4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun.
Published 6 months ago by Sammee, I Want To Read That

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite enough to engage me
This book is set three years after Royal Street which was set in new Orleans at the time of Hurricane Katrina. In this second volume the city is recovering but nothing else has changed with all the characters at the same emotional development as they were at the end of the previous story. I think you could probably read this book as a stand alone novel as it doesn't hark...
Published 10 months ago by Anne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun., 20 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really enjoying this series and it was great to catch up with DJ and co. I liked that it was set a few years after the first book - it meant that the relationships had move forward more - and I have to say I am actually really enjoying the 3 love interests! Yes I do have my favorite (let's just say I know exactly who I'd like to play ball with...!) but I like the way DJ is conflicted - it makes the whole will they/ won't they thing a bit more interesting. Plus I really like all three.

This outing is much more action packed - I really enjoyed it - plus it was really funny in places too (the pink Gandalf thing? I was crying with laughter!) I also like the way they have both been self contained stories - they were resolved in the end but at the same time I was left wanting more and there were still unanswered questions (yes Rand I'm talking about you!)

Can't wait to read the next in the series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Second Instalment, 28 Jan 2014
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
OK after a worrying start with the first book, I was a little apprehensive at starting the second s after all, in any series its usually the second that’s the make or break, so preparing with a selection of reading supplies (comfy blanket, extra pillows and of course snackages) I picked up the title and turned the first page in apprehension.

For me, this book is far stronger than the original, the characters grow in not only strength but emotionally and when added to a whole new set of problems that only Louisiana can host (and it was wonderfully inventive) all round generated a story that had me turning the pages until I finished the title in the early hours of the morning (I say early hours, its dependent as to what time you call sun-up. LOL)

All round a book that I really enjoyed and one that left me demanding the third when I’d captured up on some sleep.

4.0 out of 5 stars A suitable successor to Sookie?, 3 May 2013
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There must be lots of readers out there wondering what they'll do when the Sookie Stackhouse series draws to a close. Where are we gonna get our Deep South spookynatural kicks from in future? Well, River Road is the second in a very promising series. It's not got the bite (sorry) of the True Blood mythology, but it's certainly heading in the right direction.

River Road is more focused than its predecessor, and wisely skips over a couple of years when trainee sentinel DJ moves from being a novice to rather more experienced Green Congress magician. The plot introduces a couple of novel paranormal species and a neat mix of myth/modern world interface. Suzanne Johnson is building a credible and comprehensive, multi-layered universe - at its heart we're following the investigation of a young female empath, but there's an awful lot of interest shuffling around the shadows.
The writing is easy going and accessible; the dialogue can be snappy and entertaining; the supporting cast make more sense this time around. DJ has stopped bickering with her partner and her immortal pirate beau - but inevitably encounters new threats. As with Ms Stackhouse, DJ kinda falls for every fella she meets and they all drool over her, so there's a definite leaning towards the romantic side of things in here. The action is also nicely flavoured with the atmosphere of New and Old Orleans and the backwaters of the Atchafalaya Basin. Jazz and beignets all round...

I would have liked to explore more about the aquatic characters and their life-styles and powers. That part felt a little thin; they were basically normal people who happen to go a bit finny. And indeed, it'd be nice if the supernatural folks in future episodes are made to feel *special*. The trouble with series like these is that after a while you tend to take loup garou and ghosts and voodoo children for granted. I hope Ms Johnson can retain a sense of awe and wonder as she builds her world and peoples it with interesting creations.
A satisfying read. You probably do need to start with the first in the series, Royal Street , to get the most from this episode.
8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars River Road to Hell, 18 Aug 2013
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Great continuation. That was my first thought when reading River Road, that it passed the book two test with flying colours. Building on the strong start of book one - Royal Street - River Road was all that and more. Using her established template, Johnson was able to now focus more on developing relationships and characterization to great effect. I loved it!

River Road also gave us a new supernatural species to explore - Mer people. I know! So cool!

Not being wizard's greatest fans (Oh, who am I kidding? Wizards don't have fans in this series!) having to work side-by-side with two warring Mer clans to solve a series of grisly murders would be a perilous venture for most people. DJ handles it with aplomb in her no nonsense, forthright manner that seems to garner respect, however begrudgingly, from everyone she meets. Using all resources available, she again proved to be the smart, competent protagonist I so enjoyed from book one, with the added bonus of using her new uber wizarding powers as provided by Charlie, her elven staff.

One thing to note for readers moving on from book one, is that there is a 3-year time jump from the end of Royal Street. I think I know why the author did this, and that it was a good idea, but it did of course create some instances of having to play catch up. Alex and DJ, for example, have gone from almost strangers to best friends. Only friends. I can't say that didn't disappoint me, but their friendship is so lovely I'm not too disheartened. And don't think I don't see that sizzle still burning in their eyes sometimes...

Just friends my eye.

Other progression on the romance front was interesting in its complex, this-can't-possibly-be-going-anywhere way. Jake is in a bad way after the the events at the end of RS, but he's still a good guy and clearly attracted to DJ. I feel for Jake I really do, I want to reach into the book and soothe him somehow. They say bad stuff happens to good people. It does and it sucks every time. Poor guy!

Jean Lafitte is another character that is transforming before my very eyes. I'm so confused about him. Should I like him this much? Is he a bad person that occasionally does good things, or a good person forced to do bad things to survive? He isn't of this era, so that affects his personality and I forgive him for his occasional trespasses into sexism, but other than that, I just kinda like him. As a pirate, you might want to dismiss him as an ignorant thief with no morals. But that's so far from the truth too. Stupid he ain't. I look forward to more of him in the next book.

The mystery and its conclusion were gripping and exciting and overall, this was just a great read. Solid writing, great character development and an engaging lead. What's not to like?

