Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 March 2012
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is an entertaining and light read that anyone can enjoy. It covers issues like divorce, re-marrying, friendships, etc. All in all this book has it all. It might not be a paranormal romance, but who cares? This is a kick-ass book that will have you believing in fate and meeting your true love at an airport!

The characters were delightful, they were real and definitely realistic. Some authors make their characters TOO perfect. Everyone needs flaws, and that counts for the boys as well! Jennifer is not one of them authors. The girl wasn't perfect and neither was the boy, which I loved. I loved how the boy had crumbs down his shirt when the girl first saw him. I loved how the girl was unique in her own way. And damn, they are just perfect for each other.

Hadley is late for her plane, only 4 minutes. But those 4 minutes changed everything. If she hadn't missed her place she would have looked better at her father's wedding, she wouldn't have had to sit at the airport for an extra 3 hours. If she hadn't missed her plane, she wouldn't have met Oliver. Oliver, a charming British boy who studies at Yale. He has Hadley forgetting about her fears and ready to face the wedding that she has been dreading. I completely fell for Oliver's likable personality and easy smile. He is just so amazing. I wish a boy could be that funny, that nice and that stunning. He's like a light that burns too bright. He's not perfect, like I said, he has his flaws, but he just feels so real!

I got lost in the pages of this wonderful adventure. Who knew sitting on a plane for 6 hours could be so exciting? And fun? And who would have ever thought that you'd find your true love? On a plane of all places! Hadley was a great young girl to read about. She has a lot of pain trapped inside of her and she's still trying to find a way of letting in out. It's been hard for her. To have the perfect parents, and then to have one work thousands of miles away and then discover that he doesn't love your mother anymore? I can't begin to imagine how much that affected Hadley. But if you think about, if her dad had never divorced her mother then she wouldn't be going to her dad's wedding in England, and she wouldn't have met Oliver. So, maybe it is fate/destiny/whatever.

This is a stunning love story that will leave you satisfied and happy. Overall, a pleasant and enjoyable book that I can't help but re-read it over and over again. Jennifer E. Smith has written a beautiful novel and I need to read more of her works! You should too!
on 20 February 2012
This is my second book of the year and the second I read during a sleepless night. The similarity ends there, unfortunately. While Split kept me up because it was so good I just HAD to finish it, this one... well, it was only insomnia. And to think I was so eager to read it. See, I'm all for vanilla romance, it's light, relaxing and cute.
But this book did not even remotely relax me.

The premise is interesting. Hadley, on her way to London to attend her much dreaded father's wedding, misses her flight. Rescheduled for the next one three hours later, which will make her arrive barely on time, she meets Oliver, a British student at Yale, on his way to London for some other wedding. Sparks ensue. Will Hadley make it to the wedding? Will she see Oliver again?

At first, I thought that the problem I had with this book had to do with the narrative technique. The third-person limited didn't work well for me, I didn't get invested in the story that much. I couldn't connect to Hadley and even though there were some cute moments, the role I felt I was playing was just that of a polite observer. I guess I am a first-person type as far as these romantic stories are concerned, which makes total sense to me since it's not like the focal point is the world-building here but rather the characters and my involvement in the story.

But then, as the story developed, I realized that wasn't it - or rather, only marginally so.
What really disturbed me was my inability to like any of the main characters and the message they conveyed through their actions.

Let's start with Hadley's dad, a college professor. It's not spoilery if I tell you that he went to teach to Oxford for a semester, met someone else, dumped his wife and daughter and never came back. I call this kind of person a cheater. I'm not sure if the whole purpose - or one of the purposes - of the book was for Hadley to come to terms with her dad's betrayal and forgive him, thus "growing up" and understanding the complicated world of adults. Because, as far as I am concerned, there's no forgiveness to be had here. The reality is that he went abroad, met a younger, prettier girl - incidentally, Hadley's mum is short and stocky- and dumped his family. I do not accept the dad's justification "because I fell in love", reinforced by "Love isn't supposed to make sense. It's completely illogical."
In fact, wait a sec there. Love might be illogical but marriage and commitment are not. It's a joint effort and as far as I'm concerned, you just don't bail out of it, especially if there are children involved. You just don't go to the other side of the world living your happy life with your new bimbo (Charlotte doesn't come out as much more than that after all, we only hear her talking about her house). And I don't like the fact that he gets off the hook so easily and Hadley forgives him. That's not the message I want to hear from this book, Love does not justify all.

And what about Charlotte, the new wife? How can you trust a man who cheated on his wife with you? How do you know it won't happen to you, after a few years, when you've become old news?

Finally, I disliked Hadley and her drama queen behavior. How do you dump your dad on his wedding day and go see a boy you just met? Then break into tears right before the wedding reception and make it all about you, you, you? Bad timing, girl, even if you don't like your dad, the wedding or the wife. It felt like this budding thing she had with Oliver was more important than her family issues, which should so not be the case.

This is why, and I am in the minority here, I just couldn't like this book as I thought I would. Light and fluffy is totally my cup of tea, but disagreeing with the general message of the book is a whole different story.

