1,225 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical (but probably not for everyone)
Mabel and Jack cannot have children. They move to Alaska to start a new life, one without the pressures of polite society. However it is not easy, the farm work is hard for her husband and money is tight. They struggle to survive the dark, cold winters and start to move apart. One night, as the snow falls, Mabel is overcome by a childish urge to make a snowman, no, a snow...
Published on 10 Feb 2012 by Curiosity Killed The Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars I prefer more pace and action.
This is a difficult book to review as it's simply not the kind of book which I would usually be enthusiastic about. You might wonder why I picked it as my Audible download of the month, in that case, right? Well, the blurb intrigued me and the cover enchanted me. I had hopes of a haunting narrative, evocative of old, dark fairy tales. What I got was something...
Published on 24 May 2012 by Laura

‹ Previous | 111 12 13123 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Really engaging story, 16 May 2014
Anne (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
An engaging story set against a backdrop of late 1800 as the rail road arrives in Alaska and people try to carve out a life for themselves against the harsh conditions. The story has a slightly magical mysterious element to add to the charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 14 May 2014
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book! Quite descriptive but not over the top, as some books are. I liked the characters which is always a help in my liking a book! A bit of an unusual tale maybe, but very enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book-atmospheric and beautifully written., 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
This was an unusual wistful story, very gentle and it draws you into the freezing harsh world of early settlers to Alaska/ N America.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 11 May 2014
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
Have just finished this book even though I bought it ages ago - and I was enthralled. Beautiful story and the characters are alive in my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book such a fascinating story beautifully written, the characters feel so real you don't want it to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Snow Child (Paperback)
I have given this book five stars, not because I believe it's perfect, but because four stars represents "like" and five, "love", and certainly love is a more apt description of my reaction than "like". Is this a book I would have been proud to have written? Yes. Is it a book that I will read again, despite knowing exactly what will happen and how it will? Yes. These are signs to me that I love rather than just like this book. I loved being part of the wild and lonely landscape of Alaska - I feel I have lived there myself after reading this book - and, of course, I loved the relationships between the characters and the way the story unfolded. This is a very gentle novel that leaves the reader with a sense of peace at the end, as well as an appreciation of the beauty of isolated snowy expanses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite As Expected., 8 May 2014
This review is from: The Snow Child (Paperback)
After reading some good reviewsI decided to go ahead and order a number, as fitting Winter gifts at Christmas, but the story was not the author's own, and I found it trite. Disappointing, as I had snowflakesilver book marks to complete each present. Moral of the story is always read the novel first!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, well-written, magical story., 8 May 2014
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot but I can't remember the last time I read a book that I couldn't bear to put down. It takes a while to get going but once it did I just had to keep reading. I read on with a sense of dread, fearing that something horrible was around each corner. I've just read for three hours straight to finish it, needing to know what happens but at the same time dreading the end. I don't give 5 stars to many books but this deserves every one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 7 May 2014
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed, although it was not what I was expecting, which made it all the better. Would certainly recommend, which I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 4 May 2014
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
A beautifully written novel. It leaves the reader with a sense of uncertainty as to exactly what has happened, but also with a sense that wish fulfilment is possible. The descriptions of Alaska make the reader aware of the harshness of the landscape, yet give one faith that belief in hard work, the love of a couple and sheer determination can make this life one that is worth striving for.
The stark contrast between reality and the fairy tale wonder of life is spun together in such a way that it is impossible to separate the two. A fairy tale for grown- ups that may just reaffirm why we are here and what is important in life.

‹ Previous | 111 12 13123 | Next ›

The Snow Child
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (Hardcover - 1 Feb 2012)
Used & New from: 0.01