4.0 out of 5 stars Tarnished
Peg is in her twenties and has very little memory of her childhood. She knows that her mother died when she was only a young child and that her father disappeared soon afterwards. She was brought up by her beloved nan and granddad, the gentle and kind Dolly and Frank together with aunty Jean - her father's parents and sister.

Peg has never been a confident...
Published 13 months ago by EssexReader

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not a Thriller!
Published 13 months ago by Al

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not a Thriller!, 26 Jun 2013
Al (Farnborough, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had already read Cuckoo by Julia Crouch and had enjoyed that book so when I saw this new book by her I was keen to read it. It was an interesting story and I liked the character of Peg, although unfortunately a description of her was not in the very first part of the book so I had an image of her that was completely different from snippets that came out about her later on in the book. I got drawn into the story quite easily. It was an easy book to read and I did enjoy it but would not describe it as a thriller. The ending did have a couple of surprises but I thought overall it was a little too predictable and therefore a little disappointing.

I didn't find the setting of the story, the bungalow in which Peg had grown up, particularly chilling or creepy but a bit sad and melancholy and I felt sorry for her with her dilemma of living her own life with her partner Loz or looking after her Nan who had brought her up and her disabled Aunt Jean.

All in all I would say this was a good read but not as good as Cuckoo. I also found a few typing errors which I found a bit annoying and one error actually referred to the main character's brother when she was an only child and it should have said her uncle!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tarnished, 16 Jun 2013
EssexReader (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Peg has never been a confident person. Although she felt loved by her grandparents and Jean, her schooldays were miserable and friendless and she has always believed everything she has been told without question. However, she now realises that she is starting to remember snippets of her childhood - is her memory playing tricks on her or is she really remembering?

There are some very unlikeable characters in Peg's life. Her father seemed to be a shady character - a nightclub owner who appeared to be involved in some unlawful activities. Her aunty Jean is a vile character, she is manipulative and despite being bedridden for many years due to her obesity, she still insists on continuing to eat her own bodyweight in food and smoking her cigarettes in between puffing on her oxygen mask. I didn't really warm to Peg either at first - I thought she was too meek and too easily manipulated by other people, especially her feisty girlfriend Loz and her aunty Jean.

This was a slow burner of a story and whilst not an edge of your seat thriller, it starts very slowly with the tension building throughout the book, with sinister twists and turns until the conclusion - which I never saw coming. Peg, with Loz's help, tries to put together her fragments of memory and find out the truth concerning her family never imagining the danger heading her way.

This was an excellent read and I would certainly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Secrets from the past are revealed piece by piece, 26 May 2013
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought Cuckoo, the debut from Julia Crouch was a great read, although I wasn't as impressed with her second book Every Vow You Break, so I had reservations before reading this book. I'm really glad I gave it a go; an intriguing story backed up by skilful writing meant that this was an enjoyable read.

Peg has no childhood memories of being brought up by her lovely grandmother, Dolly in the same house as her obese aunt Jean. When Dolly starts suffering from dementia Peg decides to track down her father but maybe she should have left the past where it was? Peg is in a relationship with a much stronger partner, Loz who is pushing her to find out what it was that the family are reluctant to reveal to Peg. Events soon take a very dark turn as the two women dig into the past.

Julia Crouch manages to raise the tension in this book with the aid of Peg's slowly returning , memories, the descriptions of the house where Dolly has hoarded stuff and Jean's obesity are so well described it made my skin crawl. The reader may need to suspend a certain level of belief, particularly towards the end but it is no less thrilling for that. A book to become absorbed in and to be repulsed by in equal measures, I can't wait for the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highy enjoyable mystery., 11 Oct 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tarnished (Paperback)
Peg always felt a little blurred, a little lacking in definition. Her mother died when she was six, her father simply disappeared, and she was brought up by her grandparents and her obese, bedridden aunt. But, despite all this, she never developed the habit of asking questions.....

But perhaps she should have done...or not! Anyway I muchly enjoyed this novel, a total indulgence, one I found hard to put down and after I had finished I felt a little like I had run a marathon...

