4.0 out of 5 stars light and easy escapism
Notorious Nineteen Janet Evanovich.

I received a copy of this book free in exchange for an honest review.

Published on 10 Jan. 2013 by Jeannie Zelos

3.0 out of 5 stars Brain candy
3.5/5
I used a rare three days off last weekend to get all of my Christmas decorations up. And at the end of the day, I thought I just needed something fun to read by the twinkle of my newly hung lights.

Published on 23 Nov. 2012 by Luanne Ollivier

3.0 out of 5 stars Brain candy, 23 Nov. 2012
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Notorious Nineteen: 19 (Stephanie Plum) (Paperback)
3.5/5

My choice? The latest in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich - Notorious Nineteen. (For those of you unfamiliar with these books - it is indeed the 19th book!)

Stephanie is still working as a bounty hunter for her cousin Vinnie in New Jersey. Her trusty sidekicks Lula (a one time self described 'ho ), office manager Connie and her Grandma Mazur are still by her side. But not too close - Stephanie seems to be a magnet for trouble - notably for destroying cars.

The rent is due, so Stephanie is happy to get a skip that could pay her big bucks. A local retirement home owner has embezzled millions from the facility. He went into the hospital for emergency surgery, then vanished - along with the money. Detective Joe Morelli is also looking into the case. Security expert Ranger has hired her to watch his back at a wedding for one of his staff. (A horrible pink dress is involved.) And Steph seems to growing quite attached to a Tiki statue that may or may not be giving her advice. All in all, a typical day in the 'Burg.

And yes, the sexual tension is still there - between Steph and Ranger......and Steph and Morelli. Although, Evanovich does let Stephanie have some thoughts about her future in this book. Marriage? It might be time for Steph to make a decision. And Evanovich too - the last few books are virtually copies of themselves with the names of the skips changed.

But, the Plum books are fun to read. They're light-hearted and won't tax your brain. The whodunit isn't overly difficult to figure out, but it's the journey there that's enjoyable. And we all could use a good chuckle.

Reading these books is like a bowl of your favourite candy - you keep dipping your hand in, knowing what to expect, but you still enjoy every mouthful. (Yes, there was some Christmas candy involved in my reading...) And of course there is the burning question.....who would you pick? Morelli or Ranger? I'm kinda leaning towards Ranger.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Notorious nineteen, 29 Nov. 2012
Mrs. S. A. Lynch (Leeds West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the book but felt it was not as funny as some of the earlier books and the situation with Morelli and Ranger is getting a bit stale

2.0 out of 5 stars Think she's getting fed up of writing these!, 10 Dec. 2012
I've read every one of these books, and I have to say this is definately not up to her usual standard.As the series has progressed they seem to have got less funny. Maybe Janet has got fed up of writing this series.That's what it feels like.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 14 Feb. 2013
Not great. I normally read one of Janet Evanovich's novels within days of receiving - but this one I still haven't finished. I had high hopes,I pre-ordered it and I was disappointed. Same old characters, no progression in any of the relationships and too repetitive. I feel disappointed I paid so much for the new release.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fading star??, 19 Jan. 2013
Christine Gill (Forfar, Angus United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Still quite funny and easy to read but the Morelli/Ranger situation is definitely losing its appeal. Maybe it's time for Stephanie to hang up the stun gun (Twenty's plenty sounds good for the next title).

1.0 out of 5 stars GETTING STALE, 1 Dec. 2012
Miss Margaret E. Baron "Mags" (Blackpool, UK) - See all my reviews
Yes im afraid to say that my favourite series of books is getting stale. Wheras in the early books i used to cry out loud with laughter with tears streaming down my face. The last say 3 or 4 in the series have been well below par, lacking everything that made the earlier ones so much fun to read, ie, humour & a story you just couldn't wait to read, turning each page eagerly. 20 should really be the final one, time to wiind it all up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Time to bring to an end to the series, 27 Jan. 2014
Kash (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've loved reading the earlier Stephanie Plum books, many of them being laugh out loud funny, but the last 10 or so books have been terrible and unfortunately this one does not bring the series back on a high!

There is the thinnest plot and everything else are repeats. Stephanie is back to blowing up 3 cars in this book, catching a naked guy, to-ing and fro-ing between Joe and Ranger... been there, done that for the last 18 books!!!! Something new is needed or the series needs to end. I wish she would just pick one of the men - there is no suspense now for me its just 'for gods sake pick one'!

