5.0 out of 5 stars This Is What Happy Looks Like
My daughter found a clipping of this book in one of her magazines and put it on her christmas list. My daughter enjoyed reading this novel.
Published 5 months ago by ireadnovels

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute
Published 4 months ago by Milka Väinämö

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, 7 April 2014
This review is from: This Is What Happy Looks Like (Paperback)
A couple of months ago Jennifer E.Smith made me laugh and maybe ever shed a couple of tears over her very sweet and cute novel The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight in which boy and a girl meet at an airport and form a connection that turns from a friendly chatter to something more. When I came across This is What Happy Looks Like with its cute cover and very romantic sounding synopsis, I knew it was exactly what I needed to get my mind away from the abundance of university work stressing me out.

Ellie is a small town girl from Maine with a secret past she cannot tell anyone about in order to protect herself and her mother. Graham Larkin is a Hollywood film star who underneath all his glamour feels like he does not fit in and rather spends time with his pet pig than in glitzy parties filled with other celebrities. These two individuals from totally different worlds form an email relationship in which they talk about their dreams, lives and problems without even knowing each others names. When Graham's new film travels for a shoot in Maine, Graham looks for her mysterious pen pal and soon realizes that the not everything works like in movies.

Likable female protagonist? Check. Cute and charming, down to earth film star? Check. Secrets, romance and self discovery? Check. Some could call Smith's book cheesy and predictable, and yes, maybe it is both to some extent. But hey, what did you expect in the first place? This is What Happy Looks Like is sweet, romantic, occasionally funny; so exactly what the premise promises. Ellie is real and honest and not blind to Graham's fame. Graham is charming, impulsive and clearly a bit lost. When they meet, Ellie realizes Graham is nothing like she expected, but as she gets to know him better, she realizes that the guy she has been emailing with is underneath the flashing lights and magazines covers, just looking for the girl he has fallen in love with even before meeting her.

If you are looking for something that will take your worries away and make you gush for young love, look no further. This is What Happy Looks Like is just what you will need.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is What Happy Looks Like, 29 Mar 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars A fluffy and heart warming contemporary, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: This Is What Happy Looks Like (Paperback)
This is What Happy Looks Like is a light and fluffy YA contemporary romance that is ready to sweep many off their feet. The unique plot and entertaining characters make this book intriguing and definitely worth a read if you're looking for a light-hearted contemporary read.

I loved the idea that a girl and a boy meet by an accidental email and he turns out to be a famous teen actor... It's just such a good idea. There's next to no chance that would ever happen, but this book makes it seem possible!

Graham is a famous movie star who jumps at the chance to go to the hometown of the girl he's been talking by email to shoot a movie. While Ellie is a quiet girl who's mother wants her to stay out of the spotlight at all costs. However the two end up falling for each other anyway but they have no idea what obstacles await them.

I enjoyed the well-thought out plot and the twists and surprises the author throws at us! The elements of celebrities also made it a lot more interesting. It was hard not to love Graham and Ellie, who are just two teenagers wanting a normal relationship.

After falling hard for The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, I knew that I had to read more from Smith. It had everything I was looking for: a cute summer romance, a heart-warming plot and down-to-earth characters. I can't wait to see what unique story Jennifer Smith will think up next.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute novel with a bit too much fluff and not much substance, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: This Is What Happy Looks Like (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to reading this book but unfortunately, it didn’t quite live up to the hype. I’m not saying I didn’t like this novel, but there were lots of things that irritated me about it, and I felt like there was something missing from it overall. So many things were left open at the end but there are no plans for a sequel, as far as I’m aware.

I really enjoyed the premise: girl receives anonymous email from boy, they hit it off, he turns out to be a movie star and falls madly in love with this ordinary girl. However, there was some definite instalove going on here. We didn’t get to read many of the emails, which is a bit of a shame, and there wasn’t much development of the relationship throughout the novel (not least because they spent a large chunk of it not talking to one another) so I didn’t really feel it.

Then, the ending came all of a sudden and there was no resolution to any of the plot points, including Ellie’s relationship with Graham and her relationship with her father. It felt like a great big chunk had fallen out of the book leaving loads of questions unanswered and therefore leaving me feeling kinda disappointed.

In a way, it almost seemed like a bit of a lazy, rushed novel, actually. Unfortunately that makes it a novel I’m likely to forget quite quickly.

If you’re looking for a light read to take on holiday and read within a day, This Is What Happy Looks Like is an ideal candidate, though don’t expect anything amazing. It was simply good. Not great, and not awful, but somewhere in between.