Hopefully you'll like it more than me.
on 20 June 2014
I picked up this book after seeing as few reviews saying how amazing it was and they were not wrong! It is only a short read but it does not make it any less amazing, and because I couldn't put it down I finished it on two hour flight to Spain. I am a believer in love at first sight and I found this book to be so heartwarming that I think even those non-believers would think twice and maybe even start to believe.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight tells the story of how four minutes changes the course of Hadley’s life, for the better. Hadley is on her way to her fathers wedding and if that isn't bad enough, she’s never met the bride before. Hadley doesn't want to go, doesn't want the 12 hour flight to London and definitely doesn't want to be a bridesmaid and when she misses her flight by just four minutes, Hadleys pretty much had enough of it. Enter Oliver, a British boy who happens to be on her next flight out to London, for a very different affair. The two share a few special hours on their flight to London, only to face reality when they loose each other in the crowds once they land.

The plane ride scenes are great, I thought as they meet boarding the plane the whole book would be about their plane journey and this may get a little boring, but this was not the case at all! You learnt all you need to know from just a few chapters and it made them exciting even though they were just siting on a plane. You didn't get to know Olivier much in these chapters but again that makes the book better because it leaves a bit of mystery and you are excited to find out a bit more about him and his life.

I thought this book was perfect and it was such a cute, lovely love story. The characters weren't explored in depth but I thought this was a good way of writing as it explained the characters but also left some things to the imagination.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a warm and witty book about destiny, first loves, soul mates and perfect timing. The book also highlights family issues and what it means to really be in love with a person.

A fast paced book that you can read in one sitting. I would definitely recommend this to anybody that likes a good love story!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It could happen one day; you miss your train, you're late for your flight, your bus leaves early without you, and because of that, your life may take an entirely different turn, you may even have a chance encounter, a happy coincidence that otherwise may never have happened at all?

Seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan is reluctantly on her way from New York to her father's wedding in London to a woman she has never met. She hasn't seen her father for a while, and various distractions and incidents earlier that day and en route mean she misses her flight by just four minutes. Anxious and unsettled, mulling over all the reasons for not going at all, and waiting for the next flight, she meets Oliver, a kind young English boy who helps her with her luggage. Through another fortuitous twist they find themselves seated close together on the plane, and during the hours of the flight they talk, joke, and sleep in each other's unfamiliar and yet affectionate company, and a beautiful connection is formed.

In a taxi on her way to her father's wedding, Hadley is unable to stop thinking about Oliver; he is `like a song she can't get out of her head.' When she arrives at the church, the trepidation she has been feeling increases, after all `what exactly are you supposed to say to the father you haven't seen in ages on the occasion of his wedding to a woman you've never met?' Struggling with all these conflicting emotions about the boy she has just met and about the soon-to-be stepmother she has yet to meet, and the father about whom she doesn't know what to feel, Hadley has some decisions to make, with her head and with her heart. Meanwhile Oliver is also attending an event in London, but he has been more reserved and has disclosed less about the purpose of his visit thus far.

This is an unashamedly lovely young adult novel that makes you feel young and romantic again. There is a genuine innocence to Hadley and Oliver, and some lovely, light and gently flirtatious dialogue between the two of them on the plane as they pass the hours in the air next to each other, with gentle humour and emotion as each gives a little away about themselves, and they quickly establish a real closeness. Additionally there are the conflicting feelings that Hadley experiences with regard to her father. She was close to him, and has been deeply hurt by how he left her and her mother. Through the story the reader is able to find out what has happened as Hadley thinks back to times spent with him, how he shared his love of books with her from an early age, and how difficult their most recent meeting was for her.

The author has created a touching, heartfelt tale with a young woman at it's heart who is emerging from childhood and meeting the highs and lows of the adult world full-on. The narrative as a whole feels just the right length, and I really enjoyed reading it. I love the role that Dickens has to play too! It was a real pleasure to read a story with such warmth, and a sweet, romantic meeting at its heart, (even being a bit older and more cynical I got swept away!) I think this is an enjoyable, sweet read for adults both young and old.
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are a lot of reasons why The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight appealed to me. Firstly I'm a huge believer in fate and destiny and all the `what ifs' of the synopsis intrigued me. Then there's the fact that under the cynical shield I at times portray, I'm a BIG romantic and while love at first sight is a topic that divides opinion, I'm firmly on the 'it CAN happen' side of the fence. When I was lucky enough to recieve an early copy I was ecstatic!

The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight is set over a 24-hour period, where Hadley is travelling from the USA to London to attend her father's second marriage. Only this isn't a happy occasion, as Hadley still hasn't forgiven him for abandoning her family and moving thousands of miles away. When by chance she meets with fellow traveller, Oliver, she has no idea of the impact he will have on her.

Wow, what an emotional and romantic journey this book is. Every single word that Jennifer E Smith writes conjures up feelings so intense it's like I was experiencing it myself rather than through Hadley. I absolutely loved this book from beginning to end and gulped it up in just a couple of hours.

