Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 15 November 2010
...but this was one was a bit too like that. I do find it hard to wholly accept crazy action plots unless the writer is extremely convincing, and Huff's plotting can sometimes feel like you're in a plot speedboat (you know the ones) skimming along the surface of the story at ridiculous speed.
Okay, I never made a speedboat analogy for plots before but I quite like it.
It's fun and charming, like all her writing, but I do keep wanting more depth in the characters.
Tony's romance with Lee was resolved, but unsatisfyingly. The slashy romantic in me wanted more pages devoted to it at the end, rather than the little bit it was allowed. Still, she knows how to tease the reader and I assume she'll be writing another one. If she does I'll be buying it because - light and crunchy plot!
Oh, and I love the TV production company setting a lot. All those details about the cheesy vampire detective show never fail to make me giggle.
on 26 December 2009
I read this series after I finished the Blood series and I loved them. Henry became a more 3D character, and the backstory was really interesting. The only complaint I had was that it felt like "putting down the last bite of doughnut and forgetting where I put it".When I finished reading this book I was left feeling incomplete. The story arc seems to have been left under-developed. So... great stories ,but there should have been more.
on 2 February 2008
I read so much stuff set in the U.S. that reading something set elsewhere almost feels rare. Thanks to this author, I have Canada to read about...and in this case, Vancouver. It's a hotspot for television filming where wizard Tony Foster works on the set of Darkest Night, about a vampire detective. And it just so happens that a stuntwoman's tummy is marked with runes to keep a mega-demon named Ryne Cyratane away. I think. Okay, I found the plot confusing, but the novel is nonetheless a good time, with humour that's actually funny (which is more than I can say for some of the authors I've had the misfortune of reading). I'd read the first book in this trilogy beforehand, but the second doesn't seem available in my neck of the woods. And I still haven't got my hands on the author's Vicki Nelson books yet. I demand more readily available Canadian fiction!
on 9 August 2008
I really enjoyed this book. If you have read and enjoyed Tanya Huff's Blood series and are now looking for something else then read the Smoke trilogy. The stories lead on from the Blood books in that Henry is in them but they are mainly about Tony, the street kid who also features in the Blood series. This is defninatly the best of the 3 Smoke books but the others are good too and I would read them first so you get the charactor and relationship development. Tony is likable and believable. I found his internal dialogue often amusing and I empathised with him greatly. In fact I actually think enjoyed these more than the Blood series.
on 10 August 2008
There, made it to book 3 {more please, with a few res':) }. This as before has mostly been written as a near continuous moment to moment story which mean you miss little; great; which means you miss little; not so great; I still say read this unless you really have a problem with this. The god/bad thing about that is that the any big events & surprises are essentally drowned out in most cases with literally the level of detail crammed intoeach page which again I think a lot will like & some will be driven away from the book quite quickly.
Apart from our hero's developing abilities the charachters are all pretty static in development & his inability to realise that he's not here to solve each & every problem that happen ever, ANNOYED me the most.If he & a few others were real I'd of slapped them about the back of the head as a wake up to it call long since by now. {Yep just like Gibbs would in TV's NCIS to his own Tony!!} By the 3rd book I realised why I could not give these books each a full 5 star rating was these fault PLUS the hero spends ages standing around all day thinking to himself all the time with the others hanging about waitin for him to finish a thought a reduction would of meant a shorter book that would of been a good thing.
This & his angst attacks {typical poor me} stuff that was best used in the first of this 3 book story hung heavy by the end. Cause some one out there will like all of this, so I can say is give it a go. I'm glad I've read them all now, ihope sense prevails & more of these & the other linked book series do come along with the characters more developed like they had been in the Vicki Nelson books they'ed appeared in.