4.0 out of 5 stars Great crime fiction., 21 July 2014
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
**3.5 stars***

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy.

Admittedly I have dipped in and out of this long running series – one I enjoy a lot but have been terrible at keeping up with – so I was very pleased to leap back into the fray with “Body Count” and I enjoyed it very much again. I will definitely be heading into my backlist!

The thing I love most about these is the setting – Ms Nadel manages to bring into sharp focus the ambience and atmosphere of Istanbul, a place I have never been but feel like I have. It makes for a much better reading experience when you can sense and almost feel the places that the protagonists are living and working in and that is definitely one of the real strengths of this series.

Intelligent plotting as ever, with a dark undertone and a much welcome return of the grumpy yet loveable Inspector Ikmen, we are back in serial killer territory here and of course I do adore a good serial killer thriller. Another book that has haunted my dreams lately, which always means it was a good one, I was completely immersed in this throughout. A really durable series within a plethora of great crime fiction long may this continue.

Definitely recommended for fans of crime and thrillers with an exotic twist.

Happy Reading Folks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable Ikmen, 4 July 2014
Sadly I think this might be the last we see of Inspector Ikmen a brilliant timeless series set chiefly in modern Istanbul , if this is your first meeting, go back and order the first 15 and enjoy them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as ever, 17 Jun 2014
Yet another gripping tale of Inspector Ikmen series. Much better than her previous book, back to the intrigue that had me glued to all her previous books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Authentic, gripping and enjoyable, 17 Jun 2014
BookAddictShaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having never read anything by Barbara Nadel I was drawn to this book because of its setting. As much as I love crime fiction set in London and America, over the past few months I've looked for crime fiction set around the world and this series set in Turkey sounded exciting. That said though for me it's book one, for other readers it's book fifteen and you have to wonder whether the author can keep up with the quality (if the reviews are anything to go by) of what has gone before. After finishing I can say it's a solidly written story that definitely kept me reading and I'll be hoping to check out Nadel's previous books in the future.

I'm ashamed to say all I know about Istanbul is that it's the place Liverpool won the Champions League and is the name of a kebab house local to me. That said the author writes the setting really well, the book feels very authentic from start to finish and you get a real sense of place. Books set in foreign climates I feel should only be written by people that know what they are talking about and Nadel clearly does. I feel like alongside reading a well crafted and hugely enjoyable book I've learnt things I didn't previously know about a country I knew nothing about. You don't often get that with books set in London which is why I like to take a chance on books like this.

I am always wary of going into long standing series without having read previous books but our main characters Cetin Ikmen and Mehmet Süleyman soon became familiar to me. Hunting a serial killer which is not that rare for crime fiction readers but rare for the city of Istanbul, Ikmen and Süleyman soon get caught up in trying to catch the killer before s/he kills again. And I was completely caught up in it too. Plenty of twists, turns shocks and red herrings this is a book that will keep you guessing which is what I always want from a crime fiction read. The book can easily be read and enjoyed as a standalone.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent plot!, 20 May 2014
Excellent, as ever with Nadel. Ikmen goes from strength the strength, best one I have read for a while. Thoroughly recommend it his book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A high-class motive, 9 May 2014
Alyson BAILES (Reykjavik) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Body Count (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries) (Hardcover)
Barbara Nadel's series of Turkish detective mysteries has drawn new energy recently from visiting different locales, but here she returns to Istanbul with its sometimes indigestible social and ethnic mixtures. The book is among her more competent ones with plenty of shocks, twists and mounting tensions, and with some new character insights - including the latest vagaries of the now unsympathetically drawn but somehow still intriguing Inspector Suleiman. The players this time come partly from a high-up segment of Istanbul society and partly from Roma circles, making for some interesting contrasts. However, the way both environments are drawn seems sometimes over-dramatic and exaggerated, as does the eventual motive for the crimes - but no spoilers here. The book will, at any rate, not disappoint Nadel's regular readers and might make a fresher impression on someone picking up her work for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barbara Nadel Has Done It Again!, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Body Count (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries) (Hardcover)
Yes, this is Barbara Nadel at her best. Set, once gain, in the golden city of Istanbul but often in a less solubrious part of town called Tarlabasi, 'Bodycount' brings you everything you might expect from a well written, well researched detective novel. Our heroes Cetin Ikman and Mehmet Suleiman are called upon to deal with what quickly turns out to be a serial killer. As by now expected of Miss Nadel, her characterisation is so real that each new person that enters the story appears almost in vision. Following the characters through the streets of Istanbul as described by Barbara Nadel is better than a filmed travelogue contrived to attract the tourist. Suleiman meets an old love again and Ikmen contemplates homelife and work. All the while, however, the bodies mount up and it's a case of sorting out the red herrings from the true leads. For regular readers of the Ikman books, there's a bit of a surprise in store for you. For those who have never read a Barbara Nadel book, this is a good time to start.

Body Count (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries)
Body Count (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries) by Barbara Nadel (Hardcover - 2 Jan 2014)
Used & New from: 9.08