5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant
Published on 24 Oct 2011 by Mistyange

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another disappointment
When i was first introduced to Martina Cole around 12 years ago I was gripped, I sought out all of the books and over the years ended up reading the earlier ones a few times over again.

Published on 3 Nov 2011 by Justine H

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another disappointment, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Faithless (Hardcover)

Sadly starting with Faces, I think the quality of books has seriously declined, and things certainly haven't improved with The Faithless. As others have said, too much descriptive narrative especially with regards to Mary? (forgotten the name already!) wanting everything. The same was done with the main character back in Faces. Here we go again with another vile, horrible and evil mother character, and not that long since the last one in The Business either.

As mentioned not a fan of the one page chapters either. A gritty storyline but I actually think it has a pretty depressing, miserable feel to it.

Gone are the days when i'd rush out and buy the book every October, either grab it at your library, wait for the cheap paperback or find the Ebook for free.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish. Why can't I rate it a zero?!, 1 Dec 2011
G. Brewer (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Faithless (Kindle Edition)
Considering I've read all of her books this was SO disappointing. If I could give it '0' I would but I had to give it a '1'. It's like Martina Cole has run out of ideas and just churned out this utter rubbish. It has a boring storyline, repetitive and extremely predictable. She's recycled bits from all her other books and changed the names to make a "new" story. There's no tension, you don't care for the characters and you know what's going to happen next. One thing that was extremely annoying was having three male characters - Jack, Jonny & Jimmy with too similar names. By having three lead characters with the same first letter of their name and the way the chapters jump from here there and everywhere makes for a VERY confusing read. It wouldn't usually be a problem but the story jumps around and to me appeared to be in no logical order. Does she even have an Editor any more? The same with the two female lead characters, Cynthia & Celeste. Utter rubbish. It'll make me think twice about buying another MC book. And the price for the Kindle version "set by the publisher" is extortionate. Save your money and don't buy this book or wait for it to become a 99p bargain. Even then it's a waste of 98p. SO DISAPPOINTED.

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Faithless (Paperback)
I agree with the reviewer who said that this book deserves a zero rating. A minus rating, actually. How did it get published? It's a disgrace. It is badly written, repetitive, incredibly boring and about vile people. The third person narration changes from the viewpoint of one to another of the various characters, often an effective narrative device, but almost all of them are at best illiterate and inarticulate, and say and think the same things over and over again. This may be in character but it makes for dreary reading. There is absolutely no character development and virtually no plot. I couldn't finish it, it's truly awful. I hate the fact that it's on my Kindle, I haven't discovered how to delete yet!

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the faithless!, 23 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Faithless (Hardcover)
I decided to buy the hardcover version of this rather than the Kindle one as it cost less, not quite sure how the high Kindle price can be justified? Surely the whole idea of ebooks is that they cost less whilst being environmentally friendly? Anyway, I'm glad I did buy the hardcover as I would have felt even more cheated if I'd paid for the stupidly priced kindle version.

The writing itself is as good as ever, but the author's tendency to over-describe situations and characters definitely slows down the pace. There is far too much character development and not enough substance to the plot, which really let me down at the end. The characters themselves are believable, but a little bit boring in that they are a re-makes of earlier models and too predictable. THE FAITHLESS seemed to start pretty well and I was carried along by the first few chapters and then it just fizzled out. I forced myself to read to the end hoping that there would be some kind of twist or change in direction to catch me out and restore my faith in Martina Cole, unfortunately it didn't happen.

I guess I could now be considered as one of the faithless as I won't be buying another book from this author unless it receives absolutely amazing reviews!

3.0 out of 5 stars Been there, seen it and read it before *sigh*, 21 Oct 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Faithless (Hardcover)
For the last three books that Martina Cole has written, I finish it and then promise myself I won't waste money buying it full price. I feel terrible saying that but it's the truth. I have always been a huge Martina Cole fan and loved the older books such as `Ladykillers'. Sadly it seems that many authors who have huge success seem to go rapidly downhill. I fear that Martina Cole is now firmly on that list. So after finishing her last book entitled The Family I swore that was it. Yet here I am a year later having broken that promise and paying full price for it. For some reason, due to Martina's sheer talent, I always feel that maybe this is the year she will come back with a bang. 3 years on and I am still not feeling the slightest rumble, let alone bang.

Overall this book was far from terrible, but it is still lacking something which I can't quite put my finger on. The story itself sounded fabulous from the synopsis and I was looking forward to reading this. As I started reading I had high hopes as you are drawn into the world of the loathsome Cynthia Tailor. Martina certainly still has the knack of producing some vile characters and Cynthia is one of them. Cynthia is a character that is constantly wanting more and its pretty clear from the outset that this woman will stop at nothing to get her own way.