5 Stars ★★★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... And I'm out., 31 May 2013
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm in two minds when it comes to RIVER ROAD; I love the world settings, the mystery elements, anything to do with Jean, and the fact that the main characters interact with merpeople make a nice change from the usual vamps and werewolves.

RIVER ROAD is told from DJ's pov, but this time around we get a better look into the lives of some of the secondary characters, so they feel like actual players rather then cardboard cutouts. I had a problem with the pacing in the previous book too, but am pleased to say that RIVER ROAD does not suffer from the same problem - it hits the ground running and never looks back.

***

Sadly there is a but coming... Like in the previous book I dislike the time wasted that we spend on DJ's love life - especially since it's so messed up because of her own actions and in-actions. I want to read a urban fantasy, not some supernatural soap-opera, so became bored with her seemingly endless rambles over how hot Alex, Jake and Jean are..

I've got very little sympathy for DJ in the 'romance' subplot, because I'm a very right and wrong, treat-others-as-you-want-to-be-treated person - I just ended up frustrated at her thoughtlessness and blatant selfishness, as she encourages the men and sends out mixed signals, but sulks when they look at other women. So at times I came to almost dislike DJ.

***

The tired old multiple-love-interest angle both irritates and bores me, so I kept on finding myself somewhat distanced from the story. It's a shame as this series contains all of the ingredients to be something really special, but I failed to become fully immersed in the story.

As it stands I don't think that this is a series that I'm likely to stick with, even though this book is a lot stronger then the first one. This isn't down to the author's writing style though - it is just my personal reading preferences clash with the ongoing subplots.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent follow up, 1 Feb 2013
Beanie Luck Spud (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans 2) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this sequel.

Dj has an encounter with the very charming jean lafitte and Alex. Can't personally decide who I think she should be with.

We get introduced to mermen this time around because someone is poisoning the river and the clans blame each other and almost kill each other and dj is sent in to be peacekeeper and solve that and a few murders thrown in for good measure.

Oh and we see someone we thought we had seen the last of in the1 st book.

I really enjoyed this book, thought it was a good follow up.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Sentinels of New Orleans" book 2, 28 Nov 2012
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Set 3 years after the events in book 1 "Royal Street", Drusilla Jaco (aka DJ) is again neck deep in trouble when she is called in to hopefully halt a brewing war between 2 factious Mer clans who each claim the other is poisoning the water. DJ's investigation goes from bad to worse when out collecting water samples she stumbles across the body of a murdered wizard.

DJ is also juggling an increasing amount of men in her life; Alex the shape shifting Enforcer, his cousin Jake who was so abruptly thrust into the supernatural world in book 1 and dashing but dead pirate Jean Lafitte. These relationships are explored further and it'll be interesting to find out who DJ finally falls for considering the appeal of each of these men.

I thought book 1 set the scene well, contained some interesting ideas and introduced some intriguing characters, but I had problems with the overall pace. This certainly isn't the case with book 2; there is an attention grabbing twisting plot containing plenty of explosive action, plus DJ has further opportunities to explore her Elven magic whilst her research enlightens the reader to additional supernatural species. 4 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars a really good sequel, 17 April 2014
margesimpson "wifi" (sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
to get my teeth into. after reading the first book i had to have more. i love this kind of book and will be picking up the rest of the series. strong characters you can like and plots and intrigue you can get your teeth into. i have finished the morganville books and was looking for a new series interesting enough to take its place, this is it ,and the series can go anywhere, so hopefully there are many more to come

4.0 out of 5 stars SPELLBINDING FARE, 5 Jan 2014
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Three years after Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans sentinel Drusilla Jaco now has to deal with feuding mer clans. Exactly who or what is polluting water in their disputed territory?

It helps to have read "Royal Street", but is not essential. With self-deprecating wry humour, feisty Drusilla again narrates. Magic is her speciality, she often taking risks and the elvan wand (or whatever) occasionally hard to control. As ever, there is much banter with rugged co-sentinel Alex (who can shapeshift into a dog). Although supernatural matters dominate, Drusilla also agonizes over such mundane concerns as what to wear on a date. Such dates can involve undead pirate Jean Lafitte (he unashamedly lecherous), Alex's cousin Jake (able to morph into a loup-garou), Alex himself (when summoned by his Iron Lady mother).

This is enjoyable escapism, but with serious undercurrents. Movingly New Orleans still strives to put itself to rights. A disaster since inspired this second book: massive oil spill pollution of nearby marine life. Part of money raised by the novel goes towards a fund trying to restore normality.

Occasionally dragging its feet? Perhaps. There is nevertheless much to amuse and excite, Drusilla's further exploits eagerly awaited by her fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first one.., 15 Dec 2013
Me read (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Book two in the Sentinels of New Orleans series and I liked this one better than the first. Sometimes sequels don't live up to the promise in the first book but with this one I enjoyed it more.

Interesting story and DJ with her wizardy powers is back but in a welcome change from the usual Urban Fantasy read's we're introduced to the Mer=people. I don't think I've read a book with Mer-men and women before and these Mer clans add something a little different to most UF's.

The love triangle is still there, although it's more of a love square as there are so many possibilities for DJ and she can't seem to make her mind up. It frustrates me, I'll be honest. I really like Jean the pirate but the 'will she, won't she' thing with them all just gets under my skin.

It's well written and the worldbuilding makes me feel like I'm there with them all but I'm here for the mystery, thrills and paranomal adventure so I just wish the romance side of it was one thing or the other. I like my books to have romance but the partner indecision is wearing thin. The quicker DJ makes her mind up the better, if it drags on throughout the series I won't be keen to read much more into it.

Good story here though, I'd recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans 2)
River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans 2) by Suzanne Johnson (Paperback - 22 Nov 2012)
11.41