Why? Well mostly down to the characters. I didnt like hardly ANY of them. Isnt that terrific? Yes it is because they are so well written. I'm not entirely convinced that Ms Crouch WANTS people to like them. In fact the only one I loved was the one that peripherally I was probably supposed to be suspicious of. No. Not saying. But anyway, we have Peg, with her never ending passive stance, tempered by Loz who knows it all and never shuts up. Then you have Grandma "Doll", frail but full of her own importance and Auntie Jean who can't get out of bed due to her MASSIVE bulk and can talk around a subject and leave your head spinning like no other...throw them all together with the mystery of what exactly happened to Peg's father, and why she has no memory of her early years and you have a corker of a story.

Information is drip fed to you in short little bits and bobs as we watch Peg slowly but surely start to realise that everything is not as clear cut as it appears...everyone is hiding secrets and no-one wants to tell the truth..the blame game is played to perfection and you are never sure if what you are hearing can be relied upon. Blimey though I wanted to hit her over the head with a frying pan upon occasion - so ridiculously fond was she of hiding in the corner from the actual facts that were emerging..

Anyway, cleverly done, paced perfectly, no downturn in the quality at any point made this one of my favourite recent reads - hey I was curled up under the duvet with a torch at 3am this morning (so the children didnt see my light on and decide it was time to get up!) so that probably tells you all you need to know. Now..I'm sure Ms Crouch has written some others. Better go find them then....

Happy Reading Folks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute genius, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Tarnished (Kindle Edition)
Julia Crouch's first two books were excellent, but her third psychological thriller feels to me like the best yet. Despite the relentless pace of the book, and believe me you will want to keep reading, she never loses the skill of writing beautifully and even at moments of intense drama, you will find yourself caught up in a perfect turn of phrase. It's rare to find a book which immerses you so completely in a location, complete with textures, smells and the tastes of childhood - and then twists cleverly enough to make you gasp and grip the book a little tighter.

Tarnished starts off as heart-wrenching, moves quickly to intriguing and very soon after that becomes downright terrifying. You will not want to miss this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A suspenseful and psychological read, 7 July 2013
Nicola "nicola_in_southyorks" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I haven't read any of Julia Crouch's work before, so was sort of expecting this book to be a psychological thriller like her others seem to have been. It's not quite a thriller but it is definitely a psychological book. The main character is Peg, a woman in her early 20s who is only just starting to remember parts of her childhood that she seems to have blocked out. She spent much of her life with her nan, Doll, and her aunty Jean. Doll is a tiny but incredibly strong woman, and Jean is a massive woman who hasn't been out of bed for 10 years. Peg had moved away but when Doll has a fall and Peg has to go back and sort out her bungalow, in which Doll has hoarded everything and anything over the years, Peg starts to discover things that don't quite make sense and long-buried mysteries start to fall into place.

I really liked this book. It's quite a page-turner and I enjoyed how Peg and Loz, her girlfriend, uncovered the past bit by bit. The story managed to keep up the suspense of who did what until right at the very end, which is an impressive thing to do. I think Julia Crouch really portrayed the location, the squalor of the bungalow and the characters extremely well. I'd definitely read another by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Tarnished (Paperback)
Thoroughly enjoyed reading, twists and turns. This is my first read of this author and would certainly read another title!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarnished, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Tarnished (Paperback)
Excellent book from Julia crouch. This is my third book of hers I've read, and all really gripping stories with twists and turns. Highly recommend you read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Tarnished (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this book read the cuckoo and found this one just as riveting hard to put down and would recommend this author

4.0 out of 5 stars Different and good!, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tarnished (Kindle Edition)
Different kind of a book which ended completely opposite to what I expected which was clever. Not fast moving in fact sometimes bit frustrating you just want the story to progress but maybe this is also what makes it good. Off to try another Julia crouch so can really make my mind up what I think of her style. Well worth the read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Tarnished
Tarnished by Julia Crouch (Paperback - 14 Mar 2013)
10.15