I was very excited reading the first few chapters as the story took no time at all to pick up momentum. I was swept along with Cynthia's sister Celeste who has bagged the ultimate prize in her partner Johnny. A local face and a man set for better things. Cynthia's children Gabby and James Junior play a very large part in the beginning of the story as do her parents Mary and Jack.

It becomes clear before long that the story is set over quite a long time period and as w hole the story itself was great, as were the characters. Halfway through and I was still loving the writing but felt that the major difference between this and her older book sis the sheer volume of narrative. I am certainly no book expert, I just know what I like. I don't recall Martina Cole's earlier books ever being this descriptive. If you were to weigh up the descriptive narrative and the characters actually speaking I think people would be shocked. It felt like there was an awful lot of repetition and I really didn't need to be told hundreds of times how much Cynthia wanted everything!!!

I genuinely feel so torn about this book. I actually liked the story and the characters and her writing is still as strong as ever. However, I really disliked the amount of description everything had, and I had that sinking feeling that I was just reading a re-hashed story I had read a million times before. I am still really unsure whether Martina Cole has changed her writing, or whether the competition out there has just got better. These days with the likes of new writers such as Kimberley Chambers and Dreda Say-Mitchell coming along, maybe people expect more. I know it sounds a little sad, but I can't help wishing that Martina would make a monumental comeback with a book that blows everybody away.

Overall I can't say that I disliked this book, but it just isn't as good as some others. No doubt I will still (stupidly) continue paying full price for Martina's new books praying that it's the best ever! I imagine that this book will get really mixed reviews and would suggest to see her better work you should try her earlier stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost Her Edge, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Faithless (Kindle Edition)
To be fair, the book isn't bad, it's readable, her last few have been far worse, but I think it's time to hang up my Martina crush. Her books used to get me in trouble at work because I was unable to put them down until I finished, now I read a chapter before bed. Her last couple have felt like she is bringing out a book for bringing out a books sake. Very boring and predictable. I do however, think this one was slightly better, not yet back on top form. Bring back the days of The Ladykiller and Broken

1.0 out of 5 stars the faithless, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Faithless (Hardcover)
I love Martina Cole as a writer her books such as The Jump. Broken etc were brilliant. This new one is like the last two, a mix up of all her previous characters weak story and characters. The one page chapters just use up writing space as each new chapter starts a quarter of the way down the page and if it happens to be a two page chapter finishes half way down the page. This way every two pages in the book loses a page which makes for less writing but a thicker book! Ms Cole seems to have lost her way and these books are a poor watered down version of her work when her writing was worth reading. Seems its the money and not the contents that counts now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth buing, 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Faithless (Hardcover)
Always been a fan of Martina Cole, but think its time she stopped writing. Thought her last few books wasn't up too much and then Faithless was absolute rubbish. No storyline. Kept picking it up thinking it was going to get better, but it didn't. At one time you started the first page of her books and couldn't put them down, now writers like Jessie Keane, Mandasue Heller, Kimberley Chambers, Dreda Say Mitchel and Karen Woods have taken over, and these books you can't put down. They are fantastic writers. Need to hang you pen up Martina Cole......

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings..., 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Faithless (Kindle Edition)
I have been a huge fan of Martina's for a long time and have met her many times, a truly lovely lady, her early books such as "Ladykiller and Broken etc" are truly brilliant but roll on the years until "The Business" and I was so disappointed with that book, repetative and with no storyline i vowed not to buy another book by MC, then "Hard Girls" came out which was'nt bad, not brilliant and then "The Family" which again was so so...

With The Faithless my heart sank with the first couple of chapters, too much repeating of the same point once more and i really feared that i may actually not finish the book.....But all of a sudden the book gets really interesting and the storyline takes off.

One thing that did puzzle me, why has MC suddenly decided to do a James Patterson and have two page chapters??? Odd... The storyline grips but does suddenly dips right at the end...

Shaky start, enjoyable and gripping middle but disappointing end...

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 24 Oct 2011
Mistyange "Mistyang" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Faithless (Hardcover)
What can I say other than this book is gritty, its gripping and its totally addictive, I could not put it down reading well into the early hours. Martina Cole at her best this is one powerful story. As ever I hate to give away any of the story and would hate to spoil it for other readers so my review is totally on my personal opinion. I highly recommend this book it is one of her best. Look out Martina is back!

The Faithless
The Faithless by Martina Cole (Hardcover - 18 Oct 2011)
17.02