5.0 out of 5 stars Superb crime novel with a love story to boot
Many years ago I listened to the audio version of Dangerous Lady and quite liked it. Since then I hadn’t touched another Martina Cole novel but after reading an interview with the author I decided to give her books another go. I’m very happy that I started with The Ladykiller, as it is one of the best crime thrillers I’ve ever read. The book is about...
Published on 11 Feb 2006 by Veronica

3.0 out of 5 stars The Ladykiller
I really enjoy reading Martina Cole's novels; the realism which she conveys, with gritty and reliable characters, make you want to become part of her world. However, the one thing that strikes me about her novels is their predictability. Cole knows her audience and she has a specific formula: A London gangster; a character with Irish ancestry; and a woman who, despite...
Published on 31 Oct 2011 by Teddy Ludford

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Woow, Wooow!!!, 8 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Kindle Edition)
"What's bred in the bone comes out in the blood."

I was 'pressed' into reading this book by my dear wife who has practically devoured it on a recent holiday and who without divulging any details has spent all holiday telling me what a great book she was reading.

Finally I gave in and read 'The Ladykiller', this being my first Martina Cole book ever. Now I know that my wife didn't exaggerate at all when she praised this book so much and I'm so glad to have read it myself. ​Written in the third person, this book showcases Martina's excellent writing skills. It is the first book in a series featuring DI Kate Burrows and Patrick Kelly.

Everyone knows that Martina Cole is up there at the very top with the best crime fiction authors, but seriously I didn't think this book would be this good. Written back in the 90s, the thoughts it evoked in my mind as I was reading are still valid today, more than two decades later.

The Grantley Ripper is making news by savagely raping and murdering women. He is terrorising the whole community. The ferocity of his attacks indicates that this man really Hates women with a capital H. One of these victims happens to be the young daughter of a local hard man, a repoman, a man feared by many, Patrick Kelly, known for his not so legal businesses around London and other places. Kelly vows to use all his means and connections to catch this sadistic murderer and make him suffer a very slow, agonising death. His daughter was the most important person for him.

DI Kate Burrows is assigned the Grantley Ripper case. She's an excellent, bright detective and she's determined to find the Ripper and lock him away for ever. But Kate Burrows has personal problems of her own.

Being assigned to the case, Kate meets Patrick Kelly and finds herself wanting to help this distraught man in this difficult moment. Though they come from very different backgrounds and with opposing ideas and beliefs, they are both immediately attracted to each other, however such a relationship is bound to compromise her career. Can a police DI have a relationship with a notorious ruthless villain?

From the beginning we know who the ripper is, just an ordinary-looking Englishman but with a secret nasty interest. All characters brought to life by Ms Cole in this thriller are multi-dimensional, realistic people with a background. I loved all the characters (except the Ripper and his mother of course), especially Kate Burrows and Patrick Kelly. I also liked a lot Willy, the scary-looking bald giant who's also Patrick's minder.

All circumstances and story lines in the book are also very believable. The murders are all gruesome and different.

This book is very realistic as it shows what horrible consequences sexual, physical and emotional abuse of children can bring about. The monster in this novel is the production of such abuse. It makes you shudder to think that nowadays in real life there are children suffering the same things this murderer has suffered as a boy. By the end I have to say that I even felt pity for this sadistic killer.

I would have preferred the Grantley Ripper case to be solved in a different method to the one chosen by the author, however, I then understood her reasoning behind this decision and it made sense. I would have also preferred shorter chapters as they are a bit longish.

Having said that, I highly recommend this book to everyone as it is certainly one of the best thrillers I have ever read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glamorising the underworld, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Kindle Edition)
All in all this book has been a very good read, and I can see why Martina Cole's books are the most requested in prison libraries. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the characters, who were very well fleshed out. I began this book with very high expectations as I am aware of the author's tremendous success, and I was a little surprised to see parts of the book where the point of view jumped around from one person to another. I felt parts of the book were quite anti-police, and definitely glamorised criminal activity. I almost stopped reading it at the point where the main character, Patrick Kelly - a known criminal, was told by the chief constable that he would have all the paperwork with details of all the known sex offenders in the area on his desk. I work in the police and am happy to say it just doesn't work like that. Such information is on specialist password protected software, which is highly monitored. This just wouldn't happen in the real world. But hey, it's just a book and perhaps it was set in a time when this could have happened, I'm just saying it's highly unlikely.
Having said that, the book kept me engaged right up until the end. I would certainly read more of Martina Cole's books and I recommend 'The Ladykiller' to anyone interested in crime thrillers. It is a graphic read, and can be quite brutal in places, but that is the nature of the beast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purely addictive!!!!!!!, 27 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Paperback)
This book is so hard to put down , i just loved it from the moment i started it and unfortunately for me when it finished - sob sob...... The criminal world of prostitute's , drugs , gangsters and police alike certainly appealed to me. The murders were at times graphic to say the least but ones that u grimaced at but still wanted to read futher on. The relationship between the police + the 'underground' amazed me and especially the sub-plot aside this of the romance between Patrick and Kate. It is their intense relationship alongside the crime that makes me a sucker for chick novels want to read more undoubtedly.
Their huge overwhelmness at eachother and all that they had been through make a pleasant read. Overall, Cole's novels are really great and after reading this , with 'Broken' im sure i have not seen the last of her books for a long time!.