Number 20 is definitely on the back-burner until it is at rock bottom price. I'd advise people to not pay full price for this - it just isn't worth it, wait until you can get it cheaper. I'll be keeping this but only because it is part of my set

Very disappointed reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old, same old., 3 Dec. 2012
Jenny Grant (Canvey Island, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love the Steph Plum novels, but the story line is getting a bit tired and the books seem to be shorter every time. Saying that, I will probably keep buying them....waiting for the day that Steph and Morrelli get hitched!!

4.0 out of 5 stars light and easy escapism, 10 Jan. 2013
Notorious Nineteen Janet Evanovich.

I received a copy of this book free in exchange for an honest review.

Given that Janet is such a prolific writer and I'm an avid reader its hard to believe that I haven't read any of her work before receiving the second Lizzie and Diesel novel which I loved, and this one. Now I'm in to a series that's clearly been running for a long time, I wondered how hard it would be to pick up the story. Well, my fears were unfounded, Janet writes in such a way that its clear what's happening and it seems each book although containing characters from earlier ones is a stand alone one. In addition as with Lizzy and Diesel the world and plots contained in the novels aren't complex and the story is easy to follow, although reading earlier novels would have helped sort out some of the relationships easier. I laughed - a lot - at the antics that surrounded Stephanie in her search for answers, and the crises she fell in to. The romance; well I love a bit of sexual tension in a novel, adds some spice and Stephanie has two great choices in Ranger and Morelli - but maybe she doesn't need to choose just yet :) She seems to be something of a magnet for danger in the same way as Lizzy is in the other series, and has the same quirky ways out of it that amuse and entertain.

This isn't great literature - but its not pretending to be either, simply a good fun read to amuse and entertain. Its a story you'll read when you want something to make you laugh and take your mind away from everyday problems, when you don't need to tax your brain with who's who and what's happening, you won't need to flick back through the book to sort out plots, its all laid out so it can be easily followed and enjoyed. I loved it - but then Stephanie is new to me, and at some point I'll catch up on some of the earlier books. They seem the sort to bring out and re read when you want to escape for a while from the real world.

I can see some criticism from long time followers of the series that latest books are very similar. I've been following a couple of series like this that have run on to books in the teens and feel the same about them. I guess after so many books its difficult for an author to come up with fresh ideas. Maybe its time for Stephanie to go out on a high note and let Lizzy and Diesel take over. A bias on my part though :) as Janet's writing is just up my street and I have a real penchant for paranormal novels like that and would love to read more of them.

Stars: 4. I really enjoyed it but it was just a little too "chick lit" lightweight for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit too predictable, 30 Dec. 2012
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have to confess that having never read any of Janet Evanovich's books before I did wonder how I would get on with Notorious Nineteen, considering it's the 19th book in the Stephanie Plum series, when I received a copy in the post since I didn't know her back story that would have been built up in the previous eighteen books.

Stephanie works as a bounty hunter, at this I automatically had a vision of the bounty hunters that you see on American TV series, alongside her friend Lula. But work has been a bit slack recently so she's struggling to make ends met so when she's assigned the case of missing Geoffrey Cubbin who has embezzled millions from a local retirement home, she pictures a big pay day that would solve all her financial problems. The only problem being that the trail for Geoffrey has drawn a blank, he went into hospital for emergency surgery but has since vanished without a trace...

But when a second person disappears from the same hospital Stephanie realises there is more going on than meets the eye and sets about investigating with the help of her cop boyfriend, Joe Morelli and hospital security guard Briggs. Will she be able to track down the missing fugitive and claim a stake of the bond money?

As well as the search for the missing men, Stephanie is also hired by security expert Ranger to look out for a bride-to-be, the fiance of his friend and associate, after threats are received, and Stephanie soon finds herself drawn into being a part of the wedding party and in the line of fire herself.

This was one of those books that you knew what was coming but still you read on to find out regardless. If you're looking for a taxing read then I wouldn't say that this was the book for you but if you're looking for a light read after a hectic day then this book definitely fits the bill especially as Stephanie seems to be a magnet for trouble so plenty of moments where you can't help but laugh at some of the situations she finds herself in... although not sure if this was supposed to be a comedy read or not!

It certainly would have helped to have read some of the others first to get a grip on the different relationships with Lula, Ranger, Morelli etc but despite this it wasn't difficult to follow the storyline although I have to confess I did find it a bit too predictable for my liking... maybe this is a sign that this series is coming to an end and there's not much more she can do to develop the characters.

Notorious Nineteen: 19 (Stephanie Plum)
Notorious Nineteen: 19 (Stephanie Plum) by Janet Evanovich (Paperback - 20 Nov. 2012)
Used & New from: £0.24