5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!
An excellent book and much deeper and more engaging than you might otherwise assume. The characters are wonderful and I found myself very tied up in their lives. When I finished I even had a book hangover from the withdrawal, a superb summer read!
Published 14 months ago by Alex M

1.0 out of 5 stars Mindless Chicklit Mush
This book put me in mind of a dispersible aspirin – something that starts out solid and promises to make you feel better but actually fizzles out into nothing significant.

Published 4 months ago by Celia Fife

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 6 July 2013
This review is from: The State We're In (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning, 25 July 2013
I am going to keep this short and sweet because I don't want to reveal a single morsel of the plot, but please take my word for it as a die-hard Adele Parks fan that this really is one of her best books to date. I became hooked after someone lent me a battered copy of 'Playing Away' a few years ago and realised that I wasn't just reading any old chick-lit. Adele's books are raw, thrilling and always sensitively written and 'The State We're In' is no exception. Empathy with each and every character in the book, whether you like them or not, is simply impossible to avoid. I can't recommend this book highly enough. But when you've finished - please remember to #KeepTheSecret!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful..., 27 Dec 2013
5 stars because that is what this beautifully written book deserves. I loved all the characters. I literally could not put it down. Read it. No spoilers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 10 Nov 2013
I stumbled on this book by chance and after reading many of the reviews decided to give it a try, I'm so glad I did. It was beautiful, such a well written and mesmerising story that I couldn't put it down and finished it in a few days. For anyone who likes to read about love I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best.., 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: The State We're In (Paperback)
One of the best books I have ever read. I was genuinely gutted when I finished the book. An excellent plot throughout with lots of unexpected twists and turns. Finished it within a few days, too good to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Aug 2013
Loved it another great book from Adele parks she always leaves a final twist at the end I would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit, 25 Aug 2013
Another great book by Adele Parks! Only negative was that it had to end. Already looking forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 23 Aug 2013
A great read with lots of twists and turns. Unpredictable and edgy. Difficult to put down a good holiday read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mindless Chicklit Mush, 3 May 2014
This review is from: The State We're in (Paperback)

The story starts with Eddie, the ‘baddie’ - whom I actually liked - but after page 11, the time-frame leaps forward several years and Eddie is all but killed off. As for the main characters, I tried really hard but could not get to like either of them. Both are stereotypes: Jo is your bog-standard 35-year-old, single “sleep around,” longing to meet The One so that she can get married; Dean is the physically perfect “love ‘em and leave ‘em” commitment-phobe.

There are no surprises in any of the 400 pages. I accurately predicted events long before they happened. I was, though, looking forward to the ending, not least because the dust jacket had promised that it would knock me off my feet. It didn’t, but it did leave my mouth hanging open. I just couldn’t believe the cowardly, corny cop-out of the last two-and-a-half pages.

I wanted to shake Adele Parks and tell her to move on from writing this mindless, chicklit mush. I'm sure she’s capable of so much more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 15 April 2014
I didn't like this book. Read about half of it then skimmed through the rest just to find out what happened at the end. And that was a massive disappointment. Most of the book I found unbelievable, Jo was a pain and I don't believe that Dean would ever have fallen for her. I have read Adele Parks books before and enjoyed them, but not this one, sorry.

The State We're in
The State We're in by Adele Parks (Paperback - 16 Jan 2014)
3.19