Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on 12 December 2012
Never before have I been so desperate to reach into a book and strangle the life out of the two main characters.
Neil, right from the start, comes across as the most boring, plain, wet-mop of a man despite the writer's waffle about how he is kind, funny, attractive & interesting.
Standing with his mates in a pub with a glass of wine?!? Sometimes the upper-middle class setting from the writer really irritates me.
His friendship with Karl is very unrealistic, Karl being a typical mans-man sleeping with everything that moves, disrespecting women, scared of settling down and forever boozing.
He actually made for uncomfortable reading.

Nat is worse if you can believe it. We are told by the writer that Neil and Nat are 100% in love, always honest with each other and respectful of one another.
So why Nat couldn't tell Neil why she didn't want a baby in the first place and continued to keep her secret is mind-boggling!
Pages and pages waffle on with Neil believing Nat's feelings are 'unnatural' and not once do the 'loving couple' actually properly discuss it.
And why were Nat's feelings about not having a baby made out to be so wrong?

The tedious little black book carry-on: what female actually gets one of those out and calls everyone in it to arrange a meeting??? I didn't know whether to feel angry, sad or irritated by this part of the book, so I just went for mind-numbingly bored.

Neil's strip club jaunts were so ridiculous and pathetic I had to laugh, especially as the author goes into great (too great!) detail about Neil's attraction to the stripper's nipples and why. To then have Neil never out the place, just wanting to 'talk' and be in the 'company' of the stripper is taking the biscuit.
Then becoming friends with her and her little daughter?!?!? Please! It actually got a tad creepy here and my dislike for Neil deepened.

Nat then practically has a breakdown and does something so unrealistic for someone in a supposed loving relationship to do, despite the few problems, which is when I was tempted to throw the book in the bin.
But I had to see how pathetic the ending was, and I was right, it was ridiculous, cheesy and very very obvious. Steer clear.
on 28 February 2012
I am a fan of Adele Parks and have read all of her previous books. I consider her among the best writers in the Chick Lit genre at present and was really looking forward to reading this book. Disappointingly, I lost interest in this tale before I even reached the halfway point in it, but I stuck with it until the end in the hope that it would get better - unfortunately, it didn't.

The characters annoyed me and I quickly reached the point where couldn't care less what happened to them. I longed for another storyline running alongside the main characters' one, just to provide some relief, but that was sadly absent here. I found that most of the events that happen in the book are described in excruciating detail too, which is completely unnecessary and it spoilt the flow of the story as a whole for me.

A real let down from a usually entertaining Author.
on 21 September 2012
I adore all her other books, the type I can devour in a day.
However, I was fed up of this before I'd even reached pg40! So long winded and it just waffles on and on.
It took me at least 4 days to do those 40 pages I was that uninterested by it, I've not even bothered reading anymore and chucked it out.
Do not recommend at all
on 14 November 2014
Found this in a villa I was staying in on holiday. I can see why it got left behind! Although it starts well and I had high hopes for some enjoyable chick-lit, it swiftly plummeted and became utterly boring and inane. The two main characters are bland and unlikeable,with a wimpy pathetic husband and a wife who was too stupid to tell him her big 'secret' about why she didn't want children. As to contacting ex-boyfriends for dates - who does that? It was just so unbelievable that they could live together in the same house and not talk about things or have a screaming row about it all, when they were meant to be so in love at the start of the story. Hated this book, won't read any more of hers, even on holidays when there is nothing else to read!
on 4 April 2011
I have just finished reading this book and I have to say I found it awful. I usually like Adele Parks and find her novels well written and researched. However this one is full of pap in the middle that is totally pointless and tells you nothing at all. The ending is beyond patronising and the character has to have some special reason to not wanting children - er why? I personally do, but I have friends in the thirties who just do not. End of. I can totally understand this. Some of the characters were very thin and one dimensional - well everyone bar Neil and Nat which get far too much time dedicated to without being told very much. One felt reading it like you were peddling up hill in the wrong gear, expending energy through frustration at the pot holes, without actually getting very far. Disappointing.
on 16 August 2010
I have read all of Adele Parks and usually really enjoy them but I found this one clumsy and patronising. I thought wow this could be a great read as it starts with an interesting idea of woman not wanting children but it quickly became apparent that this wasn't really the case. I'll try and not give to much of the story as I don't want to spoil it for anyone but I thought the plot became totally implausible towards the middle and continues that way to the end. It feels like the author just wanted shot of the book so just rattled off an ending and didn't really explore any of the issues that had come up in previous chapters (like her husbands response to the mother issue). I am also disappointed that the main female character is not allowed to simply not want children. That there has to be a dark secret reason behind this. My hardback copy which i usually keep will be going straight to oxfam.
88 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 August 2011
Awful, I threw it in the bin after I had read it, not even worth repacking for my flight home!
on 3 October 2012
I can't really add much more to the other reviews, it was tedious and monotonous and I guessed the ending. Neil really got on my nerves and as to why Natalie didn't tell him the truth was beyond childish
on 15 July 2011
I have read and enjoyed many of Adele Parks's books but found this so tedious and monotonous that I ended up skipping chunks of it.
Also I found the story line totally unconvincing and ridiculous.(Who would look up all their ex boyfriends when they find out the husband they are meant to adore wants a baby?)
I read 4 other books on holiday (Poison tree,One Day,A Tiny Bit Marvellous,To My Best Friends) All of them more entertaining than this.
on 9 June 2011
What a let down!
As a dedicated Adele Parks fan I was excited about reading this but was consistently disappointed from page one. The author seems to have departed from her usual style - a style which worked and earned her her legion of loyal fans - and moved on to what I can only describe as trying to be witty but failing miserably. I found the characters to be riddled with cliches and implausible neuroses - I found it hard to even like let alone sympathise with any of them and the idea of the little black book and revisiting of the contents complete nonsense in this day and age of social networking. I just didn't believe it would have happened.
The exes were badly written and again relied on cliches and I have to be honest and say that I was unable to finish the book as I was bored to tears by it.
All in all a real shame - I feel let down by one of my previously favourite authors and agree with another review on here that were she not an established author, it is incredibly doubtful that this utter tripe would ever have been published.