5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable as ever, 24 Jun. 2011
Michael Finn (Blackburn, Lancashire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deceiver (Foreigner Novels) (Hardcover)
Writing a review for the 11th book of a beloved series, nearly two decades in the reading is probably not the most useful thing I could be doing with my time. If you've got to book 10 I doubt you are going to need much prodding from me to pick this one up. But I love this series too much not to want to just tuck the book away and move on without getting a few words about it out of my system. The politics is thick in this one. There's always quite a bit but this one seemed to have more than usual. I'm not much of a political animal so I'm glad Bren, our trusty paidhi, is on hand to keep track of the situation. Like the previous book, instead of the single Bren point of view we also get to see the world from the perspective of the precocious Atevi lordling Cajeiri. He's having a spot of bother with his new bodyguards who are showing no signs of forming manchi with him, that unquantifiable (at least on human terms) Atevi instinct that causes members of their race to form attachments. To their cost humans have confused manchi with the Human understanding of love or friendship, neither of which have any Atevi equivalent. Inter-species linguistic confusions caused the Atevi-Human war not long after the Humans first arrived. Peaceful co-existence was deemed too unstable and prone to further misunderstanding and the human survivors were ceded an island kingdom and a permanent separation from Atevi interaction. With one exception. Bren Cameron. He is the paidhi. A diplomat charged with interpreting all Human-Atevi contact. Things have moved on quite a lot since those early days and Bren is now paidhi-aiji. He's basically gone native, and become so valued by the Atevi high-muck-a-muck's he's been granted his own lordship, land and the loyalty of his own Atevi aishid (currently four Atevi bodyguards). Great characters, thorough world building, Cherryh's brilliant style of prose and restricted point of views make for fascinating and beguiling sci-fi. If you haven't tried a Foreigner book yet, do yourself a favour and go hunt out book one.

5.0 out of 5 stars CJC just gets better, 23 Aug. 2011
What can one say about the Foreigner series? It never seems to end, but somehow you're almost never left completely up in the air unlike 'true' series like the WoT: unusually this one does end in a clear 'to be continued' note. As other reviewers have written, it's very much a 2-voice (more so than Conspirator (its predecessor) from Bren's & Cajeiri's POVs. The way Cherryh manages to evoke the latter's 'alienness', yet enabling the reader to understand him is simply wonderful. After reading Deceiver through (in one night), I went back and read ALL the series - I'm champing for the final in this trilogy now.

Cherryh is simply a GOOD writer, she grabs the reader by the scruff of the neck and never lets go & her English style is truly fluid)

5.0 out of 5 stars Jealous reviewer?, 29 May 2011
Deceiver starts only a day or two after the end of the previous book, Deliverer, but I almost didn't buy Deceiver. Why? Because the synopsis of the story on the back of the book is almost exactly the same as the synopsis of Deliverer and I thought that it was the same book. Why would the publishers do this? Was the writer of the synopsis just lazy, or were the publishers jealous of Cherryh's success?

In Deceiver, Lord Geigi comes down from the Space Station to put his estates in order and Cajieri is beginning to grow up and develop ateivi feelings, which, understandably, confuses everybody, including himself. Bren Cameron, as ususal, is in the thick of things and brother Toby (along with Barb, who seems to be at her best when Bren isn't around) gets involved, it still being too dangerous for them to sail back to the Terran enclave.

The action is told from two points of view, Bren's and Cajeiri's and the story ends on a cliff-hanger: still, I'll wait for the paperback version of Betrayer to arrive - hardbacks take up too much room!

5.0 out of 5 stars Deceiver, 26 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Deceiver (Foreigner Novels) (Hardcover)
I must confess to being biased in favour of this author and the 'Foreigner' series of books of which this is just the latest instalment.

Some of the the things I like - such as the tight focus on characterisation of individuals and their motivations I am sure would irritate some other people. I do suspect that someone reading this without reading some or all of the preceding books would miss out on the development of some of the characters

I would like to recommend the whole series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Tale of racial interactions, 24 Dec. 2011
An excellent book, a part of an excellent series which I am now re-reading for the third time whilst waiting on the next volume.
Each time I read this series I get more from it beyond the initial (superficial) pleasure I get from the initial romp through.

