4.0 out of 5 stars There's life in Martina Cole yet!
Most would agree that Martina's books over the last couple of years have been somewhat lacking The Life however reminds us that MC is still capable of writing a book on level with her early work!

Although The Life may not be on par with the likes of Dangerous Lady or Broken for the first time in years I was unable to put one of her books down! I never share...
Published 23 months ago by WomanofSoul

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feeling
Martina Cole's early books were great reads, but unfortunately she doesn't seem to have had the same edge in her recent books. However The Life shows indications that early talent is still there.

The story is a saga about a criminal family with two psychopathic brothers with contrasting personalities who build up a criminal empire in London's East End. There...
Published 23 months ago by Dark lady

‹ Previous | 1 2 366 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing glad I only paid reduced price, 19 May 2013
This review is from: The Life (Kindle Edition)
Repetitive and without any story , disappointing throughout. Repeated violence doesn't make a good read . Hoping for better things as I am a big fan of this author .

1.0 out of 5 stars "Same old, same old.....", 17 May 2013
Attila the Hen (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Life (Paperback)
This book is awful. The only redeeming feature is that it was given to me and I did not have to pay for it! Martina Cole has written two good books in my opinion,namely, "Dangerous Lady" and "Maura's Game"; the others by this author that I have read are just basically the same but getting worse as they go on. Obviously, she has made an extremely good living (or should I say a "good earn") out of her books, but I have to say that there is a limit to how many f-words and c-words you can use before it just gets yawningly tedious, particularly when one is really re-hashing the same old story.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not Martina Cole at her best, 14 May 2013
This review is from: The Life (Kindle Edition)
I have read and enjoyed all Martina Cole's books up until this latest one which I just didn't get. As always we had the same good son/bad son, go to mass, Irish mum etc,etc. It all gets a bit predictable after reading so many of her books but I can normally overlook that as her standard of writing is ,for me, brilliant and the stories have me gripped.This time though there were so many characters we didn't get to really know them and I just kept getting mixed up as to who was who. There were so many chapters often only a couple of pages long which were not necessary as they did not define a new part of the story but were just a continuation of the last page. I kept reading on waiting for a story to evolve but it didn't and I found myself getting annoyed wanting the old MC magic to happen but it didn't. Finally I know MC's books contain strong violence at times as this is part of the world she writes about but there is a torture scene towards the end of the book which was so graphic I skipped some of the pages. In future I will stick to Jessie Keane or re-readings M's earlier books.

2.0 out of 5 stars A pretty boring book, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Life (Kindle Edition)
I have read all of Martina Cole's books but I think she needs to give up now on this theme. All her books are very similar and become boring after a while. I thought she gave us something different with her first few books but I feel they have now all become the same and you know exactly what's coming next. I wouldn't recommend this book unless you are an absolute Martina Cole fan.

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Life (Kindle Edition)
to many pages next to nothing on them, 70% of the book nothing happened repeatedly describing characters. very disappointing
compared to her older books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cut & Shove Job, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Life (Kindle Edition)
I am an ardent Martina Cole fan and have read most of what she has written and as such I was very much looking forward to reading The Life.

I know as a Cole fan that you are going to get a somewhat similar theme to the book (Irish, Poor, Gangster, Big Family, Matriarch Mass Loving Mommy, violence some mental illness and a women who see's nothing but her man), however with this book I actually felt like I was reading snippets of all of her other books.

It doesn't help with the lazy character naming, its like she had a pot of all of the other names in her other books and she dipped in when she needed one.

Also as the book went on the characters seem to have an alarming way of completely changing their personality and moral code to fit with the storyline (or chapter which seemed to come every 3 pages)

The Life feels like it has been Cut & Shoved from all of her other books....has she ran out of ideas?

All in all I was disappointed as I am normally a fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring them on., 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Life (Kindle Edition)
Having read all of her books I was prepared with this one to see if it was more of the same but she never fails to make her books compulsive reading. You can almost see the charactors and what will possibly happen but she writes with so much detail about the East End and the gangland culture that you keep on reading...it is so believable ....I think she is brilliant !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Life (Kindle Edition)
Martina Cole at her best. Although Martina,s books have the same sort of storylines I still could not put this book down. 10 out of 10 again.

1.0 out of 5 stars the life, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Life (Hardcover)
The LifeI am glad that I only paid half price for the hardback. This is supposed to be East End gangsters from the 1960's to 1980's. it reads like many many true life crimes in mafia books, and yes, I have read a few! Keep it real Martina, who in the East End needs to kill their own because that's what needs to be done? That is just mafia talk. Two women and the Jump were brillant, and some of the old stuff, from someone who reads a lot and who has bought every book you have written, I am getting seriously bored and regretting paying for the book in the first place. East End is not Little Italy or Hell's Kitchen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did Martina really write this?, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Life (Kindle Edition)
For years Martina has been in my top 3 of favorites and I have read many of her books over and over again, not only will I not read this book again but I am sorry I ever started it!! I can't understand how the books have gone from being so good to this repetitive, padded out and boring, the nonsense and repetitiveness should have been dropped and it should have been sold as a short story or not at all.

Please Martina go back to the classic for past years that you have produced!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 366 | Next ›

The Life
The Life by Martina Cole (Hardcover - 13 Sep 2012)
15.99