Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 August 2005
This is the no 1 holiday read!! I took this book with me to Spain to read on the beach and pass the time, I got so engrossed with Bella and her predicament that I was in serious danger of sunburn! I found myself caught up in the lives of the characters in this book, exasperted with Stevie, hurting for the lovely Laura and annoyed wtih the pompous Amelie. I cared who Bella ended up with! This is my first book by Adele Parks and I found the book amusing, witty and loved the style of the author, so much so that I have now ordered all her other books.
on 18 August 2005
One of those books you just can not put down, I read this within 3 days and I'm not usually one for reading books, more of a wait for the film sort of person but since I've read this book I want to read all her others. Also loved the style of writing she used, much different then anything I've read before, especially as the last book I read was 'Being Jordan'! haha
on 17 April 2012
I am a huge Adele Parks fan & yet this book took her talent to a whole new level for me. I became immersed in the journey which this book took me on, I related to the characters in such a way I had never experienced before. i laughed out loud, I bit my lip when they were nervous, I sobbed (not just cried) but proper sobbed. I highly recommend any of Adele Parks books but this book, if no other, is the one that stands the strongest for me... so far. :)
on 11 July 2005
Delightful book that has both the romantic as well as a funny side to it. Extremely enjoyable. I also recommend Fire In The Ice as well as Good In Bed as well. I have read them both. Excellent.
on 4 July 2005
I have read a couple of her other books as a typical 'holiday read' and I thought I would read this as I found the others really good and I wasn't disappointed. I felt that the characters were very realistic and I felt that I could really engage myself in the storyline. There are a lot of funny moments in the story and the humour is used in a very witty context. I read the whole book in two days (and that's with a full time job!) and I have recommended it to my friends. Even if you have never read any of Adele Parks books before - it's a savvy romance with a comic value. Excellent.
on 30 April 2007
Full of flawed but thoroughly likeable characters. I became totally involed in their complicated lives. When I finished the book I felt as if I'd just made some new friends on holiday and was really sad to think I'd never see them again. A great read, recommend it.
on 14 March 2009
This was my first experience of Adele Parks and I thoroughly enjoyed it when I read it....then I read it a second time and was disappointed.
I tried to like Laura, I really did and felt a little sorry for her, but her naivety and, at times, dullness, irritated me.

Laura goes on and on about how wonderful, kind, generous, funny and intelligent her 'friend' Bella is, but reading how they first met.....I wouldn't have made the effort to speak to the snob again.
Laura is particularly naive when it comes to Bella, who she describes as 'intelligent'. Being rich, reading and being able to throw lavish dinner parties does not make you intelligent!! The woman has no ambition to work and is kept by her husband while she floats about being 'posh'. Shallow doesn't cover her.

Bella is a selfish, boring, snobby, cowardly back-stabber, why did she bother marrying Philip??
The friend in the middle is Amelie, who we are told Bella feels pity for as she lost her husband Ben, apprently this makes Bella feel lucky to have Philip (funny way of showing it!)

Amelie is also irritating as she has no back bone and prefers to lurk in the background.
Stevie comes along, we are supposed to like him but how can you like a character who is so spineless and can't just tell Laura the truth from the start?? Te Elvis thing was also irksome!

To be honest I finished tis book because I wanted Bella and Stevie to be found out, and I was annoyed that Laura decided to speak to her again. You can enjoy this book but I felt annoyed all the way through it at the cowardly characters.
I recommend reading this for the simple fact that you will feel better about yourself afterwards.
on 4 November 2007
While I enjoyed Playing Away and Young Wives Tales (interestingly a follow-up on Playing Away), I did not like Husbands at all. In fact, I couldn't finish it. The premise was so contrived and completely implausible -- who would ever think they could get away with bigamy? The characters were shallow and left me cold - I couldn't care about them from one chapter to the next and was irritated rather than entertained. Adele needs a good plot to carry her books, but I did not find it here.
on 22 September 2014
Disappointing and daft storyline which tells an overlong story about bigamy and duplicitous behaviour . I am not sure why I finished it. Might work as a sleep aid.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 September 2008
I've only read one previous Parks novel (Game Over) which I really enjoyed, but found this one unconvincing, contrived and sometimes really quite unpleasant.

Others have talked about the plot-line so I won't repeat that, but the story revolves huge coincidences that just made me resent the way I was being manipulated as a reader.

On top of that the characters were not clearly delineated, with the women in particular oscillating between being victims and 'strong' (far too many characters in the novel also describe each other as 'strong'). At heart Bella utterly failed to convince: she's supposed to be a bigamist but only a kind of accidental one; she's supposed to be lovely and loving only she flaunts her husband's money in very unpleasant ways; she's supposed to be intelligent and yet she's spent eight years post-university doing absolutely nothing with her life till she meets a rich, older man and marries him (for love, of course!)

I'm sure devoted Parks readers will lap this up but as someone who doesn't necessarily fit that category I was left a little irritated by the book. Overall it's an entertaining commute or holiday read but lacked the wit, energy and emotional drive of Game Over.