Buy it, buy the entire series or pester your local library

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from CJ, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Deceiver (Foreigner Novels) (Hardcover)
I have just recieved this new book in the Foreigner series and read it through at one sitting.
I will now go back and read it again to properly appreciate it.
CJ is one of the few authors who always captivates me and she is a masterly story teller. I strongly recommend this series and this book. Anyone new to the author should try one of her books but beware - you are very likely to become hooked. You could start anywhere but probably best would be the opening book (Foreigner) of this series. Very few of her books are available electronically but you could try the authors web site where she has some earlier books on sale directly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous sequence of books!, 22 Jan. 2011
Hydra (Kington, Herefordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deceiver (Foreigner Novels) (Hardcover)
This author does it, time and time again. The worlds she creates are perhaps the best of any SF author's writing today. The characterization is superb, the stories tight, complex and meticulously written, with attention to detail. I will read her Foreigner books again and again - there is just so much detail in them that one finds new things every time one reads them. (The same goes for the Union-Alliance books, with Alliance being by far my favourite of the two environments.)

Bren and his aishid are wonderful characters, as are the Dowager, Tabini and Caijeri. I'm looking forward to how things are resolved with the Kyo - perhaps Bren and his company will soon move off planet to the space station again? (Explorer was an absolutely brilliant book.)

May this sequence carry on and on, though please, no more Barb, especially, and Toby we can also do with much less of - they are irrelevant and totally uninteresting, interfering with the flow of the story. I prefer to read about Bren's relationship with alien characters and situations, and the constant leaving and returning of Toby and Barb are extremely tiresome. The books also seem to be getting lighter and thinner. For myself, I prefer a longer and more complex work.

I'm glad to see the jacket design for this book (as well as Conspirator) has improved a lot compared with the very poor jackets for Pretender and Deceiver. It is hard to understand why the publisher cannot keep up a consistently good quality after finding a decent look, as for this book - the jacket design does have an influence on the sales of books, particularly hardbacks, which people tend to collect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem in the Foreigner universe, 15 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Deceiver (Foreigner Novels) (Hardcover)
Cherryh just keeps getting better - and the more I learn about the Foreigner universe and its characters, the more I want to know! The detail she puts into each book is amazing. You really get into the world she's created, and this is one of the best series I've ever read. Every time I read about Bren, Jago, Banichi, Tabini et al, I just want it to be real and keep on going - though I have to admit my favourite character is the redoubtable Ilisidi, and I'm really glad that she plays such a major role in the book.

But don't just read the reviews, get out and buy the book - you won't be disappointed! Except when you reach the end and realise you've got to wait for the next one, that is...

5.0 out of 5 stars Deceiver, 10 July 2010
C. R. Narraway "C J Cherryh fan" (Dorset England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deceiver (Foreigner Novels) (Hardcover)
As always a great read. The Foreigner series is fantastic -- so full of insights into the human and alien psychology.
Am looking forward to the next instalment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deceiver, another Foreigner success, 7 May 2011
This review is from: Deceiver (Foreigner Novels) (Hardcover)
I am a little hard-pressed to explain why the Foreigner series by CJ Cheeryh is so enjoyable and why I look forward to each new release. The series is based upon an interesting idea and a believable world with aliens just different enough to be convincingly alien, but similar enough to humans to allow emotional contact. The protagonist, Bren is a charming fellow who consistently tries to do his best for the good of his own species and the alien Atevi. However, his heroics are modest and his successes are due to good teamwork. So, is the latest novel, different enough? Yes and no. Cheeryh brings in just enough novelty and sufficient pace to enable the reader to continue enjoying and being gripped by the story. If you don't like the book or the series, then simply read something else, for myself, I still enjoy the series.

Deceiver (Foreigner Novels)
Deceiver (Foreigner Novels) by C. J. Cherryh (Hardcover - 4 May 2010)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available