5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting, 11 April 2012
This review is from: The Last Echo: Violet Ambrose is the Body Finder (Body Finder 3) (Paperback)
The Last Echo is just as good - if not better - than the previous installments in this amazing series. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I adored Kimberly Derting's story and characters as I always do.

Like with the first book, there were lots of creepy chapters in which we were inside the killer's head. A lot of other people found this incredibly creepy as well, and this is one of the things I most enjoy about this series. These chapters, along with sending a chill down my spine, gave some background information on the killer that added lots of depth to his character, even though we didn't know who he was until the end.

Violet was as awesome and as badass as ever. Her scenes at the end were beyond amazing, and I was holding my breath for her. She's a great protagonist, and a great example of the badass female characters in YA.

Jay wasn't in this book as much as he is in the others. Violet and Jay's relationship takes a back seat in this novel, and I liked that. As much as I missed him, I loved seeing Violet on her own for the majority of the book.

We did, however, see lots of Rafe, who I adore. We learn a lot about his character in this book, which I loved, because he became more than a two dimensional brooding badboy.

I actually really like the potential of the love triangle in this series, which is surprising! This is one of the love triangles that is done right. Both guys are good for Violet, but in different ways. They both attract different sides of her character and I love it. And if you're worrying about Violet cheating on Jay then don't! Violet isn't like that.

The ending was so, so shocking! What was that!? Like I said above, I was holding my breath throughout the whole thing. It certainly changed the entire dynamic for the rest of the series and it was FLAWLESS.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Jay and Violet, Please., 25 April 2012
- I am a huge fan of The Body Finder series as you can read in my review of the first book The Body Finder and the second book Desires of the Dead. The Last Echo is the third book in the series and thankfully there is going to be a fourth. This is one series I hope never ends. I love the two main characters in this series Violet is an interesting character, she has an ability, I wouldn't call cool, more interesting. She is a lovable character who always tries to do the right thing, even if it means hurting the people she loves and getting herself into trouble. Her boyfriend and childhood best friend Jay is another great and lovable character. He loves Vi with all his heart and will do anything to protect her.

With the introduction of "The Team" we get to meet some new characters and with some different abilities. I feel Violet needed this to make her feel that she wasn't a freak. I do feel she got into more trouble than it was worth working with this group. I wasn't keen on Rafe, I didn't feel their chemistry and was glad nothing really came about it. I would hate for anything to stop Jay and Violet being together. They are after all one of my favourite fiction couples.

I found this book gripping and it has a lots of action and keep me reading and wanting to know what happened next, but there wasn't enough of Jay and Violet's relationship in it for me. Plus I missed Chelsea and her friends from school, they were always an extra source of hilarity in the books.

This book in the series saw Violet use her gift to help solve crimes, then got mixed up in it. I had to keep reading this book to make sure she would be safe. But then ending I didn't see coming. Poor Vi. I cannot wait to read the next instalment.

I loved this book, there could have been more Jay and Violet in it, but it was a gripping read and one roller-coaster of a ride. If you love this series you won't be disappointed. I think this book could work well as a stand alone, but I'd recommend you read the rest in the series as they are all fantastic. A big thumbs up from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Last Echo, 11 April 2012
This is the third book in the Body Finder series by Kimberly Derting. I'm a massive fan of this series and have been eagerly anticipating the release of 'The Last Echo' for months. I'm pleased to say that it didn't disappoint at all and I think it might actually be my favourite so far.

Violet is now working for Sara Priest's organisation. It was interesting seeing her having to adjust to other people knowing about her abilities outside of her family and Jay. She wants to try and use her ability to prevent people from dying, rather than just finding their bodies after their deaths. She has her toughest job so far to face when she tries to stop a serial killed nicknamed The Collector. The book is interspersed with chapters from his perspective which made for some really creepy reading.

Now that Violet is part of a team, the story focused much more on her relationships with her new friends and colleagues, rather than her romantic relationship with Jay. He is still present in the book but is often on the periphery. There are still plenty of sweet, romantic moments between the two which made my heart flutter plenty and I have no doubt in my mind that they belong together, but Violet is also having to face up to the feelings that she may have developed for Rafe. They do after all share something that Jay can never experience and it's this which seems to draw them together a lot. There are some intriguing revelations about Rafe in the book and sufficient time is given to developing his character further but I couldn't help wishing that there was less of him and more of Jay.

Violet has always been one of my favourite heroines in ya-literature. She's grown and developed so much throughout the series so far. Sometimes she does rather recklessly put herself in danger but she always does it for a good reason and you can't fault her for her desire to want to help others.

The story itself was absolutely gripping and a real page turner. Clear your day because once you've picked this book up you won't be able to stop until you've reached the end! Kimberly Derting has pulled out all the stops to create a plot which is thrilling, heart pounding and exciting. The final page by itself is jaw-droppingly good and I'm thrilled that there's set to be another book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Last Echo, 3 Jun 2013
Protagonist Violet has the ability to find the dead, more importantly, those who have been murdered. The bodies give off a unique echo which leads Violet to their body. It also matches up with an echo from the murderer, meaning Violet can help to catch them. In the first books, Violet was really secretive about what she can do and only her parents and boyfriend Jay knew about it. In this book, Violet is working with a secret, psychic team who all have unique abilities. It was quite strange to see Violet's ability so out in the open and for others like her to be working on the same team. However, this also brought in some really interesting characters who could do some really interesting things.

The Last Echo's plot revolves around `the collector', a serial killer who targets female students. As well as the book being told by Violet's point of view, there are also chapters told from the killer's perspective, which gives insight into his character and his actions. This way of telling the story is something that Kimberley Derting has done in each book so far and something I hope that continues. These books have so much mystery and excitement in them and I think this one has had the most so far. Also, the chapters from the killer are incredibly creepy and really made my skin crawl at times.

