both entertaining and funny Diana Rowland may have converted me to the zombie cause!

Bear with me while I gush about this fantastic cover - it really is one of the best I have seen this year and reflects the humour of the book beautifully. Angel's haircut, piercings and the cigarette loosely held between her...
Published on 23 Aug. 2011 by Shelagh

3.0 out of 5 stars A little simplistic but still great fun
I always love something a little different and this book by Diana has certainly hit the spot with a new take on the Zombie as they get to stay not only normal if they get their fix but function like an everyday human but with a whole new set of problems to combat. Back this up with a great twist on a crime story (if a little simplistic) and all round it more than hit the...
Published 9 months ago by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought it would flow a little easier, but ..., 3 April 2015
I thought it would flow a little easier, but overall it was an interesting decent zombie story, although at some points it did feel a bit long.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Take on Z, 26 Oct. 2014
The Story

Angel is a self-proclaimed loser and white trash. Living at home with her dad is only the beginning of her woes, as she's in her mid twenties, can't hold a job and has a problem with pills. She not bothered though. She used to want ,ore out of life, but came to the conclusion that some people just aren't that lucky. After dropping out of high school and going to jail for a car deal that was too sweet to be real, she knows she's one of those unlucky people. Then she wakes up in a hospital, an apparent drug overdose, following a night out drinking. She was found naked on the side of the road and barely escaped death.

Yeah, Angel was a loser. She was white trash.

Now Angel has a new chance at life. Maybe she can keep a job, get straight and have the house she always dreamed of. Okay, maybe it involves working at a morgue, but she seems to have a knack for the job. There's only one catch…

Angel has a huge craving for brains…good thing her patients don't seem to need them anymore.

Angel Crawford’s life is about to change in more ways than one. She struggles to take on a new perspective and come to terms with her past and future, most importantly her lack of pulse and the strange notes she keeps receiving. Can she live the life of a brain-craving zombie and not turn into a monster.

My Thoughts

I enjoyed every moment of this book. The first thing I noticed was that this was not your average zombie story. Instead of the typical ' ah, zombies are taking over and eating us, we have to survive' we are given a story where zombies are a minority. They have been changed, and now they are trying to remain as hidden as possible. As long as they have their fill of brains every couple of days, they remain as warm and lively as you or me. Most of them find jobs where they brains are easy to come by, such as Angel's new job at the morgue. This means they have no need to hurt anyone to stay whole and healthy, they just use the brains from those who won't need them anymore. There's even a market for them, where one of the local zombies sells those he doesn't keep for himself.

I love that the story has a completely different perspective from the typical zombie read. I love zombie stories, and this one has really got me hooked. I like reading about Angel's life and her struggles to try and remain 'normal.' She has to go through life finding out who she is, just like we humans do. She needs to learn to understand herself, her limits and what she needs to survive.

I also like that the story isn't just about that. It also has lessons about finding yourself in general, it tells you about Angel's discovery that she can make more of herself (and that lack of money isn't the only reason to turn to drugs, drink and give up on life.). Finally, you learn about Angel's love life, or lack there of, and how she comes to terms with the fact that she deserves someone good for herself as well.

The story does have a great tale of rags to riches, though Angel doesn't get rich in money, she does learn that there are other forms of rich. She starts to stand up for herself, becomes strong and gets herself out of her self-proclaimed state of white-trash.

I love the characters in the book, as each has a deep, meaningful personality. Each character sticks to the personality they have been given, and they really do feel real, not all alive, but real.

The details, both of characters and in the storyline, are brilliant. There are enough details that you know and trust everything is happening, but to enough are given to actually ruin any of the surprises that are to come.

The pace of the story is perfection. It moves swiftly, keeping your attention held, and gives you snippets of details about the brain-eating issue throughout. However, it doesn't move so fast that you aren't able to get into the story. It is just right.

OVERALL: I really enjoyed every second of this book. It was engaging, interesting and had great side lessons/stories. I know there are two more books at the moment, in the series, and I cannot wait to have a go at them. I want to know what happens to Angel and her friends next. She has so much more to learn, do, achieve and I cannot wait to see what happens. After the ending, I was left on the edge of my seat, excited and happy for Angel, but also worried and wondering where they will go from here. I would highly recommend this books to anyone age 14 and above. It does have gory details, but nothing that couldn't be handled or expected in those ages. It really is a read that you shouldn't pass up, especially if you are a zombie fan. I've never read a book like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombies can be so cool, 10 July 2011
This review is from: My Life as a White Trash Zombie (Mass Market Paperback)
Angel Crawford is what other people like to call an loser or white trash. She has no high school diploma, works only minimum wage jobs, has a crimial record, takes drugs to feel better and lives with her alcoholic father. She has no idea that a night out that ends in the hospital with a supposed overdose will change her whole life.
All of a sudden she has a new job and a weird craving for brains. Angel doesn't remember much about the night when she was found on the side of a street, but she soon realizes that something weird happened that may have changed who or rather what she is.
Will Angel learn to live like a zombie and will she use the chance for a better life?