I’m not giving up on Jennifer E. Smith as an author just yet. I’m looking forward to reading her other novels and I get the feeling that I’ll enjoy them more than this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ideal Feel Good Book, 30 May 2014
This review is from: This Is What Happy Looks Like (Paperback)
Thank you to BookBridgr for kindly sending me a review copy.

I’m pretty annoyed with myself in all honesty. This is my second Jen E. Smith book. Where have I been? Under a rock? I’m discovering all these fantastic YA authors recently and Jen is by far, my favourite.

This book just goes to prove that love can be found in any way possible. If you received an email from someone unknown, would you strike up a conversation with them about a pig? I know I wouldn’t. I’d file them under weirdo and never speak to them about. But not Ellie. She gives everyone a chance because of her incredible heart.

With Jen’s characters, I’m never disappointed. They’re all good hearted people who see the best in everything. At times, yes, I found it to be a little bit unrealistic because everyone does have their bad days but she shows that in this book. She shows how fame can easily affect some and how others have a permanent off switch.

With the delicious surroundings, I felt at ease in Jen’s fictional world. It’s the perfect feel good book. Now, you’ll have to excuse me while I head to Amazon to order her other books…

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Young Adult Novel, 15 Dec 2013
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: This Is What Happy Looks Like (Paperback)
It's not often that I wish I were a teenager again, but when I read novels like this, I feel a pang of jealousy towards today's young adult readers. There just didn't seem to be the quality of literature around when I was a teen - I seem to remember making a massive leap from traditional children's books straight to the adult market - there was little in between. Today's young people have such a wealth of choice, how lucky they are.

This Is What Happy Looks Like is a clever and unusual novel. When Ellie receives an email by mistake and replies, she never imagines that this will be the start of a new friendship. She, and the person known only to her as 'G' start up an online relationship, sharing their day-to-day lives, and also their secrets. Only they don't share every single secret. Both of them have something huge, something that defines them, and something that they both choose to keep to themselves. Theirs is an innocent friendship.

When eventually Ellie and Graham meet, it is Ellie that gets the biggest shock. Graham cannot hide who he is once he is no longer protected by the virtual barrier that they have created, whereas Ellie can continue to keep her secret to herself. This gives Ellie the upper hand, and whilst she is attracted to Graham, she knows that a relationship with him will bring more heartache - not just to her, but to her beloved Mother too. The Mother who has worked hard to create their happy life in 'middle-of-nowhere' Maine.

This is a beautifully written traditional love story which has been given a modern contemporary twist. It is relevant to today's young people, it looks at life in the media spotlight, and how being famous doesn't always mean being happy.

A story that centres on authentic characters with a plot that could easily have become twee and overly sweet, but instead is very modern and the characters are very likeable. This is a quick, easy read that I enjoyed very much, and would heartily recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm & Fuzzy, 6 Dec 2013
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: This Is What Happy Looks Like (Paperback)
My love of Jennifer E Smith is official, her writing provides warm and fuzzy feelings that stay with you whenever you think about her books. I read This is What Happy Looks Like in April this year and am only just getting my head into the review. The characters mean so much to me that it's often difficult to articulate the depth of emotion conveyed within the narrative.

As you are already aware, I adore the idea of fate, destiny and soul-mates; Jennifer never fails to amaze me at the way in which she ties together the plot with the use of fate and destiny. A simple thing like a single misplaced letter in an email address can alter your life and connect you to your soul-mate *bliss for the romantic soul*. The romance within the story is combined with beautiful world building and fantastic character development, This is What Happy Looks Like provides the whole package. I honestly didn't want the story to end, I still would love a sequel in order to immerse myself back into the little town of Henley.

While Graham and Ellie have very different lifestyles, the superficial gives way to the emotional connecting them at a fundemental level. Glimpses into all aspects of their lives ensure a deep connection to the characters, both Ellie and Graham as well as their friends and family.

Although relationships require work the underlying emphasis on honesty in all aspects adds depth to the story. Secrets cause strain on the healthiest relationship.

Now I need everyone to go read this book and then beg Jennifer for a sequel; while I wait in eager anticipation for Jennifers next book, The Geography of You and Me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing... A real cliffhanger, 23 July 2014
M. Stack "Mummy" (Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is What Happy Looks Like (Paperback)
My reluctant reader, age 12, finished This Is What Happy Looks Like -- 400+ pages -- in four days. What a huge success. She says, "Amazing... A real cliffhanger."

3.0 out of 5 stars The pages are very thin and almost see through, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: This Is What Happy Looks Like (Paperback)
I chose this rating because I thought the book would be better quality than it was but it was still good .

This Is What Happy Looks Like
This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith (Paperback - 24 Oct 2013)