4.0 out of 5 stars DELIGHTFUL SHORT STORIES
Penny Vincenzi was one of the first ever novelists to have her books
advertised on public transport, back in the days when buses had bus
conductors with ticket machines which hung from their necks.

These days she could I am sure qualify for her bus pass if she wanted
one. These short stories journalism and a spoiler of her next novel
prove...
Published 21 months ago by Mrs. C. Swarfield

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment
I admit - I just looked up the author, saw the title of a new book coming out soon and pre-ordered it automatically. I have all Vincenzi's book, have loved them - until now. But unfortunately I did not check what this one was about, nor the length of it.

Published 21 months ago by Sissel M. Østdahl

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, 22 Mar 2013

A slim book arrived. 179 pages, of which 133 were short stories. The rest 46 were articles and interviews with the author.

The short stories were far from the quality of Vincenzi's novels. Very light, sort of on the surface, which never managed to get under my skin. The rest, personal stuff, was ok but I had not bought a book about the author's personal life and her viewpoints. I had wanted, and expected, one of her fat, fantastic treats of a novel. One of the usual highlights of my reading year. Being a faithful admirer and buyer of all her work, I felt cheated and could not keep wondering if this was an easy way to make money.

I still hope Vincenzi will write proper novels in future but I will be certain both to check the topic of the book and number of pages.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor value for money, 5 Mar 2013
The short stories are good but a lot of the book is an autobiography and that is not what I thought I was buying, poor value for money took just 2 hours to read cover to cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars DELIGHTFUL SHORT STORIES, 18 Mar 2013
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Penny Vincenzi was one of the first ever novelists to have her books
advertised on public transport, back in the days when buses had bus
conductors with ticket machines which hung from their necks.

These days she could I am sure qualify for her bus pass if she wanted
one. These short stories journalism and a spoiler of her next novel
prove that she has still got it.

Long term fans such as myself - I have read everything she has written -
realise that she has a rare ability and talent to identify the drama
behind the humdrum of everyday life. The anxious young mums, the
subtle challenges of being a grandmother, all the messed up marriages and
quiet disappointments of being an older womaon are all brought to life
with touching honesty in this brilliant little book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, 5 April 2013
A pleasant and unchallenging read. A book to relax with a pot of tea and feet up on sofa. Relaxing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite short, 20 Feb 2013
Whilst the short stories were vey good I felt short changed as there were not many of them. The book also contained some of Penny's journalistic articles and these I found boring. It would have been better to have more short stories. If you haven't bought this yet wait for it to come out in paperback when the kindle price should also reduce.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 24 Feb 2013
Janet (Colchester) - See all my reviews
I'm sorry to say that l was disappointed, with the short stories l felt that l was just getting in to the story and it finished, l have bought every book written by P.V in hard back as couldn't wait, but if you haven't bought this book l would wait for the paperback or library. L'm going to try an get my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love in The Afternoon, Penny Vincenzi, Short Stories, Articles, Marjorie Proops, Husbands, Wives, Grandmothers, Great Uncle, 12 Oct 2014
Penny Vincenzi is to be congratulated on Love in the Afteroon, a book of ten short storiies each one of which has a surprising twist in the tale. These small slices of fictional life are like delicious bons bons which leave one craving more. Each of them have believable plots and themes. The little boy who mourns his mother and stubbornly rejects the new love of his father’s life the grandmothers who know best, the sisters who fell out over their grandmother’s uniique brooch and others.

Added to the stories are equally enjoyable articles that give fascinating glimpses into Penny Vincenzi’s life.

An ideal book to dip into at bedtime.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I wanted, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights (Paperback)
Ordered, delivered, very pleased with this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 May 2014
I can't imagine anyone failing to appreciate the intelligent and delightful writing skills of this extremely gifted author. Every story in this wonderful series is an absolute joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love in the Afternoon is a good read on any afternoon, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights (Paperback)
I have several of this author's books in hardback. I did not know she also wrote short stories, but I was going on holiday and it seemed a good choice to take. I was right, it was lovely and I am glad I own it I can recommend to any reader who enjoys short stories..
These are all different, which is an added attraction

Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights
Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights by Penny Vincenzi (Paperback - 1 Aug 2013)