4.0 out of 5 stars Thats more like it....
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Do not start with this one
Published 8 months ago by Anne

3.0 out of 5 stars Do not start with this one, 10 Nov 2013
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Watch Your Back (Kindle Edition)
I've read all Karen Rose's previous novels and am sure that I would have completely floundered with this one if I hadn't had some background. As it is some considerable time since I have read any of them I still got a bit lost in the backstory about Stevie's ex-partner and what had happened when Stevie was injured and Clay saved her life. The author did fill you in about this but she was also filling you in about events which happened eight years ago so there were times when there was so much information thrown at you about what had happened in the past that the book actually dragged a bit. The other issue was with the myriad of characters. I liked the fact that the author realises how many people are needed to investigate something like this but all the characters reappear from previous novels (with the exception of Emma who I liked a lot) and to be truthful, I'd forgotten who some of them were and what their story was and how they connected to Stevie and Clay. I am sure that if I'd recently reread her previous few novels I would have enjoyed this book a lot more (and I intend to do so and then reread this book) but I am convinced that a new reader should not start here.

I liked the characters of Stevie and Clay a lot. I was pleased that Stevie's injury really affected what she could do and was treated seriously. I liked the fact that we saw the story from various points of view including the bad guys but also Sam and Ruby's story - I would have liked to spend more time with this couple and their investigation. The author played some games with the reader when describing the killers - I had spotted it because I have seen other authors do the same, but it was clever.

I thought that the book dragged a bit, not just because of the amount of backstory which you needed to be fed but also because a lot of the story was repetitive - the bad guys planned something, the event happened and then the good guys had to work out what had happened and the baddies reflected on it. I thought that the book could have been stripped of a few characters and a lot of plot and have benefitted from it. I also had some doubts about how cosy all the characters, from various law enforcement and security agencies, were about sharing information and taking civilians to crime scenes - I was not sure how realistic it was.

If you've read Karen Rose's previous novels (especially recently) then you will enjoy this book, although you might wish for it to be shorter and sharper. If you aren't already a fan then I do encourage you to read some of her earlier output, most of which stands alone better than this does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thats more like it...., 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Watch Your Back (Kindle Edition)
I have read all of KR books but the last couple of them haven't impressed me too much. This book is more like her earlier ones. I really liked it. I do agree with the other reader that there are far too many characters in this book. There are four bad guys at least and don't even get me started on the good guys and their children and their parents and their pets well you get the picture. If you can sift through all the details that are repeated over and over again you actually get a really good plot. And that's why I liked it. Also I'm so glad clay got his happy ever after. I wonder who the next book will be about?????

4.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Convaluted, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Watch Your Back (Kindle Edition)
This was a good read but I spent a lot of time trying to remember the characters from her other novels. You are better off trying to ignore the peripheral characters as if they hadnt already appeared in her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Thriller, 9 Nov 2013
ACB (swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Watch Your Back (Kindle Edition)
Karen Rose has written another elaborate brick of a thriller at 592 pages long. The patient development of characters and plot are a necessary foundation that leads to a climactic finale. Most of the action is packed into a frenetic 48 hour period. This story focuses on Detective Stevie Mazzetti and Private Investigator Clayton (Clay) Maynard, involving their personal and professional quests. Stevie's husband, attorney Paul, and son Paulie were murdered eight years ago. She has a daughter, Cordelia, aged 7. Her ex-partner Silas Dundridge was a dirty cop mixed up with Lippman, a bent lawyer. Stevie is looking into old cases they were involved in. She is on the verge of exposing a ruthless, powerful public figure and businessman, Todd Robinette (Robbie). He is in control of a handful of trusted and loyal associates. He has reasons to eliminate Stevie. She narrowly survives several attempts on her life. Innocent bystanders are killed. Clay has recently saved Stevie's life and although they have a longstanding mutual attraction they are wary of any commitment. As they become closer, much is revealed of their past lives and relationships that explain this reluctance. As the threats on Stevie and Cordelia become more intense, Clay takes drastic action to protect them including using his step-father's extraordinary stronghold on the coast as a safe house.

Karen Rose has constructed an intricate web of action-packed intrigue. Several plot lines run throughout that are pulled together to complete a dramatic and enthralling story. Characters from previous novels by the author are involved but this can be read as a stand alone book. The characters are well-developed with the relationship between the two protagonists particularly intense and passionate! Emma, Stevie's psychologist and friend, is prominent as are Clay's team and the FBI agents who have a mole amongst them. Cordelia is an absolute joy and totally engaging. Robbie and his associates are loathsome, greedy individuals who ensure the pace of the narrative never drops as the body count rises and the battle of wits and conspiracy become more intensive and hazardous. This is a complex novel involving a host of strong and pertinent characters written with an ease by the author that seems effortless as the intricate factions are gradually unravelled. A couple of unexpected twists add to the suspense and excitement of a thoroughly enjoyable, well-written book.

3.0 out of 5 stars not one of her best, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Watch Your Back (Kindle Edition)
i've read alot of karen rose and i was expecting another really good book.unfortunately this one lacked something...the story was ok but nothing gripping like alot of her previous ones and it had the usual romantic story running through it.
sadly just average reading this time

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Watch Your Back (Kindle Edition)
I've read quite a few karen Rose books and wasn't disappointed with this one. but, you might get a bit lost on the characters if you haven't read either 'No one left to tell' or 'You belong to me'.

I read this book in record time and really loved the crime, thriller and love stories that ran through it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch your back., 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Watch Your Back (Hardcover)
Just couldn't get into the book; I found it heavy going and drawn out. Same old thing. Have enjoyed Karen's books in the past but I think it is time for a change. They are getting boring.

3.0 out of 5 stars WATCH YOUR BACK, 26 Jan 2014
Amanda "sac" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Watch Your Back (Kindle Edition)
Detective Stevie Mazzetti finds herself and her daughter in great danger when it transpires that someone from her past has a score to settle. It appears a psychopath is after her and Clay Maynard an old friend and ex Marine puts himself in charge of protecting Stevie, a woman he has loved for many years.
A good storyline but the author's previous books need to be read and remembered, although Karen Rose does backtrack and remind the reader of the history of the characters it can still be a little confusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars watch your back, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Watch Your Back (Kindle Edition)
Love it!! Wana read it again!! Fast paced and a happy ending. What more could you hope for!!! Woop woop

5.0 out of 5 stars Before you go, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Watch Your Back (Kindle Edition)
Another fab book by Karen Rose. She never fails to deliver. Crime and passion all in one cannot wait for her next

Watch Your Back
Watch Your Back by Karen Rose (Paperback - 13 Feb 2014)
7.11