Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 May 2015
I loved the plot, and I thought the book was well written - apart from the obvious time mistake and three spelling errors. (p 206 ...'died 3 Jun 1985 ... Coco Delaney attempted to continue the business following his death, the company went bankrupt and was dissolved in 1974.') (??!)
(p 28 'hot air balloons He ..' - no full stop, p 209 '... a sort of Spanish omlette ...', p 271 ... lined with preverts and predators ...')

I must admit, I am a stickler for good spelling and three mistakes is, in my opinion, not acceptable, which made me skim read the rest as I was so annoyed (this really is a pet hate of mine!). It's a shame, because if it wasn't for these I would have rated this higher.

I would be really disappointed with the proofreader/copy editor for allowing these to get into print. Hopefully these have been picked up and rectified in future editions.
on 15 July 2014
Very slow to get moving. There were contradictions in the plot - particularly where the time frame of events was concerned - and this, along with the constant procrastination of the main character, was a distraction from what could have been an interesting premise.
on 3 July 2013
I loved this book. I had previously read Jessica Ruston's work and enjoyed it, but in this novel she has produced what I feel is her best work.

<NOT A SPOILER> The story is a mystery told by a young, married female protagonist who has learned over time not to ask questions about the mother who left her at a young age. Life is simpler, and less painful for those around her, if she just lets sleeping dogs lie. This is precisely what she does until a half tip-off from an anonymous stranger forces her to confront her past and try to unravel what she knows, what she thought she knew, and what the people she trusts most have been keeping from her.

But to describe this as just a mystery novel (and let's face it, there are suddenly hundreds) is to do it a disservice. Yes, I was utterly gripped and no, I didn't anticipate the book's twists and surprises. But what I really loved about Ruston's book is its great emotional intelligence. The protagonist's feelings towards her husband, mother, father, self all rang completely true and reflected perfectly the complexities and contradictions of her personal situation. She deals with loss, betrayal, shame, delusion, great yet flawed love. And yet throughout these very naked emotional processes, Ruston never once resorts to sentimentality and women's commercial fiction cliche. I never cringed, nor rolled my eyes. I believed it all.

This is an extremely elegant and perceptive novel. Everything is done with a light touch, while at the same time demanding you turn to the next page. It's also a very easy read (I did it over a rainy weekend). I thoroughly recommend it.
on 18 October 2015
I am half way through this book, and feel compelled to write a review as this is the slowest & most boring book I have read for years. It is painful picking it up each day - I am living in hope that it will get better. I have not warmed to any of the characters who are very one dimensional and the story is just so slow. I would not recommend this book, unless you have insomnia and need a good trigger for sleep.

I read so many books as I am a commuter - I have read so many wonderful books, that I know for sure when a book is an uninspiring, non-page turner. Don't waste your time.
on 13 June 2014
Basically its ok, not awful, not brilliant just ok book. I probably average a book a week so when I had a reminder to review this one I had to flick back on to Amazon to read the cover again, and that says it all really because despite having read it a few weeks ago I couldn't remember the plot.
on 4 April 2013
I thought that Jessica Ruston's last book The Darker Side of Love was fantastic so I was very excited to receive her latest one. The Lies You Told Me is also fantastic, Jessica Ruston is a superb story-teller, she draws you in straight away and you are completely absorbed by the end of the first chapter.
Klara's mother disappeared when she was a child and her father told her she had died abroad. However, Klara receives a letter and a key; the key is for a storeroom which contains some of her mother's belongings, most importantly, her diary. Klara begins to discover the many secrets her mother kept which leads her to realise the many secrets her father has had to keep over the years too. She has been told so many lies; Klara begins to question her whole life, why the need for the lies and elaborate stories, what is she being protected from?
The Lies You Told Me flits between the present day which we see through Klara's eyes and then London in the 70's which is presented in Klara's mother's diary entries. Klara has to fit everything together in order to reach the truth.. Who was her mother and what is her father hiding? Klara doesn't just learn new things about her family members but about herself, the way in which she reacts to this new information affects her current relationship, she questions the way in which she behaves, is she like the mother she didn't know?
Jessica Ruston has written such an interesting book. I loved how everything came together at the very end but there were still some surprises. The whole book is about lies, the good ones and the bad ones plus the ones we don't even realise we are telling.
I highly recommend this book, The Lies You Told Me is a gripping read that I really struggled to put down.
Klara Mortimer was just a little girl when her mother suddenly disappeared out of her life, leaving her behind with only her father to take care of her. Now, as she is older, all Klara has left of her mother are her own memories and her father's stories. Until she unexpectedly receives a key in the mail with a note that leads her to a storage room. In here, Klara finds several missing pieces of the puzzle that is her mother's life, including her mother's own personal diary. Klara doesn't want to share her findings with anyone else, and slowly she becomes obsessed with discovering what kind of person her mother was and what truly happened to her all those years ago...

The story is told from two perspectives: Klara in the modern day and age, and Sadie (Klara's mother) in 1950s London. I was immediately captivated by Sadie and her story, which is centred around her dream to become a famous model. She is such a determined young woman, and I really felt myself going along with her rollercoaster of emotions. I loved switching between these two voices and finding out more about Sadie with every page I turned. Occasionally I found myself getting a bit frustrated by Klara's behaviour, but at the same time I have never been in a situation like hers, and everyone reacts differently to certain events, sometimes in unexplainable ways, which is something that also comes back in the novel. One of the strengths of the novel is also that even though I did not particularly really warm to Klara, I was definitely interested by her story and wanted to find out what would happen to her and her search for her mother's identity.

There's definitely a mysterious side to this novel: who sends Klara the key to the storage room? What happened to Sadie? Why did she suddenly disappear? Will Klara be able to find all the pieces of the puzzle? All these questions made me want to keep on reading in order to find out more. The novel focuses on memories, secrets, lies, and what kind of effect these things can have on you, and this is something that really fascinated me. `The Lies You Told Me' is a slightly mysterious and compelling novel that will have you hooked from the first page until the very last words, so make sure you have a couple of free hours before opening this book!
on 14 June 2013
I was captivated by the story told in this novel. It wrongfooted me again and again, the characters were all flawed, all dislikable at times, and this made them all the more real. A wonderful read, over all too soon.
on 22 December 2014
Very much enjoyed this novel from Jess Ruston.

I loved the way Klara's interest in her absent mother's story grows, and how she copes with the increasing distrust of her father's neat wrapping up of Klara's family history. And how the mysteries of the past begin to impinge on Klara's everyday life.
on 6 June 2013
This is a brilliantly compelling story centred around Klara and her mother, who left her when she was a child. The daughter is given a key to a storage unit where she finds her mother's diary and a box of random possessions. The story flits between the present day, and her mother's story as told in her diaries. It is *such* a page turner, and I loved the way that the the novel managed to combine elements of a thriller and mystery along with a story about families, relationships and whether we ever truly know the people we surround ourselves with.

(PS, after reading this I disposed of all my teenage diaries)