Stories about love at first sight have to be believable to work, and for me Jennifer E Smith's debut definitely hits the mark. Because the entire book is set over just 24 hours, the reader can experience the building relationship between Hadley and Oliver so rather than be told they suddenly have these intense feelings, you actually witness and experience them developing. Both characters become rounded and real as they share their stories with each other and I admit to being just as charmed by the gorgeous Oliver as Hadley is herself. What I really love about this book is the simplicity and humanness of it. There's no twists, monsters in the closet or flashy tricks. It's just a beautiful and touching story of two people meeting and connecting in unusual circumstances and leaves you to imagine for yourself what the future will hold for its characters.

The statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight is one of the best books I've read this year and definitely makes it into my top recommendations list. With a release date in January 2012, I suggest you pre-order it now. It's the perfect book to lift any post Christmas blues and cheer and warm your heart. If you have an ounce of romance in your soul, you'll love this book.
on 23 November 2012
I adored this book, I thought it was amazing and I connected with it on so many levels. This book is not just about romance despite the name, blurb and cover this book is more about families, and how you cope with the fall out if one of your parents moves on.

I was a few years younger than Hadley when my dad left mum and me for another woman. He moved across the country and left my mum and me alone. I was devastated, I cried for days and it hurt so much. I wondered why I wasn't good enough, wondered if he loved this woman more than me. My mum was a mess she was angry and bitter and I didn't know how to react. It was a s***ty thing for him to do and for a few years I thought I hated him. I was horrible to him, refused to communicate on any level with his girlfriend and was generally a bit of a bitch. Now in my twenties everything is fine. I love my dad and I forgive him, I think him leaving was probably for the best and we have a great relationship now but for a while, in my teens things were tense.

I feel like this book reached into me and put all my thoughts and feelings on a page. At times it was like reading a auto biography of my 15 year old self. Hadley takes a journey through this book, a journey I think a lot of us have to take at that age and I related to it a lot. This book was handled with such care, it was no overdone, and the drama was not too much. It was just right.

The writing in this is exquisite, the descriptions and dialogue is top notch and I read the whole thing in a night. It was engaging and entertaining throughout.

I loved the characters. Hadley was a lovely and mostly sweet girl who I connected with instantly. Oliver was charming, funny and adorable. The chemistry and dialogue between them was effortless and I fell in love with them as a couple and as individuals. In parts it was hopelessly romantic and it made me smile with its cuteness all through the book.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is the most adorable and sweet book I have read in a long time. I loved every second of it and it is beyond doubt the best contemporary book I have read in 2012.
on 22 June 2012
Also posted at: [...]

This is the first book I've read in 2012 and BOY was I glad. This is like Anna and the French Kiss except it's much MORE. A story about love, family, fate, destiny and a hot British boy. Yup, what more could you ask for in a novel, hmm?

When I saw that this actually takes place over only 24 hours, I was skeptical. Like,really? How can you fall in love in less than 24 hours? I didn't believe in love at first sight (who does?), but Jennifer E. Smith made me learn and see that it actually DOES happen. It's written in third person perspective, which I wasn't aware of and I wasn't fond of because I tend to like first person narrative better, but the writer just managed to capture both Hadley and Oliver's characters soooo much. Hadley was so cool, smart and I love that what she's going through is perfectly relatable. Oliver was charming, sweet, did I mention BRITISH(!) and just a normal guy, I like that he's so realistic (which I can't say much about other love interests in YA these days).

There were some tiny suprises along the way, and I thought they were perfect for the story of Hadley and Oliver. This is probably one of those books that I will read over and over again and the statistical probability that you will love this book is pretty high. I warned you.

Anyway, if you enjoy contemporary young romance, and an irresistable love story with funny laugh-out-loud moments, and want to start the New Year with a 'happy' book, then The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a definite must-read.
on 11 February 2014
If you like witty love stories, this one is for you. Sure some people get tired of the typical cliché love stories, but this is a really fun read with some particularly funny parts condensed into it. The characters are likeable, though predictable. The story however is short, so if you're not looking for a quick read, you may want to reconsider and go for something else. If you're looking for a story that can potentially make you smile, this could be it. We all need our lifts now and again, this, is a lift.
on 20 February 2016
How I came to buy a book about a seventeen year old American schoolgirl, I cannot imagine. I assume it must have been a mistake.

However, as it turns out, not buying it would have been the mistake.

Whilst undoubtedly light and fluffy, it also manages to be intelligent and entertaining. The fact that the author could take such a (for me) incredibly unlikely subject, and yet still manage to weave an enjoyable story says a great deal for her writerly skills.
on 30 December 2012
This is I suppose you'd call teen fiction as the main characters are in their late teens. However, I enjoyed it nonetheless, even though I'm in my fifties.

It's a light read. I can imagine enjoying it while sitting by the pool on holiday. If you're looking for something with depth and meaning then this book isn't for you. But it was a good light read.