When I first saw the cover of "My life as a white trash zombie" I nearly screamed because of how amazing it looks. Then I read the synopsis of the book and was even more excited and anxious to read it. I think zombies are cool in a weird way and I have no trouble with reading about brains, so I thought that this book could be perfect for me. And it really was.

From the first sentences on I felt a good connection to the story and Angel. I enjoyed reading about her life and liked her from the get-go. Sure, at first glance she is not the kind of heroine I normally enjoy reading about, however while reading the book I soon realized that Angel is a fascinating character and that I wanted to learn more about her. Her humour and way with words were hilarious and made me laugh a lot.

I loved how Angel changed her life and her attitude throughout the book. It was great to see that she finally started to believe that she deserves a good life. The zombie thing was fascinating and at least for me never gross. The brain eating didn't bother me at all because Angel didn't hurt anyone to get her meals. Learning more about what it means to be a zombie was very interesting.

One of my highlights was Angel's new job at the county morgue and the friendships she developed with her co-workers. All the little details about the morgue and the work there were fascinating for me. And it was so sweet to see how the new friendships gave Angel more confidence and happiness.

Some developments towards the end of the book were a suprise for me (the crime investigation) and others I expected (Angel's new relationship). The new man in Angel's life is definitely a good one and I'm excited to read more about them. I'm happy that this is only the start into a new series because I want more of Angel, her new world and friends.

cover
OMG, the cover is amazing and perfect. It is the reason why I bought this book. Daniel Dos Santos is a genius!

final appraisal
"My life as a white trash zombie" is the perfect choice when you are looking for a very entertaining story with an unique (and brain eating) heroine. I loved everything about the story and characters. I would recommend this book to all readers who think zombies are weird but also cool & fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Nov. 2014
This review is from: My Life as a White Trash Zombie (Mass Market Paperback)
Amazing book; an incredible heroine, comedic, serious, gory and all round amazing writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars poor ending, 24 Aug. 2011
This review is from: My Life as a White Trash Zombie (Mass Market Paperback)
Im a big fan of her other series so I had very high hopes for this book. The premise is quite ununsual and the main character is interesting, well-written and likeable. The story line is also fairly engrossing. However, its highly predictable, it never gets really exciting and the ending feels rushed and bland. Stick to her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Dec. 2014
loved it, great little tongue in cheek novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Trashy & loveable, 9 Aug. 2013
Awesome, awesome, awesome!
Angel was such a totally different character from what you normally read about and absolutely made this book

Her life's s***, and she doesn't give a s***. She's white trash and embraces the fact, all until she wakes up in hospital.
Things go from strange to stranger in a heart beat, and with a new (albeit creepy) job, she begins to get a new outlook on life. Maybe this is her second chance? Well yes, it is. But not in any way that she thought possible.

With a weird new craving, and strange new friendships blossoming all around her, Angel begins to see herself as more than just the white trash she always thought she was, and begins to take control of her life once and for all.
Unfortunately, it took her being turned into a zombie for her to want more from life than just a couple of pills and a good time.

Angel was endearing, her father was heartbreaking, and the rest of the characters I wanted to rip out of the page and give a huge hug to for giving her a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying Story with Captivating Characters, 12 Oct. 2013
'My Life as a White Trash Zombie' is the story of Angel Crawford, a troubled young woman in serious need of a wake-up call. After she's been in an accident and starts to realise she's not quite the same as she was, she is forced to make some lifestyle changes which make her examine her old ways and face up to some hard truths.

The book starts out kind of slow as Angel adapts to her new job and starts to wonder what exactly happened to her. I usually prefer something faster paced but the pace this starts off with was perfect for the story and I was quickly captivated by Angel's character and her problems. Rowland's take on zombies is interesting but it was the characters that really kept me hooked.

This is a satisfying urban fantasy story and the first of a series I'm keen to read more of. The ending made sense and tied up the questions raised at the beginning. I already bought the second book and will be reading it soon. Highly recommended for fans of urban fantasy!

My Life as a White Trash Zombie
My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland (Mass Market Paperback - 5 July 2011)