Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 May 2013
I generally love Andy Mcdermott books,they are almost certainly in my top three authors lists,but I'm not too sure where he is going with this?
The story,is basically about a secret US government organisations that has the ability to obtain a persons memory via drugs and electronics,which then can be passed into an agent to recover information ,in these cases concerning terrorism activities
Sounds OK,but,for those that remember,it feels a bit like a modern equivelent of a Joe 90 episode on "speed."
Unlike the Wilde/Chase books Andy writes,the hero this time is a American ex Special forces,typical american hero in physique(yawn!),joined with what is described as a hippy type british girl. The hero obviously,we find out has some issues with having his memory wiped to hide high ranking officers who have done some "very bad things" in the name of "national security." Obviously,all sorts itself and the baddies get what they deserve after lots of chasing shooting and explosions....they're the good bits!
Now,the Wilde and Chase books,are historical/archelogical/adventure/Indiana jones on steroids type and really good fun,Eddie Chase is a Yorkshireman,ex SAS,ageing/balding and with a typical "squaddie" sense of humour,which makes it brilliant for most British readers and are really...especially to me,un-put-downable books,the Persona Protocol,strikes me as being aimed at the American market and although is obviously an experiment at a different subject by Mcdermott (and I don't know if it is the start of a new series) does not seem to flow like his original books,and it doesn't seem to read like it has been as enjoyable to write as his Wilde/Chase books,and is certainly lacking in any sense of humour.
I would say that Mcdermott would be better sticking with his original type story line,even if he changed the heros(please don't kill them off). It was like James Rollins trying to fit in with the modern way at the moment of writing about vampires,it just doesn't work as well!
Anyway,if you like Andy Mcdermott,read it anyway,we all have different tastes and you may like it,and it is always good to support UK writers
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 February 2014
The Persona Protocol puts the reader into territory that wouldn't feel out of place in a Mission Impossible or James Bond novel or movie. No expense is spared, no gadget or mode of transport unavailable, as our group of characters go about their business of saving the world - in this novel, from terrorists after the ultimate weapon. Fortunately, our heroes have the ultimate device to stop them.

Adam Gray is an American secret. He appears wiped of memories, experiences and personality. They're not required. Instead, Gray is able to take on the identity of anyone he wishes for a full day, thanks to the incredible invention of the protocol.

The Persona Protocol leaps from one outrageous scenario to another, each vying with the one before for sheer audacity and nerve. There's barely time to draw breath before Adam and the others are yet again up to their necks in it. The story, though, is given an extra human touch thanks to the introduction of Bianca Childs, whose job is to look after the medical side of the protocol. As she becomes caught up in the adventure, she takes on much more than that until she is the thriller's greatest source of glamour and humour. Even Adam begins to open up to this exciting young woman. There are lines of dialogue here that made me laugh outloud (McDermott's books always make me do that) and I really enjoyed the interplay between Bianca and Adam.

While I did enjoy the premise of The Persona Protocol, the main let down in the novel for me was the plot. I found it rather dull and, most unfortunately of all, very predictable. I did guess the outcome. Of course, this is a book that has a great deal to compete with - the Eddie and Nina thrillers are among the very best of their genre. The Shadow Protocol just doesn't have the same flare or excitement or sheer exuberance despite all the huge efforts (which were appreciated) of the very likeable Bianca and Adam. I can understand McDermott striking out for something new and I think that this could become a compelling series of its own. The ingredients are there, it just needs a spark to set it afire. I'm grateful for the review copy.
on 14 April 2013
Wouldn't think it was written by the same author as the Nina Wilde/Eddie Chase series. The characters lacked depth and I lost interest half way through and had to keep going back to it to finish it. With Andy McDermott's other books I haven't been able to put the books down. I hope he will write more with Nina and Eddie.
on 16 April 2013
Having read all of Mr McDermott's previous books (enjoying them immensely) and with the full knowledge that this was a new 'chapter' in his writing career, I was excited that he had taken bold steps to give us minions something a little different and not keep flogging the same (quite undead) horse. I therefore read The Persona Protocol with an open-mind.

Initially, I was pleasantly surprised with the plot and how things might go but sadly, this was short lived. Whilst the 'Persona' spin was interesting, my subconscious kept screaming 'Bourne Identity' and 'Total Recall'. Furthermore, I felt that the characters were at best, weak and at worst, confused. It was also incredibly predictable.

It is such a crying shame.

However, it appears that there could be more of the series to come and I will consider buying it; not out of wanting to, more out of loyalty as we have very few British thriller writers that have broken through into an already saturated market; and with hope that more weight and substance can be developed with the plot and characters.

The reason for my title of this review is that whilst all the ingredients of a fine yorkshire pudding are there, either the temperature of the oven wasn't warm enough, it wasn't mixed very well or there wasn't enough smoking oil in the oven tray.
on 15 May 2013
Andy McDermott never ceases to deliver. A non stop action packed roller coaster ride..... I cannot wait for more from this series, there has got to be more? Surely!!
on 15 May 2013
Thoroughly enjoyable with a fast and exile rating car chase as the finale. Would have liked a more definitive conclusion however.
on 1 September 2013
Andy McDermott certainly knows how to create great characters, thrills and an evolving plot. Its a great spy thriller with some scientific fiction in the same style as a 007 movie. Yes some of the action was over-the-top but that's how its done. All in all I really enjoyed it.
on 28 July 2013
Starting to read this I thought it was the script for a spy story from Dollhouse (excellent 2009-10 TV series by Joss Wheedon of Buffy fame) - it's OK but not Andy's best work, rather repetitive and there are only so many times you can read how they copy the persona of some good or bad guy or utilise "one we recorded earlier". Given Dollhouse went visual with a similar sort of story four years ago this book is NOT new territory and hence if you liked Dollhouse, just seems a rather copycat and belated attempt to earn some cash by copying Joss' base storyline. It is left with an opportunity to write more.........hopefully those will be more dynamic and engaging (like Andy's other works)..........I can but hope!
on 15 June 2014
An interesting idea - a device that allows you to take someone's persona, and it is used to fight against terrorism - with very good characters. Suprisingly enjoyed it just as equally as the Nina Wilde- Eddie Chase series. Sure, this book has bits of Total Recall and Bourne Identity in it, but it's a good action-spy yarn in its own right, and I hope there's more adventures involving the Persona device. The action is awesome, especially the bit in Russia. Well done, mr McDermott.
Rex Grainger - the author of Elixir Stone
on 1 May 2014
This book was based on a thoroughly ingenious concept of transferring personna's whilst developing a intriguing story line. Highly recommended.