Due to the nature of the plot, and certain events that happen, this book shows what a kick ass protagonist Violet is. Not only does she have such a unique ability but she is also brave, courageous and determined. She completely throws herself into each new situation, wanting to make sure that anyone who is in danger doesn't end up in a body bag. However, what she doesn't think of is herself. Violet has little care for her own safety and doesn't think things through. In this book, Violet ends up in some quite sticky situations due to her not thinking but this also provided a hell of a lot of action and excitement.

While I loved the majority of this book, I was very sad to see that Violet's boyfriend Jay wasn't around very much. Jay was a character who I loved a lot in the first two books and it was a real shame that he wasn't around more in this one. Without his presence, there was also a severe lack of romance. The scenes between Violet and Jay are always great to read and while there was a couple, there definitely wasn't enough. Also, he's been a rock for Violet up until this point and it felt as though she was throwing him away a little bit now that she has people like her to talk to and be around.

The Last Echo was the best in the series so far in regards to action and mystery and I cannot wait to see what will happen to Violet next, especially after the shocking ending that we are left with here.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it., 16 May 2013
I really enjoyed these books this is book no 3, if you love a bit of supernatural powers, but not all the werewolf and vamps thing, this is for you. arrived quickly and packaged well, in great condition. very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whens the next one out??, 31 Jan 2013
I am so sad to get to the end of this book, i loved it! I would definately recommend this book, but start from book 1, as although its a different story each time. The characters stories carry on from one book to another. I couldnt put the book down!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite YA series, 4 Oct 2012
Michelle Cardozo (Wokingham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
The Body Finder series by Kimberly Derting is one of my favourite YA series of recent years. I really just love the mixture of crime solving and romance, especially as we are usually given brief insights into the mind of the killer which are interspersed into the narrative. I really do love Violet and her relationship with her family and especially her newly formed relationship with best friend, Jay.

I thought this move towards working with the FBI would add an interesting twist into the series, and it has. The series has introduced us to some very interesting new characters with different abilities, though I felt like this book focused a bit more than I'd like on Rafe, who clearly has feelings for Violet. Together with Jay being significantly less of a presence in The Last Echo, I found myself enjoying the book just a teensy bit less.

Even so, The Last Echo is a wonderful read. Violet is trying her best to solve this latest crime involving a serial killer in the area, and Violet must just be his latest target. I thought this book was deliciously creepy with a great mystery to solve. I still Violet as a character, the weight of her ability is a fair bit heavier in this book, and my heart went out to her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by a friend and well worth the time, 1 Aug 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I picked this title up on the recommendation of a friend and to be honest I'm glad I did, the lead character was not only a breath of fresh air but she came over as one that you could easily believe lived and breathed in our own world alongside being a person that you want to spend time with. Add to this a multifaceted personality, emotional conflict as well as character growth and these reasons alone present a wonderful read.

Back that up with different character perspectives (including the killers) and you know that its going to be a hard book to not only put down but one that you're going to eke out to make the reading pleasure last longer. All in, this title was a real treat and for me, the only real downside is that the next part isn't available yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Echo, 21 May 2012
This is one of the best books i have ever read! i have not read the other two books just this one but its very understandable, so dont worry if you want to buy this book but think you need to read the other two because you dont to be able to understand the story. The storyline is brilliant and if you like thrillers and adventure this is definately the book for you i read this book within a few days it was so brilliant, i couldnt put it down i have read a lot of books and this is by far the best book i have ever read so if your thinking about buying it dont hesitate!

5.0 out of 5 stars This series just keeps getting better, 14 May 2012
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Please bear in mind that this is the third book in the series and may therefore contain spoilers to the previous two books.

I seriously thought that this series couldn't get any better, this book proved me wrong in spades, character development, serious tension, sizzling chemistry then throw in conspiracy theory and I am totally in love.

The story continues with Violet settling into her new 'job' within the secret division of the FBI run by Sarah Priest. Violet questions here ability to actually help people as her 'gift' is only helpful in locating dead bodies rather than preventing the actual murders. however, Violet soon comes to realize that she is helping others by identify the imprints left behind on the person responsible for the death. Her 'gift' often leads her into danger as it is a compulsion to Violet to follow these impulses, something that she has to learn to control.

Insight into the other members of the team is provided by inserts told from their own point of view. Bringing insight and understanding to their actions and relationships. The connections were fascinating as they unfolded within the plot.The dynamics of the group as a whole was easier to picture with this added insight.

Although Jay doesn't feature as much as I would have liked his presence can be felt in the background. As a general rule I don't like love triangles however I have to say that this one works. (Please don't hate me). The way the story progressed made me question who would be the best person for Violet to be with. Don't get me wrong I adore Jay but he can be overprotective of Violet. Making Violet feel that she cant share all of the details of her 'abilities' or the work she does with the team with him. Violet thinks she is interfering with his life, things are not 'normal' and all she wants is his happiness. Rafe, on the other hand, understands Violet in a way that Jay never will, to a degree he understands her better than she understands herself. There is a tangible connection between them. I can literally picture her with Rafe (sorry).

The way in which Kimberly Derting gets into the mind of a serial killer is quite unnerving. the insight it provides to the plot is quite literally chilling.

Without revealing anything I will tell you that at there is a jaw-dropping twist that has left me quite desperate to know what happens next. I don't think I can wait an entire year *begs, pleads for quicker release*

Serial killers, romance, paranormal abilities, secret government departments and conspiracy theories. OH MY!!!!!!

The Last Echo: Violet Ambrose is the Body Finder (Body Finder 3)
The Last Echo: Violet Ambrose is the Body Finder (Body Finder 3) by Kimberly Derting (Paperback - 29 Mar 2012)
5.07