4.0 out of 5 stars This should have a warning label, 23 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Paperback)
So where to begin with this suspense/thriller novel??

I am shocked at this book, fair enough the author has an imagination however I do feel that there should be some kind of age restriction or warning label on the cover, I know what you're going to say, read the back cover it clearly states that the horrific character George Markham indulges in "an orgy of vicious sexual depravity" but in places I feel that this book went too far, was too graphic and was not necessary. The need to explain and involve children in the storyline disgusted me and made me feel like crying.

I also feel that novels like these, may make the reader open their eyes to the 'modern' world we live in but can also increase the fear of crime throughout society. I was interested to see the way the Police service was explained in the book, the so called CID which should be renamed the 'boys club' constantly mentioning that DI Kate Burrows may not be up to the case did not work for me. I am not trying with a feminist approach here but felt that the author tried to include as much male chauvinist attitude to niche both the male and female readers of the crime genre.

On a lighter note the reasons for me giving the novel 4 stars are down to the fact that this book was clearly researched and planned. Similar in the way Martina writes her first book, the reader is constantly thrown between the present day, the killers past and the turn of events from his childhood which leaves the reader speculating as to whether or not Markham's past contributed to his sick activities of the main storyline. The fact that a person's natural instinct for revenge for the killers activities are clearly stated and show that Cole has considered a real persons feelings about the activities that go on in the story.

Markham's paranoia about what his is doing is very subtle and so made me feel that if he was a real person then he would be a very dangerous person indeed. The fact that when Markham continues to kill the deaths become more violent. Too conclude I would recommend this book to other readers but would warn them first that in places the book is graphic but is a fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the wife, 2 April 2014
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Kindle Edition)
My wife reads a lot of books , and quite quickly too, She really enjoyed this book and is looking to order more from the same author.
Many Thanks,
If she is content , the world is a quieter place.
JT

5.0 out of 5 stars Crude, frightening, BRILLIANT!, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Kindle Edition)
My first Martina Cole read, definitely won't be my last, all the characters are so well written, its one of the few books that I haven't had to 'page back' to see who's who, I've read many books about serial killers, but this beats the lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my all time favorite books, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Kindle Edition)
This has definatly been one of my all time favorites, i remember reading it when i'd just met my now hubby, around 19 years ago..lol it was freaky as he drove the same car as the ladykiller when i met him..lol.

If you haven't yet read any of Martina cole's books. Start with this one and you wont be disappointed.
I have now read it 3 times over the years and its just as good each time...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, Absorbing and unputdownable, 6 Jun 2012
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Paperback)
This is by far and away the best Martina Cole book in my opinion. It is quite simply a roller coaster of a ride following George and his horrid little hobby. It'll bring all your emotions out, anger, shock, sadness and determination. How Martina gets into the minds of her characters is simply amazing, she brings them to life so realistically, she just does an incredible job. This is one of those books you don't want to put down but you also don't want it to end it is so gripping. If you are faint hearted then maybe this is not for you, if you are open to the fact that nasty stuff can happen then well, settle down and be in for right treat and enjoy you escape into Martina's world and I bet you'll be in awe of her writing skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!, 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Kindle Edition)
Buying a Martina Cole book is never a disappointment. You know you're going to get taken on a journey through the dark and seedy side of London and you will want to shower yourself afterwards, as nothing you read about is clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars intense, gripping . martina cole is exceptional, 29 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Paperback)
ladykiller is an addictive book, once started i challenge you to stop reading. the characters are incredibly complex and realistic, a fast paced thriller that is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat. the main two characters ( patrick kelly and kate burrows ) are so well written it i felt i knew them personally. i couldnt wait to read her other books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

The Ladykiller
The Ladykiller by Martina Cole (Paperback - 29 